USA host Serbia in World League 'Match of the week'
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 13, 2014 - On week four of the FIVB Volleyball World League, 'Match of the week' turns its attention to Saturday's pool B clash between USA and Serbia. The programme allows broadcasters to televise one match from each week of the FIVB’s premier annual tournament for men for free.
The USA celebrate after beating pool B rivals Bulgaria 3-2|
The two teams will play at 19.00 local time at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago, in the second of two meetings between USA and Serbia this weekend. The United States (WR 4) and Serbia (WR 9) are on ten points after four matches each in pool B, which also features Bulgaria (WR 6) and defending champions Russia (WR 2), both on two points.
Saturday's match will be a replay of the 2008 World League final, when USA beat Serbia 3-1 to grab their first ever World League title. USA and Serbia (including Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro), however, have met eight times before in the World League, with Serbia winning on six occasions.
The North American team have begun their World League campaign with four wins, two away to Bulgaria and two hosting Russia. Their first matches against the two teams both went to five sets. Serbia, on the other hand, won their first two matches against Russia, before pulling off victories away to Bulgaria. Players to look out for this weekend include Erik Shoji of the United States, who has a receiving efficiency of 62.5%, which is the best of all players in group 1 (Pool A and B) this World League season. Serbia’s Uros Kovacevic has a spike rate of 52.8%, making him the most efficient player of group 1 (Pool A and B) in this category.
Speaking ahead of the two-match encounter this weekend, US Head Coach John Speraw said: "That’s always fun when you have a match between two teams at the top of the pool. (Serbia) are an exceptional volleyball team. They play the game very well. They control the ball very well. They have a really high-level service game. It will present us with another really unique challenge."
The first World League 'Match of the Week' saw Brazil, last year’s World League silver medallists and current World Champions, take on Italy in a pool A match on May 24 in Jaragua Do Sul, Brazil. The Italians defeated Brazil 3-1 (17-25, 26-24, 23-25, 20-25).
Week two of the competition saw the 'Match of the week' programme zoom in on Serbia's victory against Russia 3-1 (21-25, 25-16, 25-18, 25-20). In week three, the programme highlighted the pool A match between Italy and Poland at the spectacular outdoor venue at the Foro Italico in Rome, which the hosts won 3-1 (25-21, 25-20, 15-25, 25-17) in front of 11,000 enthusiastic fans.
This week fans will be able to watch the United States take on Sertbia in a pool B match on June 14 at 19.00 local time at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago.
Week five will see Poland take on Brazil on June 22 at 19.30 at Luczniczka Hall in Bydgoszcz. Week six will feature Russia again, this time taking on USA in a pool B match on June 28 at 18.00 at the Yantarny Arena in Kaliningrad. In week 7, fans will be able to watch Bulgaria host Russia in a pool B match on July 6 at 20.00 at the Arena Armeec in Sofia.
The FIVB Volleyball World League which began on May 23 will end with the Finals taking place on July 20.
For more information, contact the FIVB TV & Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other FIVB news
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win against Italy, Poland win in Tehran on day 22
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance
- Men's U21 World Championship draw to take place in Tijuana
- Draw held in Argentina for U19 World Championship
- Finland know World League target
- World Grand Prix preview: Six-week, record-breaking spectacle kicks off in Mexico and Kazakhstan
- World League Week 7 Preview: France aim to equal Dutch record
- Poland, Serbia, Turkey and hosts Azerbaijan make European Games semis
- Australia brace for big showdown with Brazil in Sydney
- Montenegro lead the way in Group 3
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week six
- USA and China to renew rivalry at World Cup
- Eliminating language barriers: The evolution of volleyball Olympic pictograms
- Kenya, Algeria turn attention to World Grand Prix
- World League Week 6 review
- Top band The Potbelleez to entertain Australia-Brazil crowds
- Olympic and World champions to meet in World Cup
- FIVB World League Week 6 - As It Happened