Algeria's GSP awarded Women's Club World Championship Wild Card
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 30, 2014 – The International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) and the organisers of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship Zurich 2014 have announced the final wild card for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship Zurich 2014 has been allocated to African champions G.S.Petroliers (GSP) of Algeria.
Safia Boukhima is one of the many star players who feature in both G.S.Petroliers and the Algerian national team|
GSP claimed the Africa club title for the second time on Sunday after beating last year’s FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship participants and Africa champions Kenya Prisons, and join hosts Volero Zurich, 2014 South America Women’s Club Championship champions Sesi-SP, European club champions Dinamo Kazan, the winners of the Asia Club Championship Japan’s Hisamitsu Springs and the other wild card team Molico Osasco of Brazil.
It is the first time Algeria is represented at the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship but the second time for Africa after Posta of Kenya participated in the inaugural edition in 1991 and 1992, and Kenya Prisons played in the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 editions, finishing eighth and fifth respectively.
GSP, who boast many Algerian internationals in their side including libero Salima Hammouche, Aicha Mezemate, Zohra Bensalem, former national team skipper Fatima Zahra Oukazi and star spiker Safia Boukhima who participate in the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, will play in Pool A of the eighth edition of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship Zurich 2014, which features six teams split across two pools and will take place in the Saalsporthalle from May 7 to 11.
Molico Osasco and Hisamitsu Springs open the tournament with a Pool B match at 17:30 local time (15:30 GMT) before Volero Zurich take on SESI-SP in a Pool A game at 20:00 (18:00 GMT). GSP’s opening match will be against Volero Zurich on May 8 at 20:00 (18:00 GMT).
The FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship has had seven different winners from four different countries. Brazil has been represented on the winner’s podium three times, Turkey twice while Azerbaijan and Italy have had clubs step on the top podium once.
Last year’s tournament saw VakifBank Istanbul graduate from European to world champions in front of a packed Saalsporthalle in Zurich. The Turkey representatives beat their South American counterparts Unilever Volei from Brazil in straight sets 3-0 (25-23, 27-25, 25-16) to capture their first ever FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship title.
The FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship, which will take place in Belo Horizonte, Brazil from May 5 to 10, includes defending champions Sada Cruzeiro, who finished second to Italy’s Trentino in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Doha 2012, UPCN of Argentina, who qualified after finishing as runner-up at the South American Men’s Club Championship, European champions Belogorie Belgorod of Russia, African champions Esperance of Tunisia, the NORCECA representative Guaynabo Mets along with the Asia champions Matin Varamin of Iran. The two wild cards were allocated to four time champions Trentino of Italy and Qatar’s Al-Rayyan.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five