World League performances reshuffle world ranking
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 22, 2014 – The 2014 FIVB Volleyball World League has resulted in a reshuffle of the senior men’s world ranking, with Serbia gaining three positions to move up from ninth to sixth, while other countries making significant gains include Belgium, the Netherlands and Portugal.
Serbia move up from ninth to sixth place in the world ranking|
The top five countries in the world ranking remain unchanged. Brazil are still ranked No.1, followed by Russia, Italy, USA and Poland.
Serbia, who finished third in World League Pool B with 20 points, move up three ranks from No.9 to No.6. Coach Igor Kolakovic's team were disappointed not to qualify for the Group 1 Finals but are rewarded for their performances in Pool B, which included victories against tournament winners USA and defending champions Russia. Bulgaria, who finished fourth in Pool B on just four points, have dropped down from No.6 to No.8.
Six other teams in the top 20 have made significant gains following their performances in this year's World League competition. Rapidly improving Group 1 semifinalists Iran are up one place from No.12 to No.11. Surprise Group 1 Final Round participants Australia are up from No.14 to No.12. Group 2 finalists France have gained three ranks and go from No.16 to No.13. Other teams to make gains include: Japan (up one place to No.16), the Czech Republic (up four places to No.18) and Korea (up two places to No.19).
The most spectacular gains, however, come from countries currently still outside the top 20. Belgium, who finished third in Group 2, are up 13 places to No.24. The Netherlands, who lost to Belgium in the final for third place in Group 2, are up six places to No.25. Portugal, who finished second in Pool E on 19 points - ahead of the Czech Republic and Korea - are up ten places to No.28.
Click on the links below to find out more:
FIVB Senior World Ranking - Men.
FIVB Volleyball World League competition page
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play