Brazil claim gold medal at South American Youth Championship
Tarapoto, Peru, July 8, 2014 – Brazil, Argentina and Peru reached the podium of the five-day 19th South American Youth Championship at the Coliseo Bicentenario Morales on Sunday.
Top podium finishers Brazil, Argentina and Peru pose together at the closing ceremony of the 19th South American Youth Championship|
The three teams also claimed qualification tickets to the 2015 FIVB Volleyball U18 World Championship as an ultimate reward after their strong podium finishes.
Brazil beat hosts Peru in straight sets 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-22), limiting their unforced errors to only 17 against the hosts' 27. Brazil were led by Beatriz Carvalho and Pietra Silva with 19 and 10 points respectively. The home team's Katherine Regalado and Nicole Abreu scored 13 points each in the losing effort.
Coach Luizomar Moura celebrated the victory as he earned the 20th championship of his career as Brazil coach.
"We had a very difficult challenge because of the pressure from Peruvian supporters," Luizomar said. "This is a very valuable victory for us."
Brazilian captain Pietra, who earned championships in other age groups, overcame fear to help her team win another championship.
"This is the second time I gained this championship in the youth level because last year I won in the junior category," Pietra said. "We were very nervous in the early going as the pressure form the supporters of Peru grew high. We conquered it and now we are moving forward to prepare for the Youth World Championship."
Argentina prevailed in their five-set match against Colombia 3-2 (22-25, 22-25, 25-12, 25-14, 15-5) to claim the silver medal.
During the awards ceremony, Mr Rafael Lloreda, President of the South American Volleyball Confederation, expressed his joy at the positive development of the championship.
"This sports festival demonstrates the high level of play that South Americans have," Lloreda said. "I am proud of the results and I congratulate Brazil, Argentina and Peru, who will show the way South Americans play volleyball at the world level."
Chile v Uruguay 3-0 (25-15, 25-14, 25-21)
Argentina v Colombia 3-2 (22-25, 22-25, 25-12, 25-14, 15-5)
Brazil v Peru 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-22)
Best Outside Hitter: Adriana Durian (Colombia)
2nd Best Outside Hitter: Anahi Tosi (Argentina)
Best Middle Blocker: Candelaria Herrera (Argentina)
2nd Best Middle Blocker: Paula Maria Caraballo (Colombia)
Best Opposite: Katherine Regalado (Peru)
Best Setter: Amanda Sehn (Brazil)
Best Libero: Valentina Gonzalez (Argentina)
Most Valuable Player: Beatriz Carvalho (Brazil)
Other FIVB news
- Four qualify for U21 World Championship at Asian U20s
- "World champs show volleyball is still growing" says Sykora
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan