Hosts claim title at China International Women's Volleyball Tournament
Ningbo, China, June 29, 2014 - Hosts China defeated Asian champions Thailand on Sunday afternoon to win the China International Women's Volleyball Tournament with an unbeaten record.
China celebrate their victory|
Zhu Ting scored a game-high 24 points as the Chinese won in straight sets 3-0 (25-13, 25-12, 25-11). Zeng Chunlei scored 15 points for China and Yang Junjing added 10.
"We know that Thailand were playing without some key players, but we were just trying to do our best," said China head coach Jenny Lang Ping. "I told my players to serve aggressively and pay more attention to their defence and I think they did a good job."
The Chinese women produced a total of 10 aces, Zhu Ting contributing five.
Following two consecutive wins on Friday and Saturday, China started well in their last match of the round robin play, jumping to a 7-4 lead after some fine attacks by Zeng Chunlei and Zhu Ting. Thailand pulled back to 9-8, but the Chinese women put in some impressive serving and staged a 12-2 run to make it 21-10, a gap that the Thais could never close.
Thailand continued to struggle with their reception in the second set while China raced to an 11-3 lead and never looked back. In the third set, the Chinese continued their dominance and concluded the match with a 9-1 run. The Chinese also out-blocked Thailand 12-3.
Later on Sunday, the Dominican Republic beat Belgium 3-0 (25-15, 27-25, 25-21) to finish second in the four-team tournament with two wins against one loss. Bethania De La Cruz led the Dominican Republic with 19 points.
Thailand came in third with a 1-2 win-loss record ahead of the winless Belgian team.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Fired-up Iran prove too strong for India to claim second win in Incheon
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Las Panteritas prepare for South American Women's Junior Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- Third international Paidar Demir tournament this weekend in Istanbul
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Thailand join China, Japan and Kuwait in quarterfinals of Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Korea and China top groups in Asian Games women's volleyball
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Brazilian coaches on both sidelines without Brazil playing
- Were you at the final?
- Russia stay top of European Ranking while Poland move up to fourth
- Maritza adds well-known names to roster before third edition of Kupa Plovdiv
- Korea, India and Thailand remain unbeaten in Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Dutch earn second win with victory against Thailand
- Italy jersey and official World Championship ball given to the Pope
- Re-live the FIVB Men's World Championship on YouTube
- Japan, China, Qatar men continue strong run in Asian Games
- Day 2 promises to be just as exciting for Women's World Championship
- Korea's women crush Thailand, China beat Hong Kong in Asian Games
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 1 - As It Happened
- Poland surge up rankings after gold medal success
- Japan drop points on opening day
- Social Media Wrap-Up - FIVB Men's World Championship
- Kuwait enjoy strong start at 17th Asian Games
- Russia and the returning Gamova out for a hat-trick of titles
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day -1 - As It Happened
- Pool A coaches honored to play in Rome
- Celebrations in Poland after a record-breaking World Championship