China and Japan meet in World Grand Prix "Match of the week" programme
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 15, 2014 - The third FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix “Match of the week” programme will see China (WR 5) take on Japan (WR 3) in Macau on Sunday, at 15.30 local time. The programme is made available to the competition’s host broadcasters and other television channels for free - fans can also log on to FIVB Web TV to watch the match.
China go into the final week of the World Grand Prix preliminary round in third position in Group 1 |
Watch China v Japan live stream
China ended last weekend on three wins with a final Pool F 3-1 (25-20, 25-18, 22-25, 25-16) victory against Italy in Hong Kong. China head coach Lang Ping was pleased with the result: “Italy is a very strong team in Europe. Their attacks and defense are well-rounded. In the previous pool in Italy our attacks were not smart enough. We enhanced our quick attacks in today’s match."
Meanwhile, Japan defeated Thailand in four sets 3-1 (25-18, 25-15, 19-25, 25-20) on Sunday, ending a nine-match losing streak in the competition. After losing against Italy and China earlier in the weekend, Japan captain Saori Kimura was pleased to see her team win the match, even if Thailand caused Japan difficulties in the third set: "We had good rhythm in the beginning, but in the third set, we couldn’t overcome Thailand’s good combination of tactics. It was good to win the game in the end."
China have won their last six World Grand Prix matches in Macau since losing against Italy in the final for 7th-8th place in the 2011 season. Japan, on the other hand, have won only four of 17 matches in total in Macau. Japan, however, are sure to participate in the World Grand Prix Finals in Tokyo as hosts of the tournament. China and Japan have met in 21 World Grand Prix matches, with Japan only winning once - which was during the 2001 edition of the competition (3-0).
English commentary for the World Grand Prix programme will be provided by John Burgess, Dan Strange and Tim Long.
Tim Long, who will be providing commentary for the week three Match of the Week programme, is a fast-rising young commentator, with experience from an early age in an array of sports. He commentates on the English Premier League, UEFA Champions League, and various other football competitions for Manchester United (MUTV), talkSPORT, and BT Sport. He also covers Euroleague and FIBA basketball, and commentated on 10 different sports at the 2013 World Games in Colombia.
The first World Grand Prix "Match of the week" programme focused on the encounter between Turkey and Russia on August 3. This was followed by the second "Match of the week" programme, which saw World Grand Prix title holders and Olympic champions Brazil take on USA on August 10.
Three additional World Grand Prix matches will be shown on FIVB Web TV this weekend. These are:
- Turkey v Germany on Friday at 15.40 CEST
- Italy v Germany on Saturday at 15.40 CEST
- Korea v Serbia on Sunday at 7.00 CEST
The full list of World Grand Prix matches being shown on FIVB Web TV is available here.
Watch the latest videos of FIVB Web TV.
Other FIVB news
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Mauritian Volleyball League sees two first-time champions
- Japan, Thailand top pools at AVC Cup for Women
- Kenia Carcaces back at Volero Zürich
- Giovane Gavio happy to be coaching Brazil U-21 team
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- President Graça hails successful World Grand Prix Finals in Thailand
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- We must continue our exceptional growth - President Graça
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- Argentina and Cuba to play for gold in Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- Semifinals set in Men’s U23 Pan American Cup
- Volleyball Australia prepares for Tokyo 2020 Olympic cycle
- FIVB survey translated into five languages
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Dominican Republic win NORCECA U18 title in dramatic fashion
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Argentina, Cuba get direct access to Men's U23 Pan Am Cup semifinals
- Chile, Cuba and Colombia get solid victories at Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Men's U23 Pan Am Cup opens third edition in Guanajuato
- New Tech: The most eagle-eyed coaches at Rio 2016
- Russia women win EuroVolley U19 to earn world champs spot
- Kim Yeon-koung learning lessons from Rio
- Brazil victorious in front of more than 30,000 fans as Serginho says farewell
- Zhu Ting nominated for Sportswoman of the Year Award
- 2018 World Championship qualification process continues this weekend
- Clay Stanley latest of USA's 2008 golden boys to retire
- 2016 Men's Club World Championship match schedule confirmed
- Bank Sarmayeh win Asian Men's Club Championship to secure 2017 World Championship berth
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride