Italian boys claim historic gold at WEVZA Championship
Valladolid, Spain, July 28, 2014 - The Italian national team won the first edition of the WEVZA Youth Boys Volleyball Championship held in the city of Valladolid, Spain. The seven WEVZA member countries participating in the competition were joined by Sweden.
Italy claim gold at the WEVZA Youth Boys Championship|
The Polideportivo Pisuerga Sports hall in Valladolid was the venue for the WEVZA Youth Boys Volleyball Championship. Italy showed their strength and had a sensational championship, beating finalists Germany 3-0 (25-20, 25-18, 25-14) in a spectacular demonstration of efficiency.
The Azzurrini were led by an outstanding Gianluca Galassi, who was elected MVP of the tournament. The Italian block put a halt to Germany's hopes of victory. Italy's final victory completed an impressive run of five victories in five matches, in which they dropped just two sets.
“This was a very difficult match for us. Germany are a very good team and we had to work tactically on a high level. My players and all my team had a great match and I am very happy with the victory, but we have to look to the future,” said Italian head coach Mario Barbiero.
Hosts Spain won the bronze medal of the tournament after beating Belgium 3-0 (25-9, 25-22, 25-20) in the match for third place. Following the disappointment of missing the final on home ground, the local squad recovered to present an effective performance in serving and blocking to earn third place on the podium in a convincing straight sets victory.
“I expected a harder match. We played well in serving and blocking and we also had a good performance in reception during the match,” commented Spanish head coach Ricardo Maldonado.
The Italian players also dominated the individual awards by claiming three of the seven categories, including the MVP award, which went to Gianluca Galassi.
8. The Netherlands
Most Valuable Player (MVP): Gianluca Galassi (Italy)
Best Spiker: Egor Bogachev (Germany)
Best Blocker: Víctor Rodríguez (Spain)
Best Receiver: Simon Peeters (Belgium)
Best Setter: Ricardo Sbertoli (Italy)
Best Server: Lorenzo Mariotti (Italy)
Best Libero: Julian Renger (Germany)
Click here for more information.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance