The United States and Guatemala dominate in NORCECA Men’s Pool O
Colorado Springs, United States, May 15, 2014 - The United States and Guatemala registered straight set victories on Thursday to open the NORCECA Men’s Pool O Third-Round Qualification Tournament for the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championships in Poland.
Veteran Reid Priddy scored 11 points for the United States|
An experienced United States squad used a 10-0 block advantage en route to defeating St. Lucia 3-0 (25-13, 25-9, 25-9), while Guatemala overpowered Haiti 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-8) at the US Olympic Training Centre in Colorado Springs.
Carson Clark produced a match-high 12 points for the US and Reid Priddy totalled 11. St. Lucia’s Joseph Clercent and Julian Bissette notched six points each in the loss.
In addition to their blocking dominance, the US held a 7-1 margin in aces and limited their errors to 13 for the match.
In the second game, Moises Reyes led Guatemala with 16 points, while Andy Leonardo tacked on 14 points. Jeyson Nery also collected 13 points in the victory. Roudolphe Wilems Gaethan paced Haiti with nine points.
Guatemala out-blocked Haiti 9-3 in the victory and held a 4-0 margin in aces.
“It’s obviously a good start for us to get a win,” US captain Sean Rooney said. “In my opinion, St. Lucia are a better team than we saw in September, the last time we played them, and it’s possible we might see them again in this tournament.”
“In the first set we were a little nervous, but by the third set we were totally confident and ended up playing really well,” Guatemalan setter Gerardo Gonzalez said. “We are excited to play the United States tomorrow and we’ll give all we have got.”
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance
- Men's U21 World Championship draw to take place in Tijuana
- Draw held in Argentina for U19 World Championship
- Finland know World League target
- World Grand Prix preview: Six-week, record-breaking spectacle kicks off in Mexico and Kazakhstan
- World League Week 7 Preview: France aim to equal Dutch record
- Poland, Serbia, Turkey and hosts Azerbaijan make European Games semis