Kiwi men delight in New Zealand Open win
Bay of Plenty, New Zealand, February 4, 2013 – New Zealand men’s pair Brendon Heath and Sam O’Dea delighted their home fans with victory at the Marathon Visual Media NZ Beach Volleyball Open.
New Zealand's Brendon Heath and Sam O'Dea beat the USA's Tri Bourne and Will Montgomery in the NZ Open |
In the final they came up against the US team of Tri Bourne and Will Montgomery, who had won at the Hamilton competition a week previously and started strongly to win the first set.
With a vocal crow of 1,000 behind them though Heath and O’Dea fought back to win the second and they carried their momentum into the final set and built an early lead. The US pair fought back late on, but the Kiwis were solid in their defence and held on to win 2-1.
O'Dea has competed 11 times on the FIVB World Tour while Heath has made six appearances, the last being in 2011, however they have never competed internationally together.
Despite the defeat the US duo had done enough to win the overall New Zealand international tour title.
In the women’s final German pair Julia Sude and Chantal Laboureur held off the challenge of Australian Olympian Tamsin Hinchley and New Zealand’s Micah Lindsay-Brown. It means Sude and Laboureur were also crowned overall tour champions.
The German duo took control quickly in the first set and while the Trans-Tasman pair put Sude and Laboureur under pressure in the second, the Europeans finished with a 2-0 win. It meant Hinchley and Lindsay-Brown had to settle for a second consecutive silver medal a week after finishing second in Hamilton.
Julia Tilley and Shaunna Polley, and Melissa Ruru and Alice Bain, both New Zealand teams, shared the women’s bronze, while Ben and Edwin O’Dea shared the men’s bronze with the USA’s Mark Burik and Jeremy Casebeer.
- Anderson announces break from volleyball
- Closing Ceremony ends IRCC in Zimbabwe
- Beach volleyball coaching course completed in Qatar
- Coaches course begins in Cameroon
- CEV President delighted at successful General Assembly
- Cool Volley takes off in Cordoba
- 2014 Fair Play Award presented to Romanian Beach Volleyballers Ordean and Melniciuc
- CEV launches “Green Way” campaign
- CEV announces organisers of European Championships
- CEV goes social, with new Twitter, Facebook accounts
- CEV and Mikasa extend their partnership for another four years
- CEV President reviews year of success for Europe’s Volleyball family
- CEV President opens XXXV General Assembly in Antalya
- Northern Marianas turn to Cool Volley for growth
- CEV BoA sends message of unity and cohesion on eve of XXXV General Assembly
- CAVB Referees Course ends in Burkina Faso
- ExCom meeting opens busy week for CEV
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- VakifBank adds Super Cup glory
- Myanmar hosts Technical Seminar
- Coaches course completed in Chennai
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- International coaches course begins in Costa Rica
- IRCC begins in Zimbabwe
- Cameroon hosts Teachers VCP
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Iran, Qatar match highlights day two of Asian U20 Championships
- Marte Hoffiz to preside Dominican Hall of Fame induction ceremony
- Day two set to begin at Asian U20 Men’s Championship
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Lima ready for first edition of U20 Final Four
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Halkbank clinch Turkish Super Cup crown
- Congo hosts fifth Volleyball festival
- Auckland completes VCP coaching on a high note
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- JaVA look forward to increased participation in Developmental Volleyball Championship
- Wiener Städtische announced as Serbian League sponsor for ninth season
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Benfica edge Castêlo to win Portuguese Supercup