STARTING PLAYERS / SUBSTITUTES
RANKING 2000 - 2008
After the decisive victory with 3:1 against GER in the preliminary round, the team had to play against USA in the quarter finals, and had to leave after the 2:3 defeat against the Olympic champion USA and thus finally came in on position 8.
Team in general
· Team stuffed with younger players, with only 3 players of the OG 2004 (average age 26.0); 3 players under 23 years – nevertheless, experienced enough (team average of 113 matches).
· Players behaved cleverly and with experience – with setter No 9 Grbic and No 14 Miljkovic, they have two outstanding leading players! (computer assisted game control).
· Combination of jump serve and floater with little direct effect (average by set 0.7) – No 14 Miljkovic one of the best jump server (rank 4 – 0.29 avg by set).
· Mixture of current techniques with excellent tactical adaptation (preparation of block/ defensive situations). Little direct effect (average by set 0.6).
· With players No 8 Samardzic (libero) and No 10 Nikic, reception all in all stable (65 % success); situation-related use of overhand reception.
· 3-player formation against jumpserve (or: 2-player formation against floater).
Set / Attack Complex 1 and Complex 2
· The experienced setter No 9 Grbic sets balls in very precise and technically skilled ways. Yet, the distribution of balls with little first tempo (about 15 %) and even rather seldom backcourt attack pos. 6 (Pipe), and also the clear distribution of functions are easy to figure out.
· Attack in complex I: They prefer playing with varying speed via outside positions and with slightly higher number of passes via No 14 Miljkovic (backcourt pos. 1). First-tempo attacks (usually after perfect reception)!
· Attack in complex II: Strong emphasis on high outside attacks from diagonal sets and from backcourt pos. 1 - between 40-50 % go via Miljkovic (top scorer list: rank 3)! Almost no first tempo in counter-attack.
Block / Defence
· Deficit in block compared to the TOP 4 (2.17 compared to 3.0-3.2 avg by set).
· Successfull in group blocks (also in 3-player block) on outside positions – No 12 Geric also in the middle of the net! No 18 Podrascanin (list of Best Blockers: position 10) strong on outside positions!
· In defence, strict speciliazation on positions (MB and libero pos. 5; reception-outside attackers pos. 6); with No 8 Samardzic (libero) and No 10 Nikic, they have two very good defenders (in ranking list of Best Digger: position 6 and 8).