Brazil and China sweep third week to stay in top three
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 12, 2014 - Brazil and China won all their matches in FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix week 3 and lead the race for the Final Six as they top Group 1 with Turkey, while other teams are in a tight contest to grab the remaining fourth spot to join Japan and the Group 2 winners in the final round in Tokyo, Japan.
Brazil earned maximum points from their three straight-set victories at the Ginasio do Ibirapuera|
Meanwhile, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Poland and Belgium all made the cut for the Group 2 Final Four in Koszalin, Poland.
Group 1 Intercontinental Round action will resume in three cities – Bangkok, Kaliningrad and Macau – in an action-packed fourth week, while the Final Four rounds will unfold for the finalist teams in Groups 2 and 3.
· Brazil earned the maximum points in the first group as they won all three matches in straight sets.
· China bounced back from their two losses in the opening weekend of Group 1, winning all three matches in Hong Kong.
· Russia are on a four-match losing streak, equalling their World Grand Prix record losing streaks in 1996, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
· Korea’s victory over Russia was their fourth against that team in 23 encounters; it was also their third win in this World Grand Prix campaign.
· The Dominican Republic snapped their three-match losing streak to claim their first win this season, beating second-ranked Turkey.
· Germany became the third European and ninth team overall to win at least 200 sets in the World Grand Prix.
· Serbia suffered their fourth back-to-back losing streak in the World Grand Prix.
· Italy’s 3-0 win against Thailand was their second straight-set win in their last 13 World Grand Prix matches.
· Japan ended a nine-match losing streak in the World Grand Prix when they beat Thailand 3-1.
· Thailand have only won six sets so far in this World Grand Prix season.
· Netherlands have recorded six 3-0 wins for the first time in a single World Grand Prix season.
· Belgium have also won six matches by a 3-0 score in their debut season.
· Puerto Rico’s six-match winning streak ended with a 3-0 defeat against Belgium.
· Poland have lost four of their last five matches, including their last three.
The full week 3 statistical review is available here.
Other FIVB news
- Brazil and Argentina to clash for gold at U23 Men's South American Championship
- Serbia, Canada, Turkey, Greece, Slovenia stay on strong pace in World League
- United States begin defense of NORCECA U19 title
- Lozano discusses special relationship with Velasco
- Serbia men's team meet fans ahead of World League games
- Sweden, France, Czech Republic and Italy celebrate golden match victories
- Teams aim for improvement in Bratislava
- Goncharova back in the driver's seat
- Teams in Almaty aim for World League Group 3 Finals
- Argentine boys’ youth team turn focus on continental championship
- VakifBank Istanbul earn wildcard for Women’s Club World Championship
- Three Olympic qualifiers and Thailand face off in Kyoto
- World Grand Prix streams live on YouTube
- Embrace volleyball for Olympic Day
- Watch World League live on YouTube
- Sokolov on target for Bulgaria
- Andrea Giani returns to Thessaloniki after 22 years
- Dominican Republic end Tomsia's scoring run
- Ojansivu inspires Finns in World League Group 2
- Leyva confirms rank in World Grand Prix Group 3
- U23 Men's South American Championship kicks off in Colombia
- Dominican Republic get presidential seal of approval
- WATCH AND VOTE: WL Top five - week one
- WATCH AND VOTE: WGP Top five - Week 2
- Volero Zürich awarded wild card for Women’s Club World Championship
- Villena keeps Spain on track in World League Group 3
- Five things we learned from WL week one
- Five things we learned from WGP week three
- Cartagena gears up for South American U23 Championship
- China and Russia assert dominance in Group 1 of FIVB World Grand Prix
- Natalia ready to deal with Rio pressure
- Serbia continue perfect run in World League Group 1
- Dominican Republic get the gold, Emiliya Nikolova gets the groom
- Video: Marouf’s tricky moves lifts Iran past Argentina
- Video: Russia’s Muserskiy drills through Polish defence
- Video: Orro’s defensive hustle drives Italian point
- Dominican Republic against Poland in World Grand Prix Group 2 final
- Kazakhstan and Croatia final clash for FIVB World Grand Prix Group 3
- Four strong teams in Varna sharing the same goal
- All eyes on Almaty for World Grand Prix Group 3 Finals
- All-European group to compete in World League in Turkey
- Puerto Rico ready to roll after 28-hour trip to Greece
- Expectations are high for Slovenia's volleyball heroes
- Belgium, Brazil, China and Serbia vie for glory in Macau
- Montenegro aim to reach Group 3 Finals again
- Once a refuge for Syria refugees, Kozani now welcomes the best of World League Group 3
- Tickets on sale for World League Finals
- Alekno: Mikhailov is out, but we are still ready to fight
- France and Australia return to scene of epic 2014 clash
- Olsztyn, the city of beach volleyball and Copernicus