Best teams in the world on deck for Montreux
Montreux, Switzerland, March 7, 2014 - The veil is lifted: at the 29th edition of the Montreux Volley Masters from May 27 to June 1, 2014, Switzerland will welcome to Clarens the current top three teams in the world, namely Brazil, the United States, and Japan.
The Montreux Volley Masters is a traditional warm up tournament for the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, which takes place from July 25 to August 24 |
Participation has never been so eminent in past editions. With China (No. 5 in the FIVB World Ranking), Russia (No. 6), the Dominican Republic (No. 8) and Germany (No. 9), it is no less than seven of the 10 best teams in the world that will be putting their skills on display on the shores of Lake Léman.
Pool A will comprise Brazil (No. 1 in the FIVB World Ranking), China (No. 5), Russia (No. 6), Switzerland (host).
Pool B is composed of USA (No. 2), Japan (No. 3), Dominican Republic (No. 8) and Germany (No. 9).
In Pool A, Brazil and Russia will offer a breathtaking duel to ensure their place in the semi-finals. This battle could be disturbed by China, who also has strong arguments to display in Montreux as the first important preparatory step towards the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, which runs from July 25 to August 24 and the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014, which takes place from September 13 to October 12.
Meanwhile in Pool B the United States (No. 2) and Japan (No. 3) will play the leading roles. But they should be careful as the Dominicans also have a real chance to qualify for the semi-finals. With a brilliant third place in the last edition in Montreux, the Caribbean ladies have shown that the best invitational tournament of the world had a key place in their preparation season. Finally Germany will complete this pool. Reaching the title of Vice European Champion at home in Berlin last September, the Germans will fight hard for each single point in the tournament.
Finally, after a successful return last year, the Swiss national team will be back again in 2014. Along with the qualification for the CEV Euro 2015 (May 16 to 25), the Montreux Volley Masters is the biggest commitment of the season for our young and talented players.
The public can already be excited about this great sports programme but also about coming together again in the friendly and festive atmosphere of the Pierrier sports center.
Additional news about the teams and the full program will be available as of Mid-March at: www.volleymasters.ch
Other FIVB news
- Brazil secure fourth slot in World Grand Prix Finals
- Brazil and Argentina to clash for gold at U23 Men's South American Championship
- Serbia, Canada, Turkey, Greece, Slovenia stay on strong pace in World League
- United States begin defense of NORCECA U19 title
- Lozano discusses special relationship with Velasco
- Serbia men's team meet fans ahead of World League games
- Sweden, France, Czech Republic and Italy celebrate golden match victories
- Teams aim for improvement in Bratislava
- Goncharova back in the driver's seat
- Teams in Almaty aim for World League Group 3 Finals
- Argentine boys’ youth team turn focus on continental championship
- VakifBank Istanbul earn wildcard for Women’s Club World Championship
- Three Olympic qualifiers and Thailand face off in Kyoto
- World Grand Prix streams live on YouTube
- Embrace volleyball for Olympic Day
- Watch World League live on YouTube
- Sokolov on target for Bulgaria
- Andrea Giani returns to Thessaloniki after 22 years
- Dominican Republic end Tomsia's scoring run
- Ojansivu inspires Finns in World League Group 2
- Leyva confirms rank in World Grand Prix Group 3
- U23 Men's South American Championship kicks off in Colombia
- Dominican Republic get presidential seal of approval
- WATCH AND VOTE: WL Top five - week one
- WATCH AND VOTE: WGP Top five - Week 2
- Volero Zürich awarded wild card for Women’s Club World Championship
- Villena keeps Spain on track in World League Group 3
- Five things we learned from WL week one
- Five things we learned from WGP week three
- Cartagena gears up for South American U23 Championship
- China and Russia assert dominance in Group 1 of FIVB World Grand Prix
- Natalia ready to deal with Rio pressure
- Serbia continue perfect run in World League Group 1
- Dominican Republic get the gold, Emiliya Nikolova gets the groom
- Video: Marouf’s tricky moves lifts Iran past Argentina
- Video: Russia’s Muserskiy drills through Polish defence
- Video: Orro’s defensive hustle drives Italian point
- Dominican Republic against Poland in World Grand Prix Group 2 final
- Kazakhstan and Croatia final clash for FIVB World Grand Prix Group 3
- Four strong teams in Varna sharing the same goal
- All eyes on Almaty for World Grand Prix Group 3 Finals
- All-European group to compete in World League in Turkey
- Puerto Rico ready to roll after 28-hour trip to Greece
- Expectations are high for Slovenia's volleyball heroes
- Belgium, Brazil, China and Serbia vie for glory in Macau
- Montenegro aim to reach Group 3 Finals again
- Once a refuge for Syria refugees, Kozani now welcomes the best of World League Group 3
- Tickets on sale for World League Finals
- Alekno: Mikhailov is out, but we are still ready to fight
- France and Australia return to scene of epic 2014 clash