Canada and Mexico favourites in NORCECA women’s Pool S
Mississauga, Canada, May 14, 2014 - The road to the FIVB Women’s World Championships in Italy passes through the Hershey Centre in Mississauga, with the NORCECA Qualification Tournament Pool S featuring teams from Mexico, Jamaica, the US Virgin Islands and hosts Canada from May 16-19.
Canada's women finished fourth at last year's NORCECA Continental Championship held in Omaha, USA|
The Hershey Centre has a 5,500 seating capacity and also played host to two weekends of World League action in 2013.
As they look to win the one spot available to the 24-team final stage of the FIVB World Championships in Italy, the Canadian women are expected to face strong competition from the Mexican side, well known for their competitive spirit and defensive skills.
Canada are currently ranked 20th in the world and No. 5 in NORCECA, while Mexico is No. 28 in the world rankings and 6th at a continental level. At last year’s NORCECA Continental Championship, Canada finished fourth, followed by Mexico in fifth position.
The home team includes former college athlete of the year Shanice Marcelle, as well as Brittney Page and Janie Guimond.
“It’s very important that both our men's team and our women’s team qualify in Mississauga, so this makes it very exciting for our coaches and athletes,” said Julien Boucher, Volleyball Canada’s High Performance Director. “We’re looking forward to making our home-country fans proud!”
Based on their continental and world rankings, both Canada and Mexico received byes to the third round of qualifiers. The US Virgin Islands and Jamaica share the 46th spot in the FIVB hierarchy.
In the history of the NORCECA Continental Championships, Canadian teams have won two silver and eight bronze medals, while Mexico have registered two victories to go with their three bronze medals.
The US Virgin Islands (ranked No. 12 in NORCECA) defeated Curacao (25-23, 25-15, 19-25, 25-17) to win Pool C at home in St Croix in 2012, but lost to El Salvador last year in five sets (21-25, 25-21, 17-25, 25-18, 15-9) to decide Pool K, also in St Croix.
Jamaica, ranked No. 13 in NORCECA, won the first-round Pool E in Kingston against Barbados (25-14, 26-24, 23-25, 25-19). One year later, they lost Pool M to Nicaragua in five sets (21-25, 25-14, 22-25, 25-16, 15-10).
Italy will host the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championships for the first time ever this year. The tournament will be held in six cities from September 23 to October 12.
14:00 Mexico v US Virgin Islands
18:00 Canada v Jamaica
14:00 Jamaica v US Virgin Islands
20:00 Canada v Mexico
16:00 Mexico v Jamaica
18:00 Canada v US Virgin Islands
16:00 Third Place v Fourth Place
20:00 First Place v Second Place
Other FIVB news
- Brazil secure fourth slot in World Grand Prix Finals
- Brazil and Argentina to clash for gold at U23 Men's South American Championship
- Serbia, Canada, Turkey, Greece, Slovenia stay on strong pace in World League
- United States begin defense of NORCECA U19 title
- Lozano discusses special relationship with Velasco
- Serbia men's team meet fans ahead of World League games
- Sweden, France, Czech Republic and Italy celebrate golden match victories
- Teams aim for improvement in Bratislava
- Goncharova back in the driver's seat
- Teams in Almaty aim for World League Group 3 Finals
- Argentine boys’ youth team turn focus on continental championship
- VakifBank Istanbul earn wildcard for Women’s Club World Championship
- Three Olympic qualifiers and Thailand face off in Kyoto
- World Grand Prix streams live on YouTube
- Embrace volleyball for Olympic Day
- Watch World League live on YouTube
- Sokolov on target for Bulgaria
- Andrea Giani returns to Thessaloniki after 22 years
- Dominican Republic end Tomsia's scoring run
- Ojansivu inspires Finns in World League Group 2
- Leyva confirms rank in World Grand Prix Group 3
- U23 Men's South American Championship kicks off in Colombia
- Dominican Republic get presidential seal of approval
- WATCH AND VOTE: WL Top five - week one
- WATCH AND VOTE: WGP Top five - Week 2
- Volero Zürich awarded wild card for Women’s Club World Championship
- Villena keeps Spain on track in World League Group 3
- Five things we learned from WL week one
- Five things we learned from WGP week three
- Cartagena gears up for South American U23 Championship
- China and Russia assert dominance in Group 1 of FIVB World Grand Prix
- Natalia ready to deal with Rio pressure
- Serbia continue perfect run in World League Group 1
- Dominican Republic get the gold, Emiliya Nikolova gets the groom
- Video: Marouf’s tricky moves lifts Iran past Argentina
- Video: Russia’s Muserskiy drills through Polish defence
- Video: Orro’s defensive hustle drives Italian point
- Dominican Republic against Poland in World Grand Prix Group 2 final
- Kazakhstan and Croatia final clash for FIVB World Grand Prix Group 3
- Four strong teams in Varna sharing the same goal
- All eyes on Almaty for World Grand Prix Group 3 Finals
- All-European group to compete in World League in Turkey
- Puerto Rico ready to roll after 28-hour trip to Greece
- Expectations are high for Slovenia's volleyball heroes
- Belgium, Brazil, China and Serbia vie for glory in Macau
- Montenegro aim to reach Group 3 Finals again
- Once a refuge for Syria refugees, Kozani now welcomes the best of World League Group 3
- Tickets on sale for World League Finals
- Alekno: Mikhailov is out, but we are still ready to fight
- France and Australia return to scene of epic 2014 clash