Brazil win first edition of U22 South American championship
Popayan, Colombia, August 26, 2014 - With a ticket to the 2015 World Championship secured, Brazil took on Colombia in the grand finale of the South American Under 22 Championship at the Coliseum Minor in Popayan, Colombia.
Brazil celebrate their victory at the U22 South American championship in Popayan, Colombia|
Brazil were convincing winners in straight sets, claiming a 3-0 score (25-13, 25-8, 25-12) in an hour and four minutes of play.
For five days, the Colombian city was the venue for sextets from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Peru, Venezuela and Colombia, which gathered at the Coliseum Minor to compete for the South American age-group title.
The day before the grand finale, Brazil won their place for the World Championship with a victory against Argentina 3-0 (25-11, 25-17, 25-12). Colombia won the second place at the global event with a show of determination and the support of the fans packed into the stands of the Coliseo Minor Popayán. They defeated Peru in a vibrant and spectacular match 3-0 (25-23, 25-21, 25-20).
Brazil, under the direction of Wagner Fernandes, responded well to their status as competition favourites, winning five matches and producing a powerful demonstration of volleyball. Brazil's Ana Paula Cruz and Colombia's María Martínez were among the tournament's best players.
Earlier in the day, Sergio Rivero's Venezuela team took on Peru, coached by Natalia Malaga. Peru defeated Venezuela 3-0 (25-21, 25-13, 25-14). The match took place in an hour and eight minutes. Katerinne Olemar of Peru scored 12 points, while Angerlis Colmenares of Venezuela led her team with 9 units.
Argentina, under the orders of William Nazabal, defeated the Chilean team 3-1 and took fourth place in the tournament. Catalina Melo scored 17 points for Chile, while Priscila Bosio of Argentina scored 19.
1 - Brazil
2 - Colombia
3 - Peru
4 - Argentina
5 - Chile
6 - Venezuela
MVP: Angela Leyva (Peru)
Best setter: Juma Silva (Brazil)
Best opposite player: Ana Paula Cruz (Brazil)
Best libero: Camila Gomez (Colombia)
Best spiker: - Gabriela Souza (Brazil)
Best digger: Amanda Coneo (Colombia)
Best middle spiker: Ivone Montana (Colombia)
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance
- Men's U21 World Championship draw to take place in Tijuana
- Draw held in Argentina for U19 World Championship
- Finland know World League target
- World Grand Prix preview: Six-week, record-breaking spectacle kicks off in Mexico and Kazakhstan
- World League Week 7 Preview: France aim to equal Dutch record
- Poland, Serbia, Turkey and hosts Azerbaijan make European Games semis
- Australia brace for big showdown with Brazil in Sydney
- Montenegro lead the way in Group 3