Talking Stats: Russia overcome five-set losing spell; Italy end losing streak
Russia foiled the Final Round debut of Iran in a five-set match|
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 16, 2014 – Russia
prevailed a five-set match against Iran, while Italy scored a straight sets victory
over USA, in the opening matches of the Final Six of the 2014 FIVB Volleyball
World League at the Nelson Mandela Forum on Wednesday.
Statistical Review – Day 1 – World League Finals
Iran put on a commanding performance as
they stunned defending champions Russia in the first set. The Russians later on
raced to triumph on the succeeding two sets. On the fourth set, the match went
down to the wire as both teams refused to give up – Russia wanting to secure
the match, while Iran aiming to extend the match into the tiebreaker – bringing
the set score to a close at 37-35 in favour of Iran.
Iran used its fourth set momentum to start
their fifth set run but Russia paced to counter-attack and establish a significant
lead to secure set and match.
- Russia finally broke their
five-setter losing spell after losing their last four five-set matches in this
- For the first time since the
2011 World League final, Russia won a Final Round match after losing the first
- Iran won the fourth set 37-35,
which equalled the most points in a single set in Groups 1 and 2, it was also
the most points conceded in a set for Russia which they lost.
- Russia have now won nine of
their last 10 Final Round matches in the World League.
Click here for more information.
Meanwhile, Italy pierced the defence of USA
just enough to finish the match in straight sets. The Italians showed better
control in the end game and commanded strong performances from Ivan Zaytsev and
Jiri Kovar, who scored 21 and 10 points, respectively.
- Italy have ended their longest
losing streak of six matches in World League history.
- USA are on a downhill and have
now lost three of their last four World League matches – all three are straight-set
- The last time Italy started the
Final Round with a straight sets victory was in 2004 in Rome, where the Final
Round was last held in Italy.
- Italy have now won three World
League matches without losing a set this season, equalling their total straight
set wins from 2013.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue