Poland, Australia and France aim to stay on top of pool standings
After a spectacular display on the historic opening match against Serbia, Poland are looking to improve their standing and break the tie with co-leaders Australia. Poland are tied with Australia as both teams had a straight sets win in their opening match with an identical 75-55 total points.
Meanwhile, France are seeking solo leadership in Pool D after Iran and USA were subjected to a 3-1 and 3-2 result with their matchups with Italy and Belgium, respectively.
• Against Venezuela, Argentina won their first straight sets victory in a World Championship match since their 3-0 win over the same team in 2010.
• Argentina have started all of their previous World Championship campaigns with either two wins or two defeats.
• Serbia were casualties on the opening day of the tournament.
• Serbia have never started a World Championship campaign with back-to-back defeats.
• Argentina and Serbia have met twice before in the World Championship; Serbia were double winners.
• Argentina and Serbia’s last meeting in a World Championship was in Florence in 2010.
• Venezuela’s last taste of World Championship victory in 2006 against Iran.
• One of Cameroon’s two victories in the World Championship came against Venezuela in 1990.
• Cameroon have lost their last three World Championship matches.
• Cameroon and Venezuela have met in the classification matches at the 1990 World Championship.
• The loss against Cameroon is Venezuela’s only defeat in their last five meetings with an African opposition at the World Championships.
• Australia snapped an 11-match losing streak at the World Championships.
• Poland have won their opener at each of their last four World Championships.
• Poland have one each of their first three matches at previous three World Championships.
• Australia and Poland will be meeting for the first time.
• Their last competitive meeting was at the London 2012 Olympic Games; Australia stunned Poland 3-1.
• USA have won 10 of their last 14 World Championship matches.
• Iran’s 3-1 victory over Italy marks the first time they succeeded to win an opening match at the World Championship.
• Seyed Mousavi Eraghi scored a total of 16 points; eight were block points.
• USA defeated Iran twice in their previous World Championship encounters.
• USA and Iran met at the semifinals of the FIVB Volleyball World League; USA won in straight sets.
• Belgium lost to USA 3-2; the last time they lost two consecutive matches in five sets was in 1974.
• Puerto Rico have won their World Championship opening matches in 2006 and 2010, they lost to France in this edition.
• Puerto Rico can lose two World Championship matches in a row in straight sets for the first time since 1974.
• Belgium and Puerto Rico will meet for the first time.
• Puerto Rico have lost all their 12 meetings against European sides at the World Championship.
• France also succeeded to win their second match of the World Championship in the last three editions.
• Italy lost their opening match of the World Championship for the second time since 1978.
• Italy are on a three-match losing streak in the World Championship; they can lose four in a row for the first time since 1986.
• Italy and France have a draw in their six previous meetings at the World Championships.
• Italy won the last two meetings with France at the World Championship.
Click here for the full statistics preview document.
OTHER VOLLEYBALL NEWS