Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
Warsaw, Poland, April 9, 2014 - Poland’s Volleyball star Mariusz Wlazly is returning to play for the national team after making his last appearance for the red-and-white side at the 2010 FIVB Volleyball World Championship in Italy.
Mariusz Wlazly playing for the Polish national team at the 2010 FIVB World Championship in Italy, his last appearance to date with the side in red-and-white jerseys |
The comeback of the world-class opposite currently playing for PGE Skra BELCHATOW was announced on Polsat by the head coach of the Polish national team, Stéphane Antiga.
Another player who is coming back to the group is setter Pawel Zagumny who did not play for Poland for the past two years. Lukasz Zygadlo, who got injured shortly before the start of the current season, is also among those listed by Antiga for the 2014 campaign whose climax will be the World Championship that the world’s Volleyball “Mecca” is going to host from August 30 to September 21.
“I have called up players with experience and whose quality is well-known. I have nominated 26 players because the season will be very long and we have many competitions ahead,” the French-born mentor said.
Poland will start their campaign already in mid-May with the second round of qualification for the 2015 CEV Volleyball European Championship where they will take on Slovenia, Latvia and one team qualifying through the First Round. If they finish first at the end of the double round robin in Wroclaw and Ljubljana Poland will book their spot for the Final Round to be co-hosted by Bulgaria and Italy in September 2015.
The Polish national team will also participate in the FIVB World League as well as in the CEV Volleyball European League later this summer. This will be Poland’s debut in the European League where they were assigned to Pool A alongside the likes of Greece, Montenegro, Romania and Azerbaijan. “The calendar is very tight and the risk of an injury is always round the corner, so that is why I called 26 players,” Antiga stressed.
The players will meet on May 5 in Warsaw and straight away move to Spala to prepare for the start of the season. “I can’t way for that day to come. My wish is that our season will end on September 21 in Katowice, playing for a medal at the World Championship,” Antiga said.
The 26 players called by Antiga to compose the roster of the Polish national team for the 2014 season are:
Setters: Fabian Drzyzga, Pawel Zagumny, Lukasz Zygadlo, Pawel Woicki
Opposites: Grzegorz Bociek, Mariusz Wlazly, Dawid Konarski, Zbigniew Bartman, Dominik Witczak
Wing-spikers: Michal Kubiak, Michal Winiarski, Bartosz Kurek, Michal Ruciak, Mateusz Mika, Rafal Buszek, Wojciech Ferens
Middle-blockers: Piotr Nowakowski, Marcin Mozdzonek, Lukasz Wisniewski, Karol Klos, Lukasz Perlowski, Andrzej Wrona, Piotr Hain
Liberos: Pawel Zatorski, Damian Wojtaszek, Krzysztof Ignaczak
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five