Best teams in the world on deck for Montreux
Montreux, Switzerland, March 7, 2014 - The veil is lifted: at the 29th edition of the Montreux Volley Masters from May 27 to June 1, 2014, Switzerland will welcome to Clarens the current top three teams in the world, namely Brazil, the United States, and Japan.
The Montreux Volley Masters is a traditional warm up tournament for the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, which takes place from July 25 to August 24 |
Participation has never been so eminent in past editions. With China (No. 5 in the FIVB World Ranking), Russia (No. 6), the Dominican Republic (No. 8) and Germany (No. 9), it is no less than seven of the 10 best teams in the world that will be putting their skills on display on the shores of Lake Léman.
Pool A will comprise Brazil (No. 1 in the FIVB World Ranking), China (No. 5), Russia (No. 6), Switzerland (host).
Pool B is composed of USA (No. 2), Japan (No. 3), Dominican Republic (No. 8) and Germany (No. 9).
In Pool A, Brazil and Russia will offer a breathtaking duel to ensure their place in the semi-finals. This battle could be disturbed by China, who also has strong arguments to display in Montreux as the first important preparatory step towards the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, which runs from July 25 to August 24 and the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014, which takes place from September 13 to October 12.
Meanwhile in Pool B the United States (No. 2) and Japan (No. 3) will play the leading roles. But they should be careful as the Dominicans also have a real chance to qualify for the semi-finals. With a brilliant third place in the last edition in Montreux, the Caribbean ladies have shown that the best invitational tournament of the world had a key place in their preparation season. Finally Germany will complete this pool. Reaching the title of Vice European Champion at home in Berlin last September, the Germans will fight hard for each single point in the tournament.
Finally, after a successful return last year, the Swiss national team will be back again in 2014. Along with the qualification for the CEV Euro 2015 (May 16 to 25), the Montreux Volley Masters is the biggest commitment of the season for our young and talented players.
The public can already be excited about this great sports programme but also about coming together again in the friendly and festive atmosphere of the Pierrier sports center.
Additional news about the teams and the full program will be available as of Mid-March at: www.volleymasters.ch
Other FIVB news
- Four qualify for U21 World Championship at Asian U20s
- "World champs show volleyball is still growing" says Sykora
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Chinese Taipei suffer first loss at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Cuba top U23 Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Who will be the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Championship?
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final
- USA and China to battle for gold at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 19 - As It Happened
- Strong start for competition favourites at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship in Thailand
- Volleyball and art collide for a great cause in Milan