Brazil and China sweep third week to stay in top three
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 12, 2014 - Brazil and China won all their matches in FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix week 3 and lead the race for the Final Six as they top Group 1 with Turkey, while other teams are in a tight contest to grab the remaining fourth spot to join Japan and the Group 2 winners in the final round in Tokyo, Japan.
Brazil earned maximum points from their three straight-set victories at the Ginasio do Ibirapuera|
Meanwhile, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Poland and Belgium all made the cut for the Group 2 Final Four in Koszalin, Poland.
Group 1 Intercontinental Round action will resume in three cities – Bangkok, Kaliningrad and Macau – in an action-packed fourth week, while the Final Four rounds will unfold for the finalist teams in Groups 2 and 3.
· Brazil earned the maximum points in the first group as they won all three matches in straight sets.
· China bounced back from their two losses in the opening weekend of Group 1, winning all three matches in Hong Kong.
· Russia are on a four-match losing streak, equalling their World Grand Prix record losing streaks in 1996, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
· Korea’s victory over Russia was their fourth against that team in 23 encounters; it was also their third win in this World Grand Prix campaign.
· The Dominican Republic snapped their three-match losing streak to claim their first win this season, beating second-ranked Turkey.
· Germany became the third European and ninth team overall to win at least 200 sets in the World Grand Prix.
· Serbia suffered their fourth back-to-back losing streak in the World Grand Prix.
· Italy’s 3-0 win against Thailand was their second straight-set win in their last 13 World Grand Prix matches.
· Japan ended a nine-match losing streak in the World Grand Prix when they beat Thailand 3-1.
· Thailand have only won six sets so far in this World Grand Prix season.
· Netherlands have recorded six 3-0 wins for the first time in a single World Grand Prix season.
· Belgium have also won six matches by a 3-0 score in their debut season.
· Puerto Rico’s six-match winning streak ended with a 3-0 defeat against Belgium.
· Poland have lost four of their last five matches, including their last three.
The full week 3 statistical review is available here.
Other FIVB news
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Iran, China to clash in final of Men's AVC Cup
- Bidding process opened for 2017 Men's Club World Championship
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Mauritian Volleyball League sees two first-time champions
- Japan, Thailand top pools at AVC Cup for Women
- Kenia Carcaces back at Volero Zürich
- Giovane Gavio happy to be coaching Brazil U-21 team
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- President Graça hails successful World Grand Prix Finals in Thailand
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- We must continue our exceptional growth - President Graça
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- Argentina and Cuba to play for gold in Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- Semifinals set in Men’s U23 Pan American Cup
- Volleyball Australia prepares for Tokyo 2020 Olympic cycle
- FIVB survey translated into five languages
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Dominican Republic win NORCECA U18 title in dramatic fashion
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Argentina, Cuba get direct access to Men's U23 Pan Am Cup semifinals
- Chile, Cuba and Colombia get solid victories at Men's U23 Pan Am Cup
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Men's U23 Pan Am Cup opens third edition in Guanajuato
- New Tech: The most eagle-eyed coaches at Rio 2016
- Russia women win EuroVolley U19 to earn world champs spot
- Kim Yeon-koung learning lessons from Rio
- Brazil victorious in front of more than 30,000 fans as Serginho says farewell
- Zhu Ting nominated for Sportswoman of the Year Award
- 2018 World Championship qualification process continues this weekend