Talking Stats: Brazil end losing streak against Russia; USA recover to record win in World League finals
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 17, 2014 – Brazil snapped their four-match losing streak against defending champions Russia, while USA recorded its first win in the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World League Final Round by denying the Australians of a favourable result on their finals debut at the Nelson Mandela Forum on Thursday.
- Brazil defeated Russia 3-1 to record first win over Russia in 2 years, in the preliminary round of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- Brazil are now on a four-match winning streak in the World League after starting poorly with six defeats in their first nine matches.
- Brazilian opposite Wallace De Souza topped all scorers in this match with 23 points, of which 20 came from his fierce attacks.
- Russia have now collected two points from their two matches in Pool I, and will only proceed to the semifinals if Brazil will beat Iran on Friday.
- USA won despite losing the
first set for the fourth time this World League season – the only other team to
achieve this feat are opponents Australia.
OTHER VOLLEYBALL NEWS