South American U22 Championship begins in Colombia
Popayan, Colombia, August 19, 2014 - The city of Popayan in Colombia is hosting the South American U22 Championship from August 18-24. Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru and Venezuela will battle for a place at next year's FIVB Volleyball Women's U23 World Championship.
Colombia's women's U22 team and coach Mauro Marasciulo|
The competition looks exciting for local fans. Colombia coach Mauro Marasciulo unveiled his team's championship expectations: "The team has worked very well, we have a big responsibility to larger rivals such as Brazil, Argentina, Chile. This team is three years into a process, participating in global and major competitons representing our country. It's a young group, which is used to having responsibilities. The court is no longer a place that scares Colombia. Recently at the Pan American Cup, we qualified for the Grand Prix. This is the group's future, and my hope for Colombia is that we will qualify for the World Championship."
Colombia's Maria Margarita Martinez, who was the best outside hitter in the last Pan American Cup, said: "The team is very good, is eager to qualify for the World Championship. We have worked very hard, we know we can expect very difficult games, but we are at home and people will support us a lot. Our aim is to reach the final and why not beat Brazil."
Colombia and their Brazilian coach Marasciulo have been training at the Coliseum Retail Sports Complex in the north of the city.
Other FIVB news
- VOTE: Rio 2016 dreams on the line
- USA, Russia, China, Serbia keep 7-1 win-loss cards on Day 8
- USA whitewash Cuba 3-0 to lead World Cup title race
- Favourites gear up for Men's World Cup
- U18 world champion Egonu an ambassador for the new Italy
- Canada coach Barrett: 'We are happy to arrive early'
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 7
- LIVE - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 8
- Serbia score huge upset on Russia on World Cup Day 7
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 6
- Brazil claim final USAV Cup win
- Russia and USA stay on top at start of World Cup second round
- Win with the #VabochanChallenge
- Teams expect tough competition in Sendai
- Cuba, Italy and Russia book semifinal tickets at Men's U23 World Championship
- Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- USAV Cup hosts claim first win
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Hosts concede second defeat to Brazil in USAV Cup
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- Men's U21 World Championship match schedule now online
- USA lose to Brazil in USAV Cup opener
- Poland defeat France in Wagner Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- Wagner Cup coaches putting on finishing touches ahead of World Cup
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day
- VOTE: Top of the class?
- Rising star Souza takes Brazil forward
- Walking in illustrious footsteps
- Taichung Bank and Al Arabi ready for Asian Men’s Club Championship final
- Moim expects Kenya to surprise