Italy and Poland in World League 'Match of the week' spotlight
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 6, 2014 - 'Match of the week', the programme which allows broadcasters to televise one match from each week of the FIVB’s premier annual tournament for men for free, will turn the spotlight on the World League pool A match between Italy and Poland on Sunday.
Italy are top of World League Pool A after winning their first four matches in the competition|
Week three of the FIVB Volleyball World League sees a total of 32 matches take place across Pools A-G, including crucial games for favourites Brazil (WR 1) and Russia (WR 2), who will want to get their campaigns back on track against Iran (WR 12) and the United States (WR 4) respectively.
Italy (WR 3) and Poland (WR 5) will play twice this weekend, first at the Pala Florio in Bari, which is expected to be sold out to its 5,000 capacity on Friday, and on Sunday at 20.00 at the Foro Italico in Rome, which will be the venue for the 'Match of the week' programme. Italy have started the competition well, with four victories, while Poland, who won one of their two matches against Brazil last weekend, will hope to do as well or better against coach Mauro Berruto's team.
The 'Match of the week' between Italy and Poland will take place outdoors on the Rome Tennis Centre’s centre court, which is expected to be filled to its 10,500 capacity. The venue at the Foro Italico Sports Complex is no stranger to major volleyball events having hosted the 2011 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships and the 2012 Rome Grand Slam.
The match is to be the centre piece of celebrations for the centenary of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI), with a plethora of sporting events for the public to join in at the Foro Italico.
A number of measures have been put in place to ensure that the match can go ahead in the open air, most notably machines that will line the court to stop too much condensation forming on the court. In case of rain, the Italian Volleyball Federation has booked the Palalottomatica arena in the EUR area of the city as a substitute venue.
The first World League 'Match of the Week' saw Brazil, last year’s World League silver medallists and current World Champions, take on Italy in a pool A match on May 24 at 10.00 at the Arena Jaragua in Jaragua Do Sul, Brazil. The Italians defeated Brazil 3-1 (17-25, 26-24, 23-25, 20-25).
Week two of the competition saw the 'Match of the week' programme zoom in on Serbia's victory against Russia 3-1 (21-25, 25-16, 25-18, 25-20).
This week fans will be able to watch Italy take on the Men’s World Championship host, Poland in a pool A match on June 8 at 20.00 at the Foro Italico in Rome.
In week four, fans will be able to watch USA host Serbia (WR 9) in a pool A match on June 14 at 19.00 in Chicago at the UIC Pavillion, while week five will see Poland take on Brazil on June 22 at 19.30 at Luczniczka Hall in Bydgoszcz. Week six will feature Russia again, this time taking on USA in a pool B match on June 28 at 18.00 at the Yantarny Arena in Kaliningrad. In week 7, fans will be able to watch Bulgaria (WR 6) host Russia in a pool B match on July 6 at 20.00 at the Arena Armeec in Sofia.
The FIVB Volleyball World League which began on May 23 will end with the Finals taking place on July 20.
For more information, contact the FIVB TV & Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other FIVB news
- "World champs show volleyball is still growing" says Sykora
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan
- Volleyball celebrates 50 years at the Olympics