Brazil claim gold medal at South American Youth Championship
Tarapoto, Peru, July 8, 2014 – Brazil, Argentina and Peru reached the podium of the five-day 19th South American Youth Championship at the Coliseo Bicentenario Morales on Sunday.
Top podium finishers Brazil, Argentina and Peru pose together at the closing ceremony of the 19th South American Youth Championship|
The three teams also claimed qualification tickets to the 2015 FIVB Volleyball U18 World Championship as an ultimate reward after their strong podium finishes.
Brazil beat hosts Peru in straight sets 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-22), limiting their unforced errors to only 17 against the hosts' 27. Brazil were led by Beatriz Carvalho and Pietra Silva with 19 and 10 points respectively. The home team's Katherine Regalado and Nicole Abreu scored 13 points each in the losing effort.
Coach Luizomar Moura celebrated the victory as he earned the 20th championship of his career as Brazil coach.
"We had a very difficult challenge because of the pressure from Peruvian supporters," Luizomar said. "This is a very valuable victory for us."
Brazilian captain Pietra, who earned championships in other age groups, overcame fear to help her team win another championship.
"This is the second time I gained this championship in the youth level because last year I won in the junior category," Pietra said. "We were very nervous in the early going as the pressure form the supporters of Peru grew high. We conquered it and now we are moving forward to prepare for the Youth World Championship."
Argentina prevailed in their five-set match against Colombia 3-2 (22-25, 22-25, 25-12, 25-14, 15-5) to claim the silver medal.
During the awards ceremony, Mr Rafael Lloreda, President of the South American Volleyball Confederation, expressed his joy at the positive development of the championship.
"This sports festival demonstrates the high level of play that South Americans have," Lloreda said. "I am proud of the results and I congratulate Brazil, Argentina and Peru, who will show the way South Americans play volleyball at the world level."
Chile v Uruguay 3-0 (25-15, 25-14, 25-21)
Argentina v Colombia 3-2 (22-25, 22-25, 25-12, 25-14, 15-5)
Brazil v Peru 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-22)
Best Outside Hitter: Adriana Durian (Colombia)
2nd Best Outside Hitter: Anahi Tosi (Argentina)
Best Middle Blocker: Candelaria Herrera (Argentina)
2nd Best Middle Blocker: Paula Maria Caraballo (Colombia)
Best Opposite: Katherine Regalado (Peru)
Best Setter: Amanda Sehn (Brazil)
Best Libero: Valentina Gonzalez (Argentina)
Most Valuable Player: Beatriz Carvalho (Brazil)
Other FIVB news
- Brazil take gold at Men's U23 South American Championship
- The Netherlands complete cast of World Grand Prix finalists
- Slovenia advance to World League Group 3 Final Four
- Brazil secure fourth slot in World Grand Prix Finals
- Brazil and Argentina to clash for gold at U23 Men's South American Championship
- Serbia, Canada, Turkey, Greece, Slovenia stay on strong pace in World League
- United States begin defense of NORCECA U19 title
- Lozano discusses special relationship with Velasco
- Serbia men's team meet fans ahead of World League games
- Sweden, France, Czech Republic and Italy celebrate golden match victories
- Teams aim for improvement in Bratislava
- Goncharova back in the driver's seat
- Teams in Almaty aim for World League Group 3 Finals
- Argentine boys’ youth team turn focus on continental championship
- VakifBank Istanbul earn wildcard for Women’s Club World Championship
- Three Olympic qualifiers and Thailand face off in Kyoto
- World Grand Prix streams live on YouTube
- Embrace volleyball for Olympic Day
- Watch World League live on YouTube
- Sokolov on target for Bulgaria
- Andrea Giani returns to Thessaloniki after 22 years
- Dominican Republic end Tomsia's scoring run
- Ojansivu inspires Finns in World League Group 2
- Leyva confirms rank in World Grand Prix Group 3
- U23 Men's South American Championship kicks off in Colombia
- Dominican Republic get presidential seal of approval
- WATCH AND VOTE: WL Top five - week one
- WATCH AND VOTE: WGP Top five - Week 2
- Volero Zürich awarded wild card for Women’s Club World Championship
- Villena keeps Spain on track in World League Group 3
- Five things we learned from WL week one
- Five things we learned from WGP week three
- Cartagena gears up for South American U23 Championship
- China and Russia assert dominance in Group 1 of FIVB World Grand Prix
- Natalia ready to deal with Rio pressure
- Serbia continue perfect run in World League Group 1
- Dominican Republic get the gold, Emiliya Nikolova gets the groom
- Video: Marouf’s tricky moves lifts Iran past Argentina
- Video: Russia’s Muserskiy drills through Polish defence
- Video: Orro’s defensive hustle drives Italian point
- Dominican Republic against Poland in World Grand Prix Group 2 final
- Kazakhstan and Croatia final clash for FIVB World Grand Prix Group 3
- Four strong teams in Varna sharing the same goal
- All eyes on Almaty for World Grand Prix Group 3 Finals
- All-European group to compete in World League in Turkey
- Puerto Rico ready to roll after 28-hour trip to Greece
- Expectations are high for Slovenia's volleyball heroes
- Belgium, Brazil, China and Serbia vie for glory in Macau
- Montenegro aim to reach Group 3 Finals again
- Once a refuge for Syria refugees, Kozani now welcomes the best of World League Group 3