China and Japan meet in World Grand Prix "Match of the week" programme
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 15, 2014 - The third FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix “Match of the week” programme will see China (WR 5) take on Japan (WR 3) in Macau on Sunday, at 15.30 local time. The programme is made available to the competition’s host broadcasters and other television channels for free - fans can also log on to FIVB Web TV to watch the match.
China go into the final week of the World Grand Prix preliminary round in third position in Group 1 |
Watch China v Japan live stream
China ended last weekend on three wins with a final Pool F 3-1 (25-20, 25-18, 22-25, 25-16) victory against Italy in Hong Kong. China head coach Lang Ping was pleased with the result: “Italy is a very strong team in Europe. Their attacks and defense are well-rounded. In the previous pool in Italy our attacks were not smart enough. We enhanced our quick attacks in today’s match."
Meanwhile, Japan defeated Thailand in four sets 3-1 (25-18, 25-15, 19-25, 25-20) on Sunday, ending a nine-match losing streak in the competition. After losing against Italy and China earlier in the weekend, Japan captain Saori Kimura was pleased to see her team win the match, even if Thailand caused Japan difficulties in the third set: "We had good rhythm in the beginning, but in the third set, we couldn’t overcome Thailand’s good combination of tactics. It was good to win the game in the end."
China have won their last six World Grand Prix matches in Macau since losing against Italy in the final for 7th-8th place in the 2011 season. Japan, on the other hand, have won only four of 17 matches in total in Macau. Japan, however, are sure to participate in the World Grand Prix Finals in Tokyo as hosts of the tournament. China and Japan have met in 21 World Grand Prix matches, with Japan only winning once - which was during the 2001 edition of the competition (3-0).
English commentary for the World Grand Prix programme will be provided by John Burgess, Dan Strange and Tim Long.
Tim Long, who will be providing commentary for the week three Match of the Week programme, is a fast-rising young commentator, with experience from an early age in an array of sports. He commentates on the English Premier League, UEFA Champions League, and various other football competitions for Manchester United (MUTV), talkSPORT, and BT Sport. He also covers Euroleague and FIBA basketball, and commentated on 10 different sports at the 2013 World Games in Colombia.
The first World Grand Prix "Match of the week" programme focused on the encounter between Turkey and Russia on August 3. This was followed by the second "Match of the week" programme, which saw World Grand Prix title holders and Olympic champions Brazil take on USA on August 10.
Three additional World Grand Prix matches will be shown on FIVB Web TV this weekend. These are:
- Turkey v Germany on Friday at 15.40 CEST
- Italy v Germany on Saturday at 15.40 CEST
- Korea v Serbia on Sunday at 7.00 CEST
The full list of World Grand Prix matches being shown on FIVB Web TV is available here.
Watch the latest videos of FIVB Web TV.
Other FIVB news
- Twelve teams take part in women’s Pan Am Cup
- Larnaka prepares for U19 World Championships
- Daquis and Gonzaga to represent Philippine Superliga in Women’s Club World Championship
- Jao-Duck Seo leads Korea to first World League victory
- Frankfurt all set for World League Group 3 showdown
- Cuba wins NORCECA U19 Boys’ Championship
- Nancy to welcome France, Brazil, Poland and Belgium for World League Pool G1
- Bangkok preparing for world's best
- World League: Watch matches live on YouTube
- Teams are ready for an unsurpassable event in Frankfurt
- Preliminary Round honours for Bojic in World League Group 3
- Sammelvuo: Think about what Iceland has done
- Olympic volleyball and beach volleyball pages launched
- Preliminary Round reaches climax in World League Groups 1 and 2
- USA and Cuba to play for title at NORCECA U19 Boys' Continental Championship
- Elkotb steps up to challenge in World League Group 2
- Hisamitsu Springs to battle for FIVB Volleyball Club World Championship crown
- Anderson the great mediator
- WATCH AND VOTE: WGP Top five - Week 3
- Five things we learned from WL week 2
- Two NORCECA berths to U19 World Championship on dispute
- Sokolov charges ahead in World League Group 1
- De Cecco eyes Rio success
- Five things we learned from WGP week four
- Goncharova leads scoring as Russia progress
- Mukantambara, from Genocide to a fast-rising Volleyball star
- Brazil take gold at Men's U23 South American Championship
- Slovenia advance to World League Group 3 Final Four
- Brazil secure fourth slot in World Grand Prix Finals
- Brazil and Argentina to clash for gold at U23 Men's South American Championship
- Serbia, Canada, Turkey, Greece, Slovenia stay on strong pace in World League
- United States begin defense of NORCECA U19 title
- China, USA and Russia qualify for World Grand Prix Finals
- Lozano discusses special relationship with Velasco
- Serbia men's team meet fans ahead of World League games
- Hosts Serbia and Slovakia get head start on Week 2 of World League
- Sweden, France, Czech Republic and Italy celebrate golden match victories
- Teams aim for improvement in Bratislava
- Goncharova back in the driver's seat
- Teams in Almaty aim for World League Group 3 Finals
- Argentine boys’ youth team turn focus on continental championship
- VakifBank Istanbul earn wildcard for Women’s Club World Championship
- Three Olympic qualifiers and Thailand face off in Kyoto
- World Grand Prix streams live on YouTube
- Embrace volleyball for Olympic Day
- Watch World League live on YouTube
- Sokolov on target for Bulgaria
- Andrea Giani returns to Thessaloniki after 22 years
- Dominican Republic end Tomsia's scoring run
- Ojansivu inspires Finns in World League Group 2