Brazil and China sweep third week to stay in top three
Meanwhile, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Poland and Belgium all made the cut for the Group 2 Final Four in Koszalin, Poland.
Group 1 Intercontinental Round action will resume in three cities – Bangkok, Kaliningrad and Macau – in an action-packed fourth week, while the Final Four rounds will unfold for the finalist teams in Groups 2 and 3.
· Brazil earned the maximum points in the first group as they won all three matches in straight sets.
· China bounced back from their two losses in the opening weekend of Group 1, winning all three matches in Hong Kong.
· Russia are on a four-match losing streak, equalling their World Grand Prix record losing streaks in 1996, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
· Korea’s victory over Russia was their fourth against that team in 23 encounters; it was also their third win in this World Grand Prix campaign.
· The Dominican Republic snapped their three-match losing streak to claim their first win this season, beating second-ranked Turkey.
· Germany became the third European and ninth team overall to win at least 200 sets in the World Grand Prix.
· Serbia suffered their fourth back-to-back losing streak in the World Grand Prix.
· Italy’s 3-0 win against Thailand was their second straight-set win in their last 13 World Grand Prix matches.
· Japan ended a nine-match losing streak in the World Grand Prix when they beat Thailand 3-1.
· Thailand have only won six sets so far in this World Grand Prix season.
· Netherlands have recorded six 3-0 wins for the first time in a single World Grand Prix season.
· Belgium have also won six matches by a 3-0 score in their debut season.
· Puerto Rico’s six-match winning streak ended with a 3-0 defeat against Belgium.
· Poland have lost four of their last five matches, including their last three.
The full week 3 statistical review is available here.
OTHER VOLLEYBALL NEWS