President Graça: World League Group 3 Finals provide "unique opportunity"
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 26, 2014 – As hosts Turkey, Cuba, China and Slovakia prepare for the FIVB Volleyball World League Group 3 Finals this weekend, FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° said these represented "a unique opportunity for the four teams involved to pick up some invaluable experience and put down markers for the seasons ahead."
The World League Group 3 Finals take place in Bursa, Turkey, on Saturday and Sunday|
The Group 3 Finals, which bring together the best teams in World League Pools F and G, take place at the Cengiz Gollu Volleyball Hall in Bursa, Turkey. On Saturday, the semifinals will see Cuba take on China at 14.00 local time, while hosts Turkey will play Slovakia at 17.00. On Sunday, the final for third place will be played at 14.00 local time, before the final for first place at 17.00.
This year, 28 teams are competing in the World League, which is ten teams more than in 2013. The 28 teams are split into seven pools of four teams each. Group 1 contains Pools A and B, Group 2 includes Pools C, D and E, while Group 3 saw Cuba take on debutants Tunisia, Turkey and Mexico in Pool F and China and Slovakia dominate Puerto Rico and Spain in Pool G.
Cuba finished top of Pool F on 15 points, two more than
second-placed Turkey. The Caribbean team have played their semifinal opponents China nine times in the World League, winning six matches and losing three. China meanwhile progressed to the semifinal after earning 14 points from five wins
and one loss in Pool G, three points more than runners-up Slovakia. Cuba are currently ranked seventh in the world and were 13th in the 2013 edition of the World League. China are ranked 18th, but did not participate in last year’s 18-team event.
The second semifinal will see Slovakia, who are ranked 36th and are also new to the FIVB’s premier annual competition for national teams, take on Turkey. The Group 3 Finals hosts are the lowest ranked team participating in this year's World League, but will hope to gain an advantage from playing in front of home support in Bursa. This is also their first participation in the competition.
Visit the Live Scorebox page for the latest news and results this weekend. World League Intercontinental Round action also continues with matches in Pools A-E.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Belgium shut out home favourites in Ankara
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance