STARTING PLAYERS / SUBSTITUTES
RANKING 2000 - 2008
As second of group B, RUS beat BUL by 3:1 in the quarter finals; in an exciting semi final – after being 0:2 behind – they lost by small margin 2:3 against the USA; a final victory against ITA (3:1) brought them the bronze medal.
Team in general
· Team formation – mixture of veteran, experienced players (4 older than 29 years, 5 players from the OG 2004) and younger players (4 younger than 24 years); together with the USA “tallest” team (average without libero 202 cm).
· Represent athletic volleyball with strengths in attack from high sets – improved tactics and behaviour in the game (compute assisted game control).
· Kind of serve varies (>30 % float) – tactical adaptation to the opponent! High rate of direct success (average by set 1.4) and with No 13 Ostapenko one player ranking seventh in the list.
· Stable and with No 16 Verbov and No 8 Tetyukhin two outstanding reception players (ranking second and fourth) among them!
· At jump serve reception in 3-player formation; against float serve the 2-player formation predominates – often the outstanding libero No 16 Verbov takes over.
Set / Attack Complex 1 and Complex 2
· Balanced technically well-versed and precise distribution of sets as well as individual adaptation of the settings by the young setter No 6 Grankin, particularly with the diagonal player No 17 Mikhaylov!
· Attack in complex I: Prefer second tempo attack via outside positions – particularly speedy and highly efficient combination sets in attack at pos. 2 (Mikhaylov)! Very efficient at high outside attacks after diagonal sets from the court to pos. 4/2.
· Attack in complex II: In counterattack, strong emphasis via the outside positions and back court pos. 1 (No 17 Mikhaylov) - successful top scorer (ranking second) and efficient spiker (ranking fourth with eff. 34 %)!
Block / Court defence
· Very well organised block/defence behaviour against attacks via outside positions, particularly at opponent’s attacks from high sets! Deficiencies against attacks over the middle of the net (in-between positions) in connection with back court pos. 6 (Pipe)!
· In the group block at positions 4/2, their body heights (average 202 cm) and their blocking technique are of benefit to them – they vary between 2-player and 3-player block; with No 15 Volkov und No 18 Kuleshov they have two outstanding blockers (ranking third and seventh).
· Average defence performance of the team – excellent Verbov No 16 as libero – good anticipation, is flexible and fast as well as technically perfect – parries more than 50 % of the balls (approx. 3.5 avg by set) – directs defence and alternates between pos.5 and 6!