Brazil renew rivalry with Russia; Australia test mettle on first trip to World League Finals
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 17, 2014 – Australia
and nine-time winners Brazil commence their Final Six bids in the 2014 FIVB
Volleyball World League at the Nelson Mandela Forum in Florence, Italy, on
Brazil will renew its 2013 World League Finals rivalry with Russia in Pool I,
while Finals first-timers Australia will play against USA, who are
aiming to bounce back from a straight sets defeat against hosts Italy on
Preview – Day 2 – World League Finals
- The hotly contested matchup between
Brazil and Russia will be a replay of the 1993, 2002, 2010, 2011 and 2013 World
League Finals, with Russia claiming victory three times and Brazil lifting the trophy
- In their 23 clashes in the Finals, Brazil have edged Russia 15 times.
- Russia have won their last four World League meetings against Brazil, earning
them their longest winning streak against the South Americans.
- Russia are aiming to become the second European nation to claim back-to-back
World League titles after Italy in 1999-2000.
- The Brazilian team’s success rate of reaching the final is 80 per cent, as in
four of their last five participations they only fell short of making it to
the gold medal match in 2012.
- Brazil are currently on a three-match winning streak after winning their last
two matches against Italy.
- The USA and Australia matchup will be the first ever meeting for these
teams in the history of the World League.
- If USA lose this match, they will finish outside of the top four in the World
League this season.
- USA have not claimed a World League victory in straight sets in any of their
last eight matches in the competition.
- USA are seeking their second World League title following their triumph in
- Australia came from back-to-back wins in the Group 2 Finals to earn their first
ever trip to the World League Final Six tournament; they are now on a four match winning
- Australia will count on Thomas Edgar to lead their offence as they battle a
prolific USA line-up.