Hosts claim title at China International Women's Volleyball Tournament
Ningbo, China, June 29, 2014 - Hosts China defeated Asian champions Thailand on Sunday afternoon to win the China International Women's Volleyball Tournament with an unbeaten record.
China celebrate their victory|
Zhu Ting scored a game-high 24 points as the Chinese won in straight sets 3-0 (25-13, 25-12, 25-11). Zeng Chunlei scored 15 points for China and Yang Junjing added 10.
"We know that Thailand were playing without some key players, but we were just trying to do our best," said China head coach Jenny Lang Ping. "I told my players to serve aggressively and pay more attention to their defence and I think they did a good job."
The Chinese women produced a total of 10 aces, Zhu Ting contributing five.
Following two consecutive wins on Friday and Saturday, China started well in their last match of the round robin play, jumping to a 7-4 lead after some fine attacks by Zeng Chunlei and Zhu Ting. Thailand pulled back to 9-8, but the Chinese women put in some impressive serving and staged a 12-2 run to make it 21-10, a gap that the Thais could never close.
Thailand continued to struggle with their reception in the second set while China raced to an 11-3 lead and never looked back. In the third set, the Chinese continued their dominance and concluded the match with a 9-1 run. The Chinese also out-blocked Thailand 12-3.
Later on Sunday, the Dominican Republic beat Belgium 3-0 (25-15, 27-25, 25-21) to finish second in the four-team tournament with two wins against one loss. Bethania De La Cruz led the Dominican Republic with 19 points.
Thailand came in third with a 1-2 win-loss record ahead of the winless Belgian team.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue