Italy and Poland in World League 'Match of the week' spotlight
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 6, 2014 - 'Match of the week', the programme which allows broadcasters to televise one match from each week of the FIVB’s premier annual tournament for men for free, will turn the spotlight on the World League pool A match between Italy and Poland on Sunday.
Italy are top of World League Pool A after winning their first four matches in the competition|
Week three of the FIVB Volleyball World League sees a total of 32 matches take place across Pools A-G, including crucial games for favourites Brazil (WR 1) and Russia (WR 2), who will want to get their campaigns back on track against Iran (WR 12) and the United States (WR 4) respectively.
Italy (WR 3) and Poland (WR 5) will play twice this weekend, first at the Pala Florio in Bari, which is expected to be sold out to its 5,000 capacity on Friday, and on Sunday at 20.00 at the Foro Italico in Rome, which will be the venue for the 'Match of the week' programme. Italy have started the competition well, with four victories, while Poland, who won one of their two matches against Brazil last weekend, will hope to do as well or better against coach Mauro Berruto's team.
The 'Match of the week' between Italy and Poland will take place outdoors on the Rome Tennis Centre’s centre court, which is expected to be filled to its 10,500 capacity. The venue at the Foro Italico Sports Complex is no stranger to major volleyball events having hosted the 2011 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships and the 2012 Rome Grand Slam.
The match is to be the centre piece of celebrations for the centenary of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI), with a plethora of sporting events for the public to join in at the Foro Italico.
A number of measures have been put in place to ensure that the match can go ahead in the open air, most notably machines that will line the court to stop too much condensation forming on the court. In case of rain, the Italian Volleyball Federation has booked the Palalottomatica arena in the EUR area of the city as a substitute venue.
The first World League 'Match of the Week' saw Brazil, last year’s World League silver medallists and current World Champions, take on Italy in a pool A match on May 24 at 10.00 at the Arena Jaragua in Jaragua Do Sul, Brazil. The Italians defeated Brazil 3-1 (17-25, 26-24, 23-25, 20-25).
Week two of the competition saw the 'Match of the week' programme zoom in on Serbia's victory against Russia 3-1 (21-25, 25-16, 25-18, 25-20).
This week fans will be able to watch Italy take on the Men’s World Championship host, Poland in a pool A match on June 8 at 20.00 at the Foro Italico in Rome.
In week four, fans will be able to watch USA host Serbia (WR 9) in a pool A match on June 14 at 19.00 in Chicago at the UIC Pavillion, while week five will see Poland take on Brazil on June 22 at 19.30 at Luczniczka Hall in Bydgoszcz. Week six will feature Russia again, this time taking on USA in a pool B match on June 28 at 18.00 at the Yantarny Arena in Kaliningrad. In week 7, fans will be able to watch Bulgaria (WR 6) host Russia in a pool B match on July 6 at 20.00 at the Arena Armeec in Sofia.
The FIVB Volleyball World League which began on May 23 will end with the Finals taking place on July 20.
For more information, contact the FIVB TV & Marketing Department at email@example.com
Other FIVB news
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix
- Mexico to stage first weekend of FIVB World Grand Prix Pool Q matches
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- Montenegro win first round of European League finals
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- China and Japan to meet in 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship final
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- Chinese Taipei to play India for 5th place at the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- World Championship brings out the fan in Professor Fermeglia
- 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championship prepares for semifinals
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Qualification system for 2015 European Games confirmed
- Social Timeline: World League Finals leads to USA gold
- Women’s Club World Championship agreement with Eventcourt confirmed until 2019
- Mexico win final ticket to Italy
- Puerto Rico complete the teams qualified to Poland
- Japan overcome Italy 3-1 in fourth World Grand Prix warm-up
- Team USA Sweeps Cuba to Win NORCECA U19 Gold
- Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
- USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
- Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
- Talking Stats: USA reach third World League final; Brazil get chance to add more silverware
- Brazil and USA book World League final date
- Volleyball is thrilling a nation, say Italian papers
- Two sets are enough for Turkey to win first European League title
- Stats preview: Iran take first ever meeting with USA; Brazil aim to continue semifinal winning streak
- Top eight confirmed for the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- Talking Stats: Iran guarantee top four finish for the first time; Italy keep clean win-record
- Italian Prime Minister joins President Graca at World League Finals
- Italy v Brazil, USA v Iran in World League Semifinals
- We can be champions, says Amir Ghafour
- FIVB Volleyball World League 2015 formula confirmed
- Iran stand a good chance of qualifying, says Andrea Zorzi
- Talking stats: Iran and Australia in critical, must-win matches to make World League semifinals cut
- Neslihan Demir: Leader, iron lady, flag carrier and mother
- Talking Stats: Brazil end losing streak against Russia; USA recover to record win in World League finals
- Brazil and Italy book semifinal spots on World League Finals Day Two
- We are carrying Brazil's hopes after football failure, says Lucarelli
- Dalhausser and Rosenthal on the hunt for a ‘turkey’ in The Hague