Two sets are enough for Turkey to win first European League title
Rüsselsheim, Germany, July 19, 2014 - Turkey needed only two sets to seize the crown of the 2014 CEV Volleyball European League – Women on Saturday. After claiming the first leg of the final match with Germany last Wednesday in Bursa by 3-1, the young players around coach Ferhat Akbas could start their party after winning the first and second sets of the return game played on Saturday in Rüsselsheim.
The players of Turkey's national team celebrate their victory in the finals of the 2014 CEV Volleyball European League |
At this stage, Germany’s hopes to go for a golden set had vanished and even though the home heroines won the third set, Turkey finished their job with a well-deserved 3-1 victory (25-19, 25-23, 20-25, 25-20). This is Turkey’s first European League crown after they had won silver in 2009 and 2011 as well as bronze medal in the 2010 edition. This way Turkey confirmed a spot in the 2015 edition of the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix.
The 3-1 victory claimed last Wednesday in Bursa had provided Turkey with the right edge going into the return match in Rüsselsheim, where the home heroines of Germany were cheered on by 1,300 enthusiastic fans. Turkey’s victory was paved by Kübra Akman and Meliha Ismailoglu who accounted for 18 and 14 points respectively in the end. Akman – a former youth and junior European champion – also received the award for the Most Valuable Player of the finals. Germany was paced by middle-blockers Anja Brandt and Jennifer Pettke, who recorded 14 and 13 points respectively.
Click here for full report.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five