Hosts claim title at China International Women's Volleyball Tournament
Ningbo, China, June 29, 2014 - Hosts China defeated Asian champions Thailand on Sunday afternoon to win the China International Women's Volleyball Tournament with an unbeaten record.
China celebrate their victory|
Zhu Ting scored a game-high 24 points as the Chinese won in straight sets 3-0 (25-13, 25-12, 25-11). Zeng Chunlei scored 15 points for China and Yang Junjing added 10.
"We know that Thailand were playing without some key players, but we were just trying to do our best," said China head coach Jenny Lang Ping. "I told my players to serve aggressively and pay more attention to their defence and I think they did a good job."
The Chinese women produced a total of 10 aces, Zhu Ting contributing five.
Following two consecutive wins on Friday and Saturday, China started well in their last match of the round robin play, jumping to a 7-4 lead after some fine attacks by Zeng Chunlei and Zhu Ting. Thailand pulled back to 9-8, but the Chinese women put in some impressive serving and staged a 12-2 run to make it 21-10, a gap that the Thais could never close.
Thailand continued to struggle with their reception in the second set while China raced to an 11-3 lead and never looked back. In the third set, the Chinese continued their dominance and concluded the match with a 9-1 run. The Chinese also out-blocked Thailand 12-3.
Later on Sunday, the Dominican Republic beat Belgium 3-0 (25-15, 27-25, 25-21) to finish second in the four-team tournament with two wins against one loss. Bethania De La Cruz led the Dominican Republic with 19 points.
Thailand came in third with a 1-2 win-loss record ahead of the winless Belgian team.
Other FIVB news
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- China and Japan to meet in 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship final
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- Chinese Taipei to play India for 5th place at the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- World Championship brings out the fan in Professor Fermeglia
- 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championship prepares for semifinals
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Qualification system for 2015 European Games confirmed
- Social Timeline: World League Finals leads to USA gold
- Women’s Club World Championship agreement with Eventcourt confirmed until 2019
- Mexico win final ticket to Italy
- Puerto Rico complete the teams qualified to Poland
- Japan overcome Italy 3-1 in fourth World Grand Prix warm-up
- Team USA Sweeps Cuba to Win NORCECA U19 Gold
- Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
- USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
- Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
- Talking Stats: USA reach third World League final; Brazil get chance to add more silverware
- Brazil and USA book World League final date
- Volleyball is thrilling a nation, say Italian papers
- Two sets are enough for Turkey to win first European League title
- Stats preview: Iran take first ever meeting with USA; Brazil aim to continue semifinal winning streak
- Top eight confirmed for the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- Talking Stats: Iran guarantee top four finish for the first time; Italy keep clean win-record
- Italian Prime Minister joins President Graca at World League Finals
- Italy v Brazil, USA v Iran in World League Semifinals
- We can be champions, says Amir Ghafour
- FIVB Volleyball World League 2015 formula confirmed
- Iran stand a good chance of qualifying, says Andrea Zorzi
- Talking stats: Iran and Australia in critical, must-win matches to make World League semifinals cut
- Neslihan Demir: Leader, iron lady, flag carrier and mother
- Talking Stats: Brazil end losing streak against Russia; USA recover to record win in World League finals
- Brazil and Italy book semifinal spots on World League Finals Day Two
- We are carrying Brazil's hopes after football failure, says Lucarelli
- Dalhausser and Rosenthal on the hunt for a ‘turkey’ in The Hague
- ‘Brazil have a point to prove’ says Zorzi
- Italy can go all the way on this form, says Zorzi
- The 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championships open in Taipei
- Brazil renew rivalry with Russia; Australia test mettle on first trip to World League Finals
- 1982: The Soviet Union and China win gold at World Championships
- Talking Stats: Russia overcome five-set losing spell; Italy end losing streak
- Italy and Russia record wins as World League Finals begin
- Turkey one step closer to European League crown
- NORCECA Women’s Playoff gets under way in Trinidad
- Andrea Zorzi: Pavlov and Muserskiy combo will be key for Russia
- 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championship kicks off in Taipei