Italy crowned at inaugural WEVZA Youth Girls Championship
Schaffhausen, Switzerland, July 28, 2014 - Italy was crowned as the first ever winner of the WEVZA Youth Girls Volleyball Championship. The Italian U17 girls claimed the historic gold at the inaugural tournament held in the Swiss city of Schaffhausen.
The Italian team celebrate winning gold at the inaugural WEVZA Youth Girls Volleyball Championship|
The BBC Arena sports hall in Schaffhausen hosted a spectacular tournament, which showcased the upcoming stars of the sport in the women’s category. Italy were the great dominators of the competition and won the gold medal in an impressive run of five victories from five matches, losing just two sets on the way.
The Azzurrine, who were coached by Marco Mencarelli, won the final 3-0 (27-25, 25-20, 25-20) against Germany in a disputed match. The young Italians presented an outstanding collective performance to control and overcome their rivals’ attacks. A great deal of maturity was on display and was the key to Italy claiming the victory and the title.
Third place on the podium went to Belgium. The Yellow Tigers earned the bronze medal after beating the Netherlands 3-2 (21-25, 25-13, 30-28, 23-25, 16-14) in a sensational and thrilling match, which was only resolved in an exciting tie-breaker. The Belgian players were led to victory in the final for third place by MVP Britt Herbots, in a powerful display of impressive attacks.
Italy also dominated the competition's individual honours and won in three of the five categories, leaving one award each for Germany and Belgium.
Most Valuable Player (MVP): Britt Herbots (Belgium)
Best Setter: Alessia Orro (Italy)
Best Libero: Giorgia Zannoni (Italy)
Best Middle Player: Giulia Maria Mancini (Italy)
Best Outside Spiker: Hanna Orthmann (Germany)
Click here for more information.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance
- Men's U21 World Championship draw to take place in Tijuana