Brazil, Chile and Argentina on the podium at the first stop of the South American Beach Volleyball tour 2012/13
The two final matches were broadcast live by the new volleyball official channel TyC Sports |
Santa Fe, Argentina, November 25, 2012 - The first stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Tour 2012/13 ended yesterday with a gold medal victory for Brazilian women’s duo Lili Simoes-Rebecca Silva, over Chileans Francisca Rivas-Camilla Pazdirek at the Triferto Resort in the city of Santa Fe. The bronze medal went to the Argentine team of Ana Gallay-Virginia Zonta who represented their country for the first time at the Olympics in London this summer.
Chilean cousins Marco and Esteban Grimalt took gold in the men’s competition after winning the first and third sets against Brazilian team Alvaro-Thiago and then a tie-break. Venezuela’s Farid Mussa-Jackson Henriquez won the bronze medal.
In the women’s competition, Chile made history as Francisca Rivas and Camila Pazdirek defeated Venezuelans Orquidea Vera-Grankelina Rodrriguez to bring Chile for the first time into the final. Unfortunately Gallay-Zonta were unable to win against the experienced Lili Simoes and Rebecca Silva in their semi-final, which also ended with a score of 2-0.
Gallay-Zonta took the courts again later that day. With Zonta’s outstanding serve and Gallay’s agility at the net, the duo overcame Vera-Rodriguez to win bronze for Argentina in a match that ended 2-0 (21-12, 21-14).
In the gold medal match Lili-Rebecca did not allow the Chilean team an easy time and won the final match 2-0 (21-13, 21-15). Lili was the MVP of the women’s competition.
In the men’s competition, Argentine team Pablo Suarez-Santiago Etchegaray showed an improvement in their game against Marco and Esteban Grimalt though it was not enough to win a place in the final. Alvaro-Thiago then brought Brazil into the final with a 2-0 win over Venezuela’s Mussa-Henriquez.
Mussa-Henriquez beat Suarez-Etchegaray (2-0) to win the bronze medal, while the Argentine team finished fourth in their best performance as a team.
The men's final match pitted Thiago-Alvaro against the Grimalt cousins. Brazil won the first set easily and led the third until Esteban scored two aces, finishing the match with a score of 15-13 and capturing gold for Chile.
- Anderson announces break from volleyball
- Closing Ceremony ends IRCC in Zimbabwe
- Beach volleyball coaching course completed in Qatar
- Coaches course begins in Cameroon
- CEV President delighted at successful General Assembly
- Cool Volley takes off in Cordoba
- 2014 Fair Play Award presented to Romanian Beach Volleyballers Ordean and Melniciuc
- CEV launches “Green Way” campaign
- CEV announces organisers of European Championships
- CEV goes social, with new Twitter, Facebook accounts
- CEV and Mikasa extend their partnership for another four years
- CEV President reviews year of success for Europe’s Volleyball family
- CEV President opens XXXV General Assembly in Antalya
- Northern Marianas turn to Cool Volley for growth
- CEV BoA sends message of unity and cohesion on eve of XXXV General Assembly
- CAVB Referees Course ends in Burkina Faso
- ExCom meeting opens busy week for CEV
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- VakifBank adds Super Cup glory
- Myanmar hosts Technical Seminar
- Coaches course completed in Chennai
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- International coaches course begins in Costa Rica
- IRCC begins in Zimbabwe
- Cameroon hosts Teachers VCP
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Iran, Qatar match highlights day two of Asian U20 Championships
- Marte Hoffiz to preside Dominican Hall of Fame induction ceremony
- Day two set to begin at Asian U20 Men’s Championship
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Lima ready for first edition of U20 Final Four
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Halkbank clinch Turkish Super Cup crown
- Congo hosts fifth Volleyball festival
- Auckland completes VCP coaching on a high note
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- JaVA look forward to increased participation in Developmental Volleyball Championship
- Wiener Städtische announced as Serbian League sponsor for ninth season
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Benfica edge Castêlo to win Portuguese Supercup