Italy and Poland in World League 'Match of the week' spotlight
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 6, 2014 - 'Match of the week', the programme which allows broadcasters to televise one match from each week of the FIVB’s premier annual tournament for men for free, will turn the spotlight on the World League pool A match between Italy and Poland on Sunday.
Italy are top of World League Pool A after winning their first four matches in the competition|
Week three of the FIVB Volleyball World League sees a total of 32 matches take place across Pools A-G, including crucial games for favourites Brazil (WR 1) and Russia (WR 2), who will want to get their campaigns back on track against Iran (WR 12) and the United States (WR 4) respectively.
Italy (WR 3) and Poland (WR 5) will play twice this weekend, first at the Pala Florio in Bari, which is expected to be sold out to its 5,000 capacity on Friday, and on Sunday at 20.00 at the Foro Italico in Rome, which will be the venue for the 'Match of the week' programme. Italy have started the competition well, with four victories, while Poland, who won one of their two matches against Brazil last weekend, will hope to do as well or better against coach Mauro Berruto's team.
The 'Match of the week' between Italy and Poland will take place outdoors on the Rome Tennis Centre’s centre court, which is expected to be filled to its 10,500 capacity. The venue at the Foro Italico Sports Complex is no stranger to major volleyball events having hosted the 2011 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships and the 2012 Rome Grand Slam.
The match is to be the centre piece of celebrations for the centenary of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI), with a plethora of sporting events for the public to join in at the Foro Italico.
A number of measures have been put in place to ensure that the match can go ahead in the open air, most notably machines that will line the court to stop too much condensation forming on the court. In case of rain, the Italian Volleyball Federation has booked the Palalottomatica arena in the EUR area of the city as a substitute venue.
The first World League 'Match of the Week' saw Brazil, last year’s World League silver medallists and current World Champions, take on Italy in a pool A match on May 24 at 10.00 at the Arena Jaragua in Jaragua Do Sul, Brazil. The Italians defeated Brazil 3-1 (17-25, 26-24, 23-25, 20-25).
Week two of the competition saw the 'Match of the week' programme zoom in on Serbia's victory against Russia 3-1 (21-25, 25-16, 25-18, 25-20).
This week fans will be able to watch Italy take on the Men’s World Championship host, Poland in a pool A match on June 8 at 20.00 at the Foro Italico in Rome.
In week four, fans will be able to watch USA host Serbia (WR 9) in a pool A match on June 14 at 19.00 in Chicago at the UIC Pavillion, while week five will see Poland take on Brazil on June 22 at 19.30 at Luczniczka Hall in Bydgoszcz. Week six will feature Russia again, this time taking on USA in a pool B match on June 28 at 18.00 at the Yantarny Arena in Kaliningrad. In week 7, fans will be able to watch Bulgaria (WR 6) host Russia in a pool B match on July 6 at 20.00 at the Arena Armeec in Sofia.
The FIVB Volleyball World League which began on May 23 will end with the Finals taking place on July 20.
For more information, contact the FIVB TV & Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Fired-up Iran prove too strong for India to claim second win in Incheon
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Las Panteritas prepare for South American Women's Junior Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- Third international Paidar Demir tournament this weekend in Istanbul
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Thailand join China, Japan and Kuwait in quarterfinals of Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Korea and China top groups in Asian Games women's volleyball
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Brazilian coaches on both sidelines without Brazil playing
- Were you at the final?
- Russia stay top of European Ranking while Poland move up to fourth
- Maritza adds well-known names to roster before third edition of Kupa Plovdiv
- Korea, India and Thailand remain unbeaten in Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Dutch earn second win with victory against Thailand
- Italy jersey and official World Championship ball given to the Pope
- Re-live the FIVB Men's World Championship on YouTube
- Japan, China, Qatar men continue strong run in Asian Games
- Day 2 promises to be just as exciting for Women's World Championship
- Korea's women crush Thailand, China beat Hong Kong in Asian Games
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 1 - As It Happened
- Poland surge up rankings after gold medal success
- Japan drop points on opening day
- Social Media Wrap-Up - FIVB Men's World Championship
- Kuwait enjoy strong start at 17th Asian Games
- Russia and the returning Gamova out for a hat-trick of titles
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day -1 - As It Happened
- Pool A coaches honored to play in Rome
- Celebrations in Poland after a record-breaking World Championship