All Brazilian win on the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, March 3, 2013 – At the end of the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit, Brazilian duo Rebecca-Liliane took home gold in the women’s competition while compatriots Thiago-Alvaro did the same in the men’s final.
Brazil took home gold medals in both the men's and women's competition|
The stop was played in Peru where the best beach volleyball teams on the continent – 16 for each gender – were welcomed at the Los Delfines Resort in the Miraflores neighbourhood in Lima.
In the first men’s semifinal match, the Grimalt cousins (CHI 1) faced Venezuela’s Mussa-Colina with the cousins claiming victory in a 2-0 (21-14, 21-14) win. The second semi-final match saw Thiago-Alvaro (BRA 1) overcome Hevaldo-Edson (BRA 2) in a tie-breaker 2-1 (21-12, 21-23, 15-10).
The match for the bronze medal pitted Mussa-Colina (VEN) against Hevaldo-Edson (BRA 2). The victory was for Venezuela 2-1 (26-24, 19-21, 18-16) in another exciting tie-breaker.
In the finals of the men’s competition Chile's Grimalt cousins went head-to-head with Brazil's Thiago-Alvaro, which ended with victory for the latter duo after an exciting tie-breaker 2-1 (21-16, 20-22, 15-10).
"We know the Grimalt cousins pretty well so we knew how to spike them and what non-forced errors they could be forced to do. It was a very intensive match and we are sure that the real winners are the audience. We thank Peru for this stop and their great welcome,” said Thiago Santos Barbosa.
Unfortunately for hosts Peru, both the men’s and women’s pairs of Wamo-Roger and Andrea-Mirian were eliminated in the quarterfinals.
In the first semifinal match of the women’s tournament, Brazil’s Elize-Fernanda (BRA 2) beat Argentina’s Gallay-Zonta (ARG 1), 2-0 (21-15, 28-26). Rebecca-Liliane (BRA 1) won the second semifinal match against Galindo-Galindo of Colombia (COL) 2-0 (21-13, 23-21).
The finals saw two Brazilian teams face each other and the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit in Peru ended with victory for Rebecca-Liliane in a 2-0 win (21-14, 21-18) over Elize-Fernanda.
"We are very happy with this result. We worked very hard to win our place on the Podium,” said Rebecca Barbosa. “The organisation was excellent, the atmosphere welcoming and the beach was great. We felt in love with Peru,” she continued to say.
Argentine duo, Gallay-Zonta overcame the Galindo sisters 2-0 (21-16, 21-13) to take the third place.
1st place: Thiago Santos Barbosa- Alvaro Magliano M. Filho (BRA 1)
2nd place: Marco Grimalt Krogh – Esteban Grimalt Fuster (CHI 1)
3rd place: Farid Mussa – Leonard Colina (VEN)
1st place: Rebeca Barbosa Da Silva – Liliane Simoes Maestrini (BRA 1)
2nd place: Elize Maia Secomandi – Fernanda Berti Alves (BRA 2)
3rd place: Ana Gallay – Virginia Zonta (ARG 1)
- Technical Seminar-VIS held in Indonesia in June
- India hosts Technical Seminar on Setting
- Ouagadougou hosts Level 1 Coaches Course
- Coaching assistance programme takes place in Haiti
- Level I Coaches Course completed in Tunisia
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- Cuba and USA crowned in Punta Cana
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Our Side of the Net project hits Novi Sad
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- School teachers attend course in US Virgin Islands
- Volleyball in the Pacific wraps up for 2015
- Poland, Serbia, Turkey and hosts Azerbaijan make European Games semis
- Kenya, Algeria turn attention to World Grand Prix
- Top band The Potbelleez to entertain Australia-Brazil crowds
- Latvia's Plavins and Regza take European Games gold
- Betschart and Eiholzer win 'Alpine derby' at European Games
- Azerbaijan edge Belgium in five sets at European Games
- Russia, Netherlands win five-setters at European Games
- Red Dragons take first European Games win in tiebreak thriller
- Poland take third tiebreak win at European Games
- Egypt holds successful Level II Coaches Course
- Bahrain hosts VIS Technical Seminar
- Level I VCP Coaches Course held in Bhutan
- Kenya and Algeria ready for Women's African Championship final
- Russia open fourth day of action at European Games with show of strength
- France get first victory at European Games
- Women's competition organised in Palestine
- New version of FIVB Referee Online Course launched
- Vanuatu hosts VCP Teachers Course
- Russia win thrilling European Games clash
- Turkey upset Serbia in European Games Pool A
- Serbia team show their support
- "Our side of the net" project gathers 400 children in Novi Sad
- 1,500 kids take part in Mini-Volleyball Day in Portugal
- Level I Coaches Course held in Cordoba, Argentina
- Dutch, German and Serbian teams start European Games in top form in pool B
- Italy down 'Yellow Tigers' in Pool A opener, Azerbaijan get the party started at Crystal Hall, Poland upset Turkey at European Games
- The European Games begin
- Philippines hosts successful VCP Beach Volleyball Grassroots Course
- Level II Coaches Course hosted in Cape Verde
- Turkish Volleyball Federation appoints TSE Consulting to facilitate long-term strategy development
- FIVB/CEV Volleyball Technical Seminars a huge success in England
- 700 youngsters enjoy Gira Volei in Alentejo