FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championships Italy 2014 Drawing of Lots complete
Parma, Italy, March 10, 2014 - Two time defending champions Russia, ranked 6th in the world, face a fascinating first round of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 having been drawn in Pool C to be played in Verona with Thailand (WR12), the Netherlands (WR18), Kazakhstan (WR23) and two NORCECA representatives following the completion of the Drawing of Lots at the Farnese Theatre in Parma on Monday.
A total of 24 countries were drawn across four pools for the first round of the 17th edition of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship, which will be held across six different cities (Trieste, Milan, Modena, Verona, Rome, Bari) in Italy from September 23 to October 12.
The top 12 teams in the world ranking as of January 2014, were placed across the four pools in accordance with the serpentine system. Hosts Italy (world ranking 4) were placed in position 1 before the remaining 11 teams followed.
The remaining 12 teams were drawn across the bottom three positions of each of the four first round pools thanks to the help of Italian volleyball legend Maurizia Cacciatori in front of FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F°, Italy Volleyball Federation President Carlo Magri and FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014 Organising Committee President Carlo Salvatori amongst other dignitaries.
In arguably the toughest group, Pool B in Trieste features Olympic champions Brazil (WR1), Serbia (WR7), Turkey (WR11), Cameroon (WR26), Bulgaria (WR35) and one team from NORCECA still to be determined.
Hosts and 2002 champions Italy, ranked 4th in the world, will play Germany (WR9), Argentina (WR18), Croatia (WR24), Tunisia (WR27) and one more team from NORCECA still to be defined in Pool A in Rome.
The fourth and final first-round pool sees the 2010 World Championship bronze medallists Japan (WR3), grouped with China (WR5), Belgium (WR22), Azerbaijan (WR37) and two NORCECA teams to be played in Bari.
Pools for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship Italy 2014
Pool A in Rome - Italy, NORCECA 2, Germany, Argentina, Croatia, Tunisia
Pool B in Trieste - Brazil, Serbia, Turkey, NORCECA 4, Cameroon, Bulgaria
Pool C in Verona - NORCECA 1, Russia, Thailand, the Netherlands, Kazakhstan, NORCECA 6
Pool D in Bari – Japan, China, NORCECA 3, NORCECA 5, Belgium, Azerbaijan
The last remaining qualifiers in the NORCECA Confederation will take place from May 12 to June 9. For more info click here.
For the Drawing of Lots Press Kit click here.
A record number of 279 teams participated in the qualification process for the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World Championships. This total, coming from 166 national federations across the five FIVB confederations, represents an increase of 65 teams from the previous best of 214 teams from 119 federations for the 2010 World Championships (compared with 102 in 2006, 72 in 2002 and 63 in 1998).
There were 127 teams that have played in the qualification process for the Women’s World Championship.
Russia won their second straight FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship title in Japan in 2010 after beating Brazil in the final. Japan completed the podium after beating USA in the bronze medal match.
For further conversation on the official FIVB Women’s World Championship Twitter account, @FIVBWomensWCH use the hashtag #FIVBWomensWCH. FIVB Facebook fans can also get an inside look at the event leading up to the Championship, including all the details on the Championship trophy. Those who “like” the FIVB on Facebook will discover exclusive content, sure to spark excitement around the world.
Earlier in the day, two new webpages for each of the FIVB Volleyball World Championships were unveiled.
Twitter - @FIVBVolleyball, @FIVBWomensWCH
Facebook – FIVB – International Volleyball Federation
Instagram - FIVBVolleyball
Other FIVB news
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- Montenegro win first round of European League finals
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- China and Japan to meet in 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship final
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- Chinese Taipei to play India for 5th place at the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- World Championship brings out the fan in Professor Fermeglia
- 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championship prepares for semifinals
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Qualification system for 2015 European Games confirmed
- Social Timeline: World League Finals leads to USA gold
- Women’s Club World Championship agreement with Eventcourt confirmed until 2019
- Mexico win final ticket to Italy
- Puerto Rico complete the teams qualified to Poland
- Japan overcome Italy 3-1 in fourth World Grand Prix warm-up
- Team USA Sweeps Cuba to Win NORCECA U19 Gold
- Talking Stats: USA join World League’s multiple gold medal club; Italy win back-to-back bronze
- USA upset Brazil to claim second World League title
- Stats Preview: Brazil, USA set for first-ever meeting in World League final; Italy eye fourth bronze medal
- Talking Stats: USA reach third World League final; Brazil get chance to add more silverware
- Brazil and USA book World League final date
- Volleyball is thrilling a nation, say Italian papers
- Two sets are enough for Turkey to win first European League title
- Stats preview: Iran take first ever meeting with USA; Brazil aim to continue semifinal winning streak
- Top eight confirmed for the 17th Asian Women’s U19 Volleyball Championship
- Talking Stats: Iran guarantee top four finish for the first time; Italy keep clean win-record
- Italian Prime Minister joins President Graca at World League Finals
- Italy v Brazil, USA v Iran in World League Semifinals
- We can be champions, says Amir Ghafour
- FIVB Volleyball World League 2015 formula confirmed
- Iran stand a good chance of qualifying, says Andrea Zorzi
- Talking stats: Iran and Australia in critical, must-win matches to make World League semifinals cut
- Neslihan Demir: Leader, iron lady, flag carrier and mother
- Talking Stats: Brazil end losing streak against Russia; USA recover to record win in World League finals
- Brazil and Italy book semifinal spots on World League Finals Day Two
- We are carrying Brazil's hopes after football failure, says Lucarelli
- Dalhausser and Rosenthal on the hunt for a ‘turkey’ in The Hague
- ‘Brazil have a point to prove’ says Zorzi
- Italy can go all the way on this form, says Zorzi
- The 17th Asian Women's U19 Volleyball Championships open in Taipei