Peru to host 2014 Girls' Youth South American Volleyball Championship
Tarapoto, Peru, June 27, 2014 - Tarapoto in Peru will host the 2014 Girls' Youth South American Volleyball Championship from July 2-6. The hosts will be joined by Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia and Uruguay at the Coliseum Bicentenario of Morales, where the six nations will play to qualify for the FIVB Girls' Under 18 World Championship in 2015.
Peru will play hosts to Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia and Uruguay at the Coliseum Cerrado Bicentenario de Morales|
Due to the high temperatures characteristic of the region at this time of year, the Peruvian national team are already in Tarapoto to acclimatise. They will aim to hold on to the championship title won two years ago.
Peru coach Juan Diego Garcia's team prepared for the competition with a tour of Argentina. The team then returned to Lima to take on the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Chile in the Copa Plaza Norte. The final phase of their preparations for the South American championship took the form of participation in the International Division of the American Atheletics Union (AAU) volleyball championships in the United States, where they beat teams from Germany, Israel and Mexico.
"We are arriving at the tournament at a good time, as we have had the opportunity to train against different teams and have a fairly well-prepared national team. We now need to demonstrate what we have been practising daily. Our biggest challenge has been to improve on a daily basis and to meet all our commitments successfully," said Juan Diego Garcia.
The Argentina team, coached by Mauro Silvestre, will travel to the South American Championship in Peru on Wednesday. They too have begun preparations for the tournament and will hope to perform as well as in the last two editions, when they qualified for the World Championships in Turkey in 2011 and in Thailand in 2013.
The 2014 Girls' Youth South American Volleyball Championship will be broadcast live on the website of the South American Volleyball Confederation. Matches from Peru will also be broadcast live.
Other FIVB news
- Brazil defeat Canada before trip to France
- Teams aim to take their game a notch higher in Komaki
- Self-belief and hard work result in gold for Russia
- Honda presents FIVB with new CR-V
- Peru to warm up in the Dominican Republic
- Molero hired to coach Puerto Rico's U20 Women's team
- Teams travel from Sendai and Okayama to Nagoya
- VOTE: Rio 2016 dreams on the line
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 8
- USA, Russia, China, Serbia keep 7-1 win-loss cards on Day 8
- Six teams confirmed for Men's Club World Championship
- USA whitewash Cuba 3-0 to lead World Cup title race
- Favourites gear up for Men's World Cup
- U18 world champion Egonu an ambassador for the new Italy
- Canada coach Barrett: 'We are happy to arrive early'
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 7
- Serbia score huge upset on Russia on World Cup Day 7
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 6
- Brazil claim final USAV Cup win
- Russia and USA stay on top at start of World Cup second round
- Win with the #VabochanChallenge
- Teams expect tough competition in Sendai
- Cuba, Italy and Russia book semifinal tickets at Men's U23 World Championship
- Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- USAV Cup hosts claim first win
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Hosts concede second defeat to Brazil in USAV Cup
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- Men's U21 World Championship match schedule now online
- USA lose to Brazil in USAV Cup opener
- Poland defeat France in Wagner Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title