Week 2 delivers World Grand Prix Group 3 finalists
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 5, 2014 - Hosts Bulgaria will take on Kazakhstan in the semifinals of the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix Group 3 Final Four after winning their six matches in Intercontinental Round Pools Q and S. The second semifinal will see the Czech Republic - also undefeated in Weeks 1 and 2 - take on Croatia.
Group 3 Final Four hosts Bulgaria defeated Intercontinental Round Pool S hosts Croatia |
The Czech Republic took the lead in Group 3 after winning their six matches - the scorelines of these victories all reading either 3-0 or 3-1. Final Four hosts Bulgaria also won their six matches in the Intercontinental Round, their longest winning streak in World Grand Prix team history.
Bulgaria and the Czech Republic will be joined by Croatia and Kazakhstan in the Group 3 Final Four.
Newcomers Croatia qualified with four wins and two losses to become the first debutants to enter a final of the World Grand Prix from the Intercontinental Round competition format.
Kazakhstan have qualified for their first Final Round in the World Grand Prix at their fifth participation in the competition.
The four Group 3 finalists hosted a pool in the Intercontinental Round.
The Final Four tournament will take place in Samokov, Bulgaria, on August 16 and 17.
Meanwhile, Brazil and the Netherlands emerged as Group 1 and Group 2 leaders, with flawless performances for both teams. Brazil won all their matches in Pool C, while the Netherlands won their first six matches in a World Grand Prix season for only the second time in 11 participations.
· Turkey have won their first three matches for the first time in the World Grand Prix.
· Russia were on a nine-match winning streak until Turkey snapped it on the third day of Pool A.
· USA have lost two opening matches for the first time in the World Grand Prix since 2002.
· Japan are on a seven-match losing streak in the World Grand Prix.
· Serbia became the sixth European team to record 25 World Grand Prix victories.
· Kim Yeon-Koung’s 29-point output is the most points by a player in a single World Grand Prix match this season.
· Germany recorded their fifth straight-set victory over Thailand.
· Thailand recorded their fifth win in 36 matches against European sides when they beat Serbia.
· Brazil only dropped one set in their three victories.
· The Italians’ 3-2 upset of China marked the eighth time in their last nine meetings that went to five sets.
· China lost four of their 22 opening matches in the competition.
· Dominican Republic lost all of their first three matches in straight sets – same as Australia in Group 3.
· After a perfect sets-won record on the first week, Netherlands lost four sets in their two five-set matches.
· Belgium have four wins that ended in straight sets.
· Canada are now on one win in 11 total World Grand Prix matches.
· Argentina now have a win-loss record of 14-1 against European teams.
· Puerto Rico have now won five World Grand Prix matches, equalling the number of wins in their four previous participations.
· Poland’s Katarzyna Zaroslinska is the second best scorer in Group 2, behind Belgium’s Lise Van Hecke.
· Peru recorded their second victory this edition, they now have a total of three wins in the World Grand Prix.
· Cuba are on their longest losing streak in the World Grand Prix with 20 losses.
Click here for more information.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five