Brazil claim gold medal at South American Youth Championship
Tarapoto, Peru, July 8, 2014 – Brazil, Argentina and Peru reached the podium of the five-day 19th South American Youth Championship at the Coliseo Bicentenario Morales on Sunday.
Top podium finishers Brazil, Argentina and Peru pose together at the closing ceremony of the 19th South American Youth Championship|
The three teams also claimed qualification tickets to the 2015 FIVB Volleyball U18 World Championship as an ultimate reward after their strong podium finishes.
Brazil beat hosts Peru in straight sets 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-22), limiting their unforced errors to only 17 against the hosts' 27. Brazil were led by Beatriz Carvalho and Pietra Silva with 19 and 10 points respectively. The home team's Katherine Regalado and Nicole Abreu scored 13 points each in the losing effort.
Coach Luizomar Moura celebrated the victory as he earned the 20th championship of his career as Brazil coach.
"We had a very difficult challenge because of the pressure from Peruvian supporters," Luizomar said. "This is a very valuable victory for us."
Brazilian captain Pietra, who earned championships in other age groups, overcame fear to help her team win another championship.
"This is the second time I gained this championship in the youth level because last year I won in the junior category," Pietra said. "We were very nervous in the early going as the pressure form the supporters of Peru grew high. We conquered it and now we are moving forward to prepare for the Youth World Championship."
Argentina prevailed in their five-set match against Colombia 3-2 (22-25, 22-25, 25-12, 25-14, 15-5) to claim the silver medal.
During the awards ceremony, Mr Rafael Lloreda, President of the South American Volleyball Confederation, expressed his joy at the positive development of the championship.
"This sports festival demonstrates the high level of play that South Americans have," Lloreda said. "I am proud of the results and I congratulate Brazil, Argentina and Peru, who will show the way South Americans play volleyball at the world level."
Chile v Uruguay 3-0 (25-15, 25-14, 25-21)
Argentina v Colombia 3-2 (22-25, 22-25, 25-12, 25-14, 15-5)
Brazil v Peru 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-22)
Best Outside Hitter: Adriana Durian (Colombia)
2nd Best Outside Hitter: Anahi Tosi (Argentina)
Best Middle Blocker: Candelaria Herrera (Argentina)
2nd Best Middle Blocker: Paula Maria Caraballo (Colombia)
Best Opposite: Katherine Regalado (Peru)
Best Setter: Amanda Sehn (Brazil)
Best Libero: Valentina Gonzalez (Argentina)
Most Valuable Player: Beatriz Carvalho (Brazil)
Other FIVB news
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- Montenegro win first round of European League finals
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- China and Japan to meet in 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship final
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- Chinese Taipei to play India for 5th place at the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- World Championship brings out the fan in Professor Fermeglia
- 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championship prepares for semifinals
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Qualification system for 2015 European Games confirmed
- Social Timeline: World League Finals leads to USA gold
- Women’s Club World Championship agreement with Eventcourt confirmed until 2019
- Mexico win final ticket to Italy
- Puerto Rico complete the teams qualified to Poland
- Japan overcome Italy 3-1 in fourth World Grand Prix warm-up
- Team USA Sweeps Cuba to Win NORCECA U19 Gold
- Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
- USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
- Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
- Talking Stats: USA reach third World League final; Brazil get chance to add more silverware
- Brazil and USA book World League final date
- Volleyball is thrilling a nation, say Italian papers
- Two sets are enough for Turkey to win first European League title
- Stats preview: Iran take first ever meeting with USA; Brazil aim to continue semifinal winning streak
- Top eight confirmed for the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- Talking Stats: Iran guarantee top four finish for the first time; Italy keep clean win-record
- Italian Prime Minister joins President Graca at World League Finals
- Italy v Brazil, USA v Iran in World League Semifinals
- We can be champions, says Amir Ghafour
- FIVB Volleyball World League 2015 formula confirmed
- Iran stand a good chance of qualifying, says Andrea Zorzi
- Talking stats: Iran and Australia in critical, must-win matches to make World League semifinals cut
- Neslihan Demir: Leader, iron lady, flag carrier and mother
- Talking Stats: Brazil end losing streak against Russia; USA recover to record win in World League finals
- Brazil and Italy book semifinal spots on World League Finals Day Two
- We are carrying Brazil's hopes after football failure, says Lucarelli
- Dalhausser and Rosenthal on the hunt for a ‘turkey’ in The Hague
- ‘Brazil have a point to prove’ says Zorzi
- Italy can go all the way on this form, says Zorzi
- The 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championships open in Taipei