World Grand Prix 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey-Russia
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 31, 2014 – Volleyball fans are in for a treat when Turkey take on Russia in the first of three FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix “Match of the week” programmes at 19.00 local time on August 3.
The first 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey's World Grand Prix Pool A encounter with women's world champions Russia |
The “Match of the week” programme is made available to
the World Grand Prix’s host broadcasters as well as to other TV
channels for free, with the aim of spreading volleyball into regions where the
sport has the potential to grow. The match will take place at the Baskent Volleyball Hall in Ankara, Turkey, where the hosts will take on women’s world champions Russia (World Rank No. 6).
The second “Match of the week” programme will see World Grand Prix title holders and Olympic champions Brazil (WR 1) take on USA (WR 2). The match will take place on August 10 at 10.00 local time at the Ginasio do Ibirapuera in Sao Paulo, Brazil. This will be followed by the third programme in the series, which will focus on the match between China (WR 5) and Japan (WR 3). The Pool I match will take place at 15.30 local time on August 17 at the Macau Forum in Macau.
English commentary for the World Grand Prix programme will be provided by John Burgess, Dan Strange and Tim Long.
John Burgess, who will provide the commentary for the first match of the week programme, has 30 years of experience as an English television sports commentator. He has commentated for the Olympic Broadcast Services and worked with the FIVB on World League, World Championship and World Grand Prix events for the last 10 years.
Dan Strange, commentator for week 2, is an experienced sports presenter and commentator equally at home in front of the camera or behind the microphone. He has worked on numerous top events and competitions in both able-bodied and disability sport, for television, radio and live in the stadium.
Tim Long, who will be providing commentary for the week three match, is a fast-rising young commentator, with experience from an early age in an array of sports. He commentates on the English Premier League, UEFA Champions League, and various other football competitions for Manchester United (MUTV), talkSPORT, and BT Sport. He also covers Euroleague and FIBA basketball, and commentated on 10 different sports at the 2013 World Games in Colombia.
Other FIVB news
- Four qualify for U21 World Championship at Asian U20s
- "World champs show volleyball is still growing" says Sykora
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan