Best teams in the world on deck for Montreux
Montreux, Switzerland, March 7, 2014 - The veil is lifted: at the 29th edition of the Montreux Volley Masters from May 27 to June 1, 2014, Switzerland will welcome to Clarens the current top three teams in the world, namely Brazil, the United States, and Japan.
The Montreux Volley Masters is a traditional warm up tournament for the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, which takes place from July 25 to August 24 |
Participation has never been so eminent in past editions. With China (No. 5 in the FIVB World Ranking), Russia (No. 6), the Dominican Republic (No. 8) and Germany (No. 9), it is no less than seven of the 10 best teams in the world that will be putting their skills on display on the shores of Lake Léman.
Pool A will comprise Brazil (No. 1 in the FIVB World Ranking), China (No. 5), Russia (No. 6), Switzerland (host).
Pool B is composed of USA (No. 2), Japan (No. 3), Dominican Republic (No. 8) and Germany (No. 9).
In Pool A, Brazil and Russia will offer a breathtaking duel to ensure their place in the semi-finals. This battle could be disturbed by China, who also has strong arguments to display in Montreux as the first important preparatory step towards the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, which runs from July 25 to August 24 and the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014, which takes place from September 13 to October 12.
Meanwhile in Pool B the United States (No. 2) and Japan (No. 3) will play the leading roles. But they should be careful as the Dominicans also have a real chance to qualify for the semi-finals. With a brilliant third place in the last edition in Montreux, the Caribbean ladies have shown that the best invitational tournament of the world had a key place in their preparation season. Finally Germany will complete this pool. Reaching the title of Vice European Champion at home in Berlin last September, the Germans will fight hard for each single point in the tournament.
Finally, after a successful return last year, the Swiss national team will be back again in 2014. Along with the qualification for the CEV Euro 2015 (May 16 to 25), the Montreux Volley Masters is the biggest commitment of the season for our young and talented players.
The public can already be excited about this great sports programme but also about coming together again in the friendly and festive atmosphere of the Pierrier sports center.
Additional news about the teams and the full program will be available as of Mid-March at: www.volleymasters.ch
Other FIVB news
- Honda presents FIVB with new CR-V
- Teams travel from Sendai and Okayama to Nagoya
- VOTE: Rio 2016 dreams on the line
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 8
- USA, Russia, China, Serbia keep 7-1 win-loss cards on Day 8
- Six teams confirmed for Men's Club World Championship
- USA whitewash Cuba 3-0 to lead World Cup title race
- Favourites gear up for Men's World Cup
- U18 world champion Egonu an ambassador for the new Italy
- Canada coach Barrett: 'We are happy to arrive early'
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 7
- Serbia score huge upset on Russia on World Cup Day 7
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 6
- Brazil claim final USAV Cup win
- Russia and USA stay on top at start of World Cup second round
- Win with the #VabochanChallenge
- Teams expect tough competition in Sendai
- Cuba, Italy and Russia book semifinal tickets at Men's U23 World Championship
- Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- USAV Cup hosts claim first win
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Hosts concede second defeat to Brazil in USAV Cup
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- Men's U21 World Championship match schedule now online
- USA lose to Brazil in USAV Cup opener
- Poland defeat France in Wagner Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- Wagner Cup coaches putting on finishing touches ahead of World Cup
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day
- VOTE: Top of the class?
- Rising star Souza takes Brazil forward