Women's World Championship key signing ceremony
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 26, 2013 - A key signing ceremony for the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 took place at the FIVB headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland on Friday featuring FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° and Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° provided Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri with a commerative plaque|
President Graça presented Mr Magri with a commerative plaque to mark the occasion which represented a key stepping stone in the organisation of the FIVB's premier event which is held every four years.
The FIVB’s premier event for women’s volleyball will feature 24 teams divided into four pools of six teams for the first round, which starts on September 23, 2014 with hosts Italy placed in Pool A followed by the 11 best world-ranked teams placed in the first, second and third rows starting from Pool B using the serpentine system. The 12 remaining teams will be divided into three groups on the basis of the FIVB world ranking and placed in the fourth, fifth and sixth rows according to a drawing of lots.
The first round of the competition will be a round robin system over five days – three matches per day - with four cities (Rome, Trieste, Bari and Verona) hosting a pool each.
The top four teams of each pool will advance to the second round (in Bari, Trieste, Verona and Modena), where the 16 teams will be split into two pools of eight (top two of Pool A and B, third and fourth of Pool C and Pool D), with the top three of each pool advancing to the third round.
The top three teams from the two second-round pools will advance to the third round with the winners, placed in each pool, while the second and third will be drawn.
The third and final round will consist of a round robin system with the top two teams of each pool advancing to the semifinals before the final takes place in Milan on October 12.
The FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship 2014 represents the first time Italy has hosted the women’s edition of the World Championships having already hosted the men in 2010 and 1978.
Russia are the two-time defending champions after Italy won the title in 2002.
OTHER FIVB NEWS
- Myanmar, Taiwan Power, Al-Arabi and Bank Sarmayeh top their pools at Asian Men's Club Championship
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Hosts Myanmar join strong teams for convincing wins on Day 1 at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- History makers and movers at the Volleyball House
- That's the way, ah ha, ah ha, we like it - FIVB surpasses 500,000 page likes on Facebook
- Argentina’s ‘Las Panteras’ take the Volleyball House by storm
- Lima and Conte demonstrate unifying power of volleyball
- Volleyball House a hit with AISTS students
- Athletes raise Volleyball House temperature
- FIVB Athletes’ Commission officially launched at Volleyball House
- Athlete takeover at Volleyball House
- FIVB lights up Copacabana with spectacular LED net display
- Volleyball technology wows former Brazilian stars
- VIDEO: Beach volleyball legend Randy Stoklos joins #CopaCourts fun
- Aussie rules at Volleyball House
- FIVB official partners enjoy the Rio Olympic experience at Volleyball House and #CopaCourts
- Ziraldo gives Volleyball House an ‘art attack’
- FIVB signs MoU with International Military Sports Council
- Copacabana evening rounds off memorable few days of Volleyball House visits
- President Graça welcomes Fuji TV to Volleyball House
- John Kerry leads dignitaries enjoying volleyball in Rio
- FIVB volleyball legends entertain crowds at showcase #CopaCourts
- FIVB volleyball courts open across Rio providing exciting activities for the whole family
- FIVB signs Memorandum of Understanding with International School Sport Federation
- VIDEO - Volleyball House opens its doors
- President Graça celebrates magnificent Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony
- Volleyball House opening lights up Copacabana
- Yellow Tiger Dirickx announces retirement
- Have your say and win!
- Perun Varna write history by claiming first club championship title in Bulgaria
- FIVB President Graça visits Olympians Reunion Centre Opening Ceremony
- FIVB President Graça officially opens volleyball development training centre in favela community
- Bulgaria awaits first ever club champion in beach volleyball
- FIVB stages Volleyball Your Way Festival in Rio
- Argentine men overcome Mexico 3-0 in Olympic warm-up
- Dominicans win NORCECA U20, earn ticket for 2017 World Championship
- Poland finish World Champs qualifier with clean record and five straight wins
- Turkey and Italy secure ticket to #FIVBWomensU23 World Champs
- Brazil wins second U23 Women’s South American title
- Poland claim ‘big match’ with Italy, both teams secure ticket to #FIVBMensU23
- Bulgaria, Turkey, Italy to fight for ticket to #FIVBWomensU23
- Turkey end Italy’s winning streak at #FIVBWomensU23 qualifier
- Poland, Italy make it three in a row at #FIVBMensU23 qualifier
- Copa Courts to celebrate volleyball in all its forms
- Volleyball Your Way movement to take over Madureira
- President Graça applauds growth of FIVB World League
- Volleyball House continues preparation for Rio 2016
- Volleyball athletes speak out in support of their Russian counterparts