Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix
Mexico City, Mexico, July 25, 2014 - Kenya's women's national team arrived in Mexico City on Tuesday evening after a 27-hour journey from Nairobi. Coach David Lungaho's team will play hosts Mexico in Pool Q on Friday at the Olympic Gymnasium Juan de la Barrera.
Kenya's women's national team will play in World Grand Prix Pool Q|
The team is one of two African representatives in the competition – alongside Algeria. The team departed Nairobi on Monday at 19.00 local time for an eight hour flight to Amsterdam. After an eight hour wait for a connecting flight, they boarded another flight at the Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam at 14.00 for a twelve hour journey that saw them arrive in Mexico City on Tuesday at 18.00 (Wednesday 02.00 – Kenyan time), before going through another grueling one-hour checking-out process.
Kenya coach David Lungaho told Nation Sport: "The journey was OK but very tiring. Thankfully, we have time now to recover and even prepare for the opening match against Mexico."
Kenya are in the same Pool as hosts Mexico, Algeria, Bulgaria and Kazakhstan. The five teams are now all in Mexico for the event.
"This is our World Cup, and so we are here to do Kenya and the entire continent proud,” team captain Blackcides Agala said.
While in transit, the reigning African champions displayed commendable unity and team spirit, cracking jokes and bonding in a way that probably highlights their successful returns on the continent.
The team had successful training sessions in Mexico to prepare for the tournament opening against host Mexico.
Other FIVB news
- Four qualify for U21 World Championship at Asian U20s
- "World champs show volleyball is still growing" says Sykora
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan