Qualification system for 2015 European Games confirmed
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg, July 21, 2014. The inaugural European Games will be held from June 12-28, 2015. Volleyball and beach volleyball are two of the 18 sports confirmed for the 2015 competition programme and are set to be among the major highlights of the event taking place in Azerbaijan’s capital city, Baku.
The iconic Crystal Hall will be playing host to the volleyball competition of the inaugural European Games in Baku |
Following a decision of the CEV Board of Administration, and subsequent approval from the European Olympic Committees, the qualification system for the volleyball and beach volleyball competitions is now confirmed.
For beach volleyball, the 30 top teams per gender based on the CEV Entry Ranking as per January 1, 2015, with a maximum of two teams per gender per National Federation, will compete in Baku alongside a maximum of two teams from the organising National Federation, i.e. Azerbaijan. Each National Olympic Committee/National Federation having earned quota places trough the CEV Entry Ranking must choose its athletes from its six best eligible pairs in the CEV Entry Ranking as of January 1, 2015.
For volleyball, one team allocation per gender is reserved for the team of the organising National Federation, i.e. Azerbaijan, leaving a total of 11 spots per gender available for other European teams. Qualification will be based on the following criteria:
- The nine highest placed teams - not already qualified - from the CEV European Ranking as per January 1, 2015
- The two highest placed teams - not already qualified - from the CEV Volleyball European League last 4 years Ranking List (i.e. taking into account the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 editions).
The Azerbaijani National Olympic Committee (NOC) - as the competition host - has to confirm to the CEV the number of teams that will compete in the 2015 European Games by December 31, 2014. Based on this information, the Baku European Games Organizing Committee (BEGOC) on behalf of the CEV will inform NOCs/NFs in writing on January 1, 2015 of the team quota places they have obtained. The eligible NOCs must inform BEGOC and the CEV in writing by January 15, 2015 whether or not they intend to participate in the European Games. By January 30, 2015 the CEV will then re-allocate any quota places still available.
“The CEV is already working closely with the organiser to ensure the best possible conditions for both of our sports,” CEV President André Meyer said, “and we look forward to working with our National Federations, the European Olympic Committees and BEGOC to make the European Games another of our competition highlights within Europe.”
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"