Splendid action on Day One at Druif Beach in Aruba
Oranjestad, Aruba, November 30, 2012 – The men’s duos of Trinidad & Tobago, Mexico and Dominican Republic and the women´s teams of Puerto Rico-A and Costa Rica-B won their two matches of day one at the Aruba Beach Volleyball Tournament, the eleventh stop of the 2012 NORCECA Circuit on Friday.
Fabien Whitfield of Trinidad & Tobago celebrates after winning a match against USA-B team of Matt Motter and Derek Olson on Friday|
Playing in Pool C, Trinidadians Fabien Whitfield and Daneil Williams and Mexicans Juan Virgen and Lombardo Ontiveros both claimed victories over the teams of USA-B and Barbados.
Whitfield/Williams first beat Barbados’ Kyle Browne and Hugh Sealey 21-17, 21-12 and then overcame Matt Motter and Derek Olson of USA-B in three sets (14-21, 22-20, 15-8). Virgen/Ontiveros edged Motter/Olson 2-1 (21-17, 19-21, 15-12) before crushing Browne/Sealey 21-9, 21-6.
In Pool D, the Dominicans Luis Adames and German Recio notched a 21-18, 21-18 victory over Domingo Ávila and Otto Penso of Panama and the overwhelmed Curacao’s Holmi Cathalina and Algidio Juliana 21-10, 21-10.
In the women’s division, Puerto Ricans Yarleen Santiago and Yamileska Yantin and Costa Ricans Ingrid Morales and Natalia Alfaro won their two matches of Pool D and C respectively.
Santiago/Yantín first defeated the United States-B team of Stevi Robinson and Kirby Burnham by scores of 21-16, 21-11 and then beat compatriots Dariam Acevedo and Tatiana Encarnacion of Puerto Rico-B by 21-13, 21-18.
Morales/Alfaro won a three-setter (21-16, 15-21, 15-8) over Mexico’s Bibi Candelas and Martha Revuelta and followed with a 21-13, 21-13 night victory under the lights over Dominican Republic’s Diana Peguero and Nairobi Agramonte.
Men’s results of Friday
Pool A: United States-A d Nicaragua 2-0 (21-13, 21-14); Nicaragua d Costa Rica 2-0 (23-21, 21-18)
Pool B: Guatemala d Cayman Islands 2-0 (21-14, 21-19); Aruba d Cayman Islands 2-0 (21-14, 21-10)
Pool C: Trinidad & Tobago d Barbados 2-0 (21-17, 21-12); Mexico d United States-B 2-1 (21-17, 19-21, 15-12); Trinidad & Tobago d United States-B 2-1 (14-21, 22-20, 15-8); Mexico d Barbados 2-0 (21-9, 21-6)
Pool D: St. Lucia d Curazao 2-0 (21-15, 21-16); Dominican Republic d Panama 2-0 (21-18, 21-18); Dominican Republic d Curazao 2-0 (21-10, 21-10); St. Lucia d Panama 2-0 (21-16, 21-12).
Women’s results of Friday
Pool A: Nicaragua d Cayman Islands 2-0 (21-15, 21-18); Cayman Islands d Canada 2-0 (21-13, 21-12)
Pool B: St. Lucia d Trinidad & Tobago 2-0 (21-12, 21-14); United States-A d St. Lucia 2-0 (21-6, 21-3).
Pool C: Dominican Republic d St. Vincent 2-0 (21-9, 21-4); Costa Rica-B d Mexico 2-1 (21-16, 15-21, 15-8); Mexico d St. Vincent 2-0 (21-7, 21-12); Costa Rica d Dominican Republic 2-0 (21-13, 21-13).
Pool D: Puerto Rico-B d Costa Rica-A 2-0 (21-14, 21-14); Puerto Rico-A d United States-B 2-0 (21-16, 21-11); United States-B d Costa Rica-A 2-0 (21-14, 21-17); Puerto Rico-A d Puerto Rico-B 2-0 (21-13, 21-18).
- Cuba and USA crowned in Punta Cana
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Our Side of the Net project hits Novi Sad
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- School teachers attend course in US Virgin Islands
- Volleyball in the Pacific wraps up for 2015
- Poland, Serbia, Turkey and hosts Azerbaijan make European Games semis
- Kenya, Algeria turn attention to World Grand Prix
- Top band The Potbelleez to entertain Australia-Brazil crowds
- Latvia's Plavins and Regza take European Games gold
- Betschart and Eiholzer win 'Alpine derby' at European Games
- Azerbaijan edge Belgium in five sets at European Games
- Russia, Netherlands win five-setters at European Games
- Red Dragons take first European Games win in tiebreak thriller
- Poland take third tiebreak win at European Games
- Egypt holds successful Level II Coaches Course
- Bahrain hosts VIS Technical Seminar
- Level I VCP Coaches Course held in Bhutan
- Kenya and Algeria ready for Women's African Championship final
- Russia open fourth day of action at European Games with show of strength
- France get first victory at European Games
- Women's competition organised in Palestine
- New version of FIVB Referee Online Course launched
- Vanuatu hosts VCP Teachers Course
- Russia win thrilling European Games clash
- Turkey upset Serbia in European Games Pool A
- Serbia team show their support
- "Our side of the net" project gathers 400 children in Novi Sad
- 1,500 kids take part in Mini-Volleyball Day in Portugal
- Level I Coaches Course held in Cordoba, Argentina
- Dutch, German and Serbian teams start European Games in top form in pool B
- Italy down 'Yellow Tigers' in Pool A opener, Azerbaijan get the party started at Crystal Hall, Poland upset Turkey at European Games
- The European Games begin
- Philippines hosts successful VCP Beach Volleyball Grassroots Course
- Level II Coaches Course hosted in Cape Verde
- Turkish Volleyball Federation appoints TSE Consulting to facilitate long-term strategy development
- FIVB/CEV Volleyball Technical Seminars a huge success in England
- 700 youngsters enjoy Gira Volei in Alentejo
- Weather cannot turn off the joy of CEV Youth Summer Festival in Gijón
- Dominican Republic and Cuba to FIVB World Cup
- 7,000 youngsters enjoy annual Power Cup in Finland
- JaVA continues push to develop coaching skills in Jamaica
- AVC concludes successful Board of Administration Meeting
- Drawing of lots sets the tone for CEV Volleyball Cup and CEV Volleyball Challenge Cup
- White tide on Luanco beach for first CEV Youth Summer Festival of the year
- FIVB/CEV Technical Seminars begin in England