USA host Serbia in World League 'Match of the week'
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 13, 2014 - On week four of the FIVB Volleyball World League, 'Match of the week' turns its attention to Saturday's pool B clash between USA and Serbia. The programme allows broadcasters to televise one match from each week of the FIVB’s premier annual tournament for men for free.
The USA celebrate after beating pool B rivals Bulgaria 3-2|
The two teams will play at 19.00 local time at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago, in the second of two meetings between USA and Serbia this weekend. The United States (WR 4) and Serbia (WR 9) are on ten points after four matches each in pool B, which also features Bulgaria (WR 6) and defending champions Russia (WR 2), both on two points.
Saturday's match will be a replay of the 2008 World League final, when USA beat Serbia 3-1 to grab their first ever World League title. USA and Serbia (including Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro), however, have met eight times before in the World League, with Serbia winning on six occasions.
The North American team have begun their World League campaign with four wins, two away to Bulgaria and two hosting Russia. Their first matches against the two teams both went to five sets. Serbia, on the other hand, won their first two matches against Russia, before pulling off victories away to Bulgaria. Players to look out for this weekend include Erik Shoji of the United States, who has a receiving efficiency of 62.5%, which is the best of all players in group 1 (Pool A and B) this World League season. Serbia’s Uros Kovacevic has a spike rate of 52.8%, making him the most efficient player of group 1 (Pool A and B) in this category.
Speaking ahead of the two-match encounter this weekend, US Head Coach John Speraw said: "That’s always fun when you have a match between two teams at the top of the pool. (Serbia) are an exceptional volleyball team. They play the game very well. They control the ball very well. They have a really high-level service game. It will present us with another really unique challenge."
The first World League 'Match of the Week' saw Brazil, last year’s World League silver medallists and current World Champions, take on Italy in a pool A match on May 24 in Jaragua Do Sul, Brazil. The Italians defeated Brazil 3-1 (17-25, 26-24, 23-25, 20-25).
Week two of the competition saw the 'Match of the week' programme zoom in on Serbia's victory against Russia 3-1 (21-25, 25-16, 25-18, 25-20). In week three, the programme highlighted the pool A match between Italy and Poland at the spectacular outdoor venue at the Foro Italico in Rome, which the hosts won 3-1 (25-21, 25-20, 15-25, 25-17) in front of 11,000 enthusiastic fans.
This week fans will be able to watch the United States take on Sertbia in a pool B match on June 14 at 19.00 local time at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago.
Week five will see Poland take on Brazil on June 22 at 19.30 at Luczniczka Hall in Bydgoszcz. Week six will feature Russia again, this time taking on USA in a pool B match on June 28 at 18.00 at the Yantarny Arena in Kaliningrad. In week 7, fans will be able to watch Bulgaria host Russia in a pool B match on July 6 at 20.00 at the Arena Armeec in Sofia.
The FIVB Volleyball World League which began on May 23 will end with the Finals taking place on July 20.
For more information, contact the FIVB TV & Marketing Department at email@example.com
Other FIVB news
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix
- Mexico to stage first weekend of FIVB World Grand Prix Pool Q matches
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- Montenegro win first round of European League finals
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- China and Japan to meet in 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship final
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- Chinese Taipei to play India for 5th place at the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- World Championship brings out the fan in Professor Fermeglia
- 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championship prepares for semifinals
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Qualification system for 2015 European Games confirmed
- Social Timeline: World League Finals leads to USA gold
- Women’s Club World Championship agreement with Eventcourt confirmed until 2019
- Mexico win final ticket to Italy
- Puerto Rico complete the teams qualified to Poland
- Japan overcome Italy 3-1 in fourth World Grand Prix warm-up
- Team USA Sweeps Cuba to Win NORCECA U19 Gold
- Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
- USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
- Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
- Talking Stats: USA reach third World League final; Brazil get chance to add more silverware
- Brazil and USA book World League final date
- Volleyball is thrilling a nation, say Italian papers
- Two sets are enough for Turkey to win first European League title
- Stats preview: Iran take first ever meeting with USA; Brazil aim to continue semifinal winning streak
- Top eight confirmed for the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- Talking Stats: Iran guarantee top four finish for the first time; Italy keep clean win-record
- Italian Prime Minister joins President Graca at World League Finals
- Italy v Brazil, USA v Iran in World League Semifinals
- We can be champions, says Amir Ghafour
- FIVB Volleyball World League 2015 formula confirmed
- Iran stand a good chance of qualifying, says Andrea Zorzi
- Talking stats: Iran and Australia in critical, must-win matches to make World League semifinals cut
- Neslihan Demir: Leader, iron lady, flag carrier and mother
- Talking Stats: Brazil end losing streak against Russia; USA recover to record win in World League finals
- Brazil and Italy book semifinal spots on World League Finals Day Two
- We are carrying Brazil's hopes after football failure, says Lucarelli
- Dalhausser and Rosenthal on the hunt for a ‘turkey’ in The Hague
- ‘Brazil have a point to prove’ says Zorzi