USA host Serbia in World League 'Match of the week'
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 13, 2014 - On week four of the FIVB Volleyball World League, 'Match of the week' turns its attention to Saturday's pool B clash between USA and Serbia. The programme allows broadcasters to televise one match from each week of the FIVB’s premier annual tournament for men for free.
The USA celebrate after beating pool B rivals Bulgaria 3-2|
The two teams will play at 19.00 local time at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago, in the second of two meetings between USA and Serbia this weekend. The United States (WR 4) and Serbia (WR 9) are on ten points after four matches each in pool B, which also features Bulgaria (WR 6) and defending champions Russia (WR 2), both on two points.
Saturday's match will be a replay of the 2008 World League final, when USA beat Serbia 3-1 to grab their first ever World League title. USA and Serbia (including Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro), however, have met eight times before in the World League, with Serbia winning on six occasions.
The North American team have begun their World League campaign with four wins, two away to Bulgaria and two hosting Russia. Their first matches against the two teams both went to five sets. Serbia, on the other hand, won their first two matches against Russia, before pulling off victories away to Bulgaria. Players to look out for this weekend include Erik Shoji of the United States, who has a receiving efficiency of 62.5%, which is the best of all players in group 1 (Pool A and B) this World League season. Serbia’s Uros Kovacevic has a spike rate of 52.8%, making him the most efficient player of group 1 (Pool A and B) in this category.
Speaking ahead of the two-match encounter this weekend, US Head Coach John Speraw said: "That’s always fun when you have a match between two teams at the top of the pool. (Serbia) are an exceptional volleyball team. They play the game very well. They control the ball very well. They have a really high-level service game. It will present us with another really unique challenge."
The first World League 'Match of the Week' saw Brazil, last year’s World League silver medallists and current World Champions, take on Italy in a pool A match on May 24 in Jaragua Do Sul, Brazil. The Italians defeated Brazil 3-1 (17-25, 26-24, 23-25, 20-25).
Week two of the competition saw the 'Match of the week' programme zoom in on Serbia's victory against Russia 3-1 (21-25, 25-16, 25-18, 25-20). In week three, the programme highlighted the pool A match between Italy and Poland at the spectacular outdoor venue at the Foro Italico in Rome, which the hosts won 3-1 (25-21, 25-20, 15-25, 25-17) in front of 11,000 enthusiastic fans.
This week fans will be able to watch the United States take on Sertbia in a pool B match on June 14 at 19.00 local time at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago.
Week five will see Poland take on Brazil on June 22 at 19.30 at Luczniczka Hall in Bydgoszcz. Week six will feature Russia again, this time taking on USA in a pool B match on June 28 at 18.00 at the Yantarny Arena in Kaliningrad. In week 7, fans will be able to watch Bulgaria host Russia in a pool B match on July 6 at 20.00 at the Arena Armeec in Sofia.
The FIVB Volleyball World League which began on May 23 will end with the Finals taking place on July 20.
For more information, contact the FIVB TV & Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other FIVB news
- Four qualify for U21 World Championship at Asian U20s
- "World champs show volleyball is still growing" says Sykora
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan