Eight teams compete for U23 South American honours
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, August 28, 2014 - Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru in Group A and Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Pargauay in Group B are the eight teams qualified for the South American Junior Championship Men XXII, which is taking place at the Volleyball Development Centre (CDV) in Saquarema, Rio de Janeiro from August 27-31.
The coaches of the South American Junior Championship Men XXII, which is taking place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from August 27-31|
The top two teams in each group will progress to the semifinals - the final is scheduled for Sunday August 31. The tournament is a qualifier for the age-group World Championship to be held in
2015 and guarantees tickets for the competition's champion and second placed team. All matches will be broadcast live on the official website of the South American Volleyball Confederation (CSV).
The Brazilian team, which will play in front of an enthusiastic home crowd, features a number of athletes with experience of competition at an international level. Douglas Souza, 19, is one of the most experienced players in the team and has played at both the 2013 FIVB Volleyball Boys' U19 World Championship in Mexico and in this year's FIVB Volleyball World League, which Brazil ended in second place.
"Participating in the World League with the senior team was an amazing experience for me. I was keen to come here and build on what I learned with the senior team with other players my age. Our team includes athletes who were first selected over three years ago, and others who are with us for the first time. It is very important for me to pass on the experience I have gained with the senior team. It was a great experience for me and they helped me to absorb a lot, very fast." Douglas said.
Brazil coach Leonardo Carvallo knows how important it is for his team to be prepared. Even though some of his players have not yet had a chance to defend the Brazil jersey internationally, Carvalho believes that will not be a problem for the South American competition.
"We have prepared well. The championship is short and we know that if we lose focus, we may suffer a little more. We have a diverse group, with some athletes making their debut, while others already have more experience, like Douglas and Fernandinho. Our core team has played together for at least three years and new players have contributed positive energy and good will, " said the coach.
Group A: Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.
Group B: Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay.
Dates and Matches
Wednesday, August 27
Match 1: Chile v Uruguay
Match 2: Colombia v Peru
Match 3: Brazil v Ecuador
Match 4: Argentina v Paraguay
Thursday, August 28
Match 5: Ecuador v Peru
Match 6: Chile v Paraguay
Match 7: Colombia v Brazil
Match 8: Uruguay v Argentina
Friday, August 29
Match 9: Colombia v Ecuador
Match 10: Paraguay v Uruguay
Match 11: Brazil v Peru
Match 12: Argentina v Chile
Saturday, August 30
Match 13: 3rd Group A v 4th Group B
Match 14: 3rd Group B v 4th Group A
Match 15: 1st Group B v 2nd Group A
Match 16: 2nd Group B v 1st Group A
Sunday, August 31
Match 17: Loser Match 13 v Loser Match 14
Match 18: Winner Match 13 v Winner Match 14
Match 19: Loser Match 15 v Loser Match 16
Match 20: Winner Match 15 v Winner Match 16
Other FIVB news
- Coaching assistance programme takes place in Haiti
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship