World League Week 2 statistical review: Italy, France log double straight-set triumphs
Only France and Italy scored consecutive straight-set victories on the second week of the FIVB Volleyball World League|
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 2, 2014 – Italy
and France recorded two consecutive victories in straight sets on the second
week of the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World League Intercontinental Round to claim
Pool A and Pool D leadership, respectively.
In Pool A, Brazil and Poland settled for a
draw on their second week encounters. Brazil finally snapped a three-match skid
with their 3-0 win on May 29, then Poland reversed it the next day after they
pulled off a straight sets win. It was the first straight-set win between these
two teams in eight matches.
Italy grabbed the top spot in Pool A by
beating Iran in straight sets twice. The Italians have only dropped two sets in
the first two weeks of competition. Italy are off to a good start since they
have started their World League campaign with four straight wins, their first
Serbia stole the limelight from the defending champions Russia by winning both
matches in Pool B. Serbia handed Russia its season opening loss in a five-set
match – their seventh tiebreaker encounter which Serbia won for the first time.
Serbia performed better the next day with a 3-1 victory over the strong Russian
side. It was only the second time Serbia defeated Russia in consecutive World
League matches, after winning three in a row in 2007-2009 in their 22 meetings.
Canada scored consecutive victories over
Finland in their season debut. In their first match in Pool C, Canada obtained
a 3-0 win after restraining Finland from making any surge. This defeat is their
third time in World League history to win in straight sets over the Finns. The
Canadians had a difficult second match with Finland as they were forced to play
the tiebreaker. However, the Canadians prevailed in the end.
Argentina ended their 13-match losing
streak in Pool D when they beat Germany in straight sets. The last time Argentina
won in straight sets in the World League was in 2012 against Pool E contender
Portugal. Germany made a huge comeback win 3-2 after dropping the first two
sets in their second meeting.
Like Italy, France claimed two more
victories on the second week courtesy of their 3-0 successes over Japan in the
other Pool D matches. France achieved for the first time in World League
history, a seven-match winning streak.
In Pool E, Netherlands, Korea, Portugal and
Czech Republic made their season debut in the second week.
Netherlands won the first match in straight
sets against a young Korean squad, their 18th win in 19 World League meetings. The
following day, Korea retaliated with a 3-1 conquest of the Dutch team. Korea’s
second match victory ended the 21-year winless drought with the Netherlands.
Portugal were held to a draw by Czech
Republic. Portugal won the first encounter in a four-setter match. Czech
Republic deadlocked Portugal with a 3-0 win, ending their three-match World
League losing streak.
Click here for more
week 2 review statistics
Other FIVB news
- Honda presents FIVB with new CR-V
- Teams travel from Sendai and Okayama to Nagoya
- VOTE: Rio 2016 dreams on the line
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 8
- USA, Russia, China, Serbia keep 7-1 win-loss cards on Day 8
- Six teams confirmed for Men's Club World Championship
- USA whitewash Cuba 3-0 to lead World Cup title race
- Favourites gear up for Men's World Cup
- U18 world champion Egonu an ambassador for the new Italy
- Canada coach Barrett: 'We are happy to arrive early'
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 7
- Serbia score huge upset on Russia on World Cup Day 7
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 6
- Brazil claim final USAV Cup win
- Russia and USA stay on top at start of World Cup second round
- Win with the #VabochanChallenge
- Teams expect tough competition in Sendai
- Cuba, Italy and Russia book semifinal tickets at Men's U23 World Championship
- Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- USAV Cup hosts claim first win
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Hosts concede second defeat to Brazil in USAV Cup
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- Men's U21 World Championship match schedule now online
- USA lose to Brazil in USAV Cup opener
- Poland defeat France in Wagner Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- Wagner Cup coaches putting on finishing touches ahead of World Cup
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day
- VOTE: Top of the class?
- Rising star Souza takes Brazil forward