Best teams in the world on deck for Montreux
Montreux, Switzerland, March 7, 2014 - The veil is lifted: at the 29th edition of the Montreux Volley Masters from May 27 to June 1, 2014, Switzerland will welcome to Clarens the current top three teams in the world, namely Brazil, the United States, and Japan.
The Montreux Volley Masters is a traditional warm up tournament for the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, which takes place from July 25 to August 24 |
Participation has never been so eminent in past editions. With China (No. 5 in the FIVB World Ranking), Russia (No. 6), the Dominican Republic (No. 8) and Germany (No. 9), it is no less than seven of the 10 best teams in the world that will be putting their skills on display on the shores of Lake Léman.
Pool A will comprise Brazil (No. 1 in the FIVB World Ranking), China (No. 5), Russia (No. 6), Switzerland (host).
Pool B is composed of USA (No. 2), Japan (No. 3), Dominican Republic (No. 8) and Germany (No. 9).
In Pool A, Brazil and Russia will offer a breathtaking duel to ensure their place in the semi-finals. This battle could be disturbed by China, who also has strong arguments to display in Montreux as the first important preparatory step towards the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, which runs from July 25 to August 24 and the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014, which takes place from September 13 to October 12.
Meanwhile in Pool B the United States (No. 2) and Japan (No. 3) will play the leading roles. But they should be careful as the Dominicans also have a real chance to qualify for the semi-finals. With a brilliant third place in the last edition in Montreux, the Caribbean ladies have shown that the best invitational tournament of the world had a key place in their preparation season. Finally Germany will complete this pool. Reaching the title of Vice European Champion at home in Berlin last September, the Germans will fight hard for each single point in the tournament.
Finally, after a successful return last year, the Swiss national team will be back again in 2014. Along with the qualification for the CEV Euro 2015 (May 16 to 25), the Montreux Volley Masters is the biggest commitment of the season for our young and talented players.
The public can already be excited about this great sports programme but also about coming together again in the friendly and festive atmosphere of the Pierrier sports center.
Additional news about the teams and the full program will be available as of Mid-March at: www.volleymasters.ch
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five