President Graça: World League Group 3 Finals provide "unique opportunity"
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 26, 2014 – As hosts Turkey, Cuba, China and Slovakia prepare for the FIVB Volleyball World League Group 3 Finals this weekend, FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° said these represented "a unique opportunity for the four teams involved to pick up some invaluable experience and put down markers for the seasons ahead."
The World League Group 3 Finals take place in Bursa, Turkey, on Saturday and Sunday|
The Group 3 Finals, which bring together the best teams in World League Pools F and G, take place at the Cengiz Gollu Volleyball Hall in Bursa, Turkey. On Saturday, the semifinals will see Cuba take on China at 14.00 local time, while hosts Turkey will play Slovakia at 17.00. On Sunday, the final for third place will be played at 14.00 local time, before the final for first place at 17.00.
This year, 28 teams are competing in the World League, which is ten teams more than in 2013. The 28 teams are split into seven pools of four teams each. Group 1 contains Pools A and B, Group 2 includes Pools C, D and E, while Group 3 saw Cuba take on debutants Tunisia, Turkey and Mexico in Pool F and China and Slovakia dominate Puerto Rico and Spain in Pool G.
Cuba finished top of Pool F on 15 points, two more than
second-placed Turkey. The Caribbean team have played their semifinal opponents China nine times in the World League, winning six matches and losing three. China meanwhile progressed to the semifinal after earning 14 points from five wins
and one loss in Pool G, three points more than runners-up Slovakia. Cuba are currently ranked seventh in the world and were 13th in the 2013 edition of the World League. China are ranked 18th, but did not participate in last year’s 18-team event.
The second semifinal will see Slovakia, who are ranked 36th and are also new to the FIVB’s premier annual competition for national teams, take on Turkey. The Group 3 Finals hosts are the lowest ranked team participating in this year's World League, but will hope to gain an advantage from playing in front of home support in Bursa. This is also their first participation in the competition.
Visit the Live Scorebox page for the latest news and results this weekend. World League Intercontinental Round action also continues with matches in Pools A-E.
Other FIVB news
- Four qualify for U21 World Championship at Asian U20s
- "World champs show volleyball is still growing" says Sykora
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan