World Grand Prix 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey-Russia
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 31, 2014 – Volleyball fans are in for a treat when Turkey take on Russia in the first of three FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix “Match of the week” programmes at 19.00 local time on August 3.
The first 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey's World Grand Prix Pool A encounter with women's world champions Russia |
The “Match of the week” programme is made available to
the World Grand Prix’s host broadcasters as well as to other TV
channels for free, with the aim of spreading volleyball into regions where the
sport has the potential to grow. The match will take place at the Baskent Volleyball Hall in Ankara, Turkey, where the hosts will take on women’s world champions Russia (World Rank No. 6).
The second “Match of the week” programme will see World Grand Prix title holders and Olympic champions Brazil (WR 1) take on USA (WR 2). The match will take place on August 10 at 10.00 local time at the Ginasio do Ibirapuera in Sao Paulo, Brazil. This will be followed by the third programme in the series, which will focus on the match between China (WR 5) and Japan (WR 3). The Pool I match will take place at 15.30 local time on August 17 at the Macau Forum in Macau.
English commentary for the World Grand Prix programme will be provided by John Burgess, Dan Strange and Tim Long.
John Burgess, who will provide the commentary for the first match of the week programme, has 30 years of experience as an English television sports commentator. He has commentated for the Olympic Broadcast Services and worked with the FIVB on World League, World Championship and World Grand Prix events for the last 10 years.
Dan Strange, commentator for week 2, is an experienced sports presenter and commentator equally at home in front of the camera or behind the microphone. He has worked on numerous top events and competitions in both able-bodied and disability sport, for television, radio and live in the stadium.
Tim Long, who will be providing commentary for the week three match, is a fast-rising young commentator, with experience from an early age in an array of sports. He commentates on the English Premier League, UEFA Champions League, and various other football competitions for Manchester United (MUTV), talkSPORT, and BT Sport. He also covers Euroleague and FIBA basketball, and commentated on 10 different sports at the 2013 World Games in Colombia.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance