Finnish fans to flock to Poland for first World Champs campaign in 32 years
Helsinki, Finland, February 24, 2014 – More than 650 Finnish fans have already bought tickets to follow their men’s national team that later this year will be competing at the FIVB Volleyball World Championship for the first time since 1982.
Finnish fans in attendance at the Final Round of the 2013 CEV VELUX Volleyball European Championship in Aarhus, Denmark |
There will be a few charter planes taking the Finnish fans from Helsinki straight to Katowice, where the “Suomis” will be playing triple world champions Brazil, Korea, Germany, and another two teams – one from Africa and NORCECA apiece – in preliminary Pool B.
“These 650 people will be all traveling to Poland on one of our official fan trips” explains Hanna Iiskola-Kesonen, Secretary General of the Finnish Volleyball Association. “However, there are many other supporters who will also travel to Poland and have organized the journey on their own. Our fans are really looking forward to attending the World Championship” she adds.
The most-desired package so far is the one whereby the Finnish fans will be attending the last three matches of Pool play at Spodek hall in Katowice. Some of these people will be staying in Poland also for the remainder of the tournament.
Even though six months are still left before the start of the World Championship – the opening game starring Poland and Serbia will be held at the National Stadium in Warsaw on August 30 – the Finnish Volleyball Association estimates that more than 2,000 supporters will find their way to Poland. The always colorful and passionate Finns will be among those to watch out for by the time actions get underway at Spodek in Katowice.
Other FIVB news
- Teams expect tough competition in Sendai
- Cuba, Italy and Russia book semifinal tickets at Men's U23 World Championship
- New Italy coach Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- USAV Cup hosts claim first win
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Hosts concede second defeat to Brazil in USAV Cup
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- Men's U21 World Championship match schedule now online
- USA lose to Brazil in USAV Cup opener
- Poland defeat France in Wagner Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- Wagner Cup coaches putting on finishing touches ahead of World Cup
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day
- VOTE: Top of the class?
- Rising star Souza takes Brazil forward
- Walking in illustrious footsteps
- Taichung Bank and Al Arabi ready for Asian Men’s Club Championship final
- Moim expects Kenya to surprise
- Experienced hosts welcome Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Japan on track for a podium place?
- Arakida: “We aim to develop the best teamwork in the world”
- Hosts Taichung Bank join Paykan, Pavlodar, Al Arabi in semifinals of Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Local Organising Committee prepare Men's U21 World Championship
- Olympic Games places on line in Japan at Women’s World Cup
- #NoiSiamoNoi: Prime Minister Renzi celebrates U18 world champions
- VOTE: Who will win the Women's World Cup?
- 2016 World Grand Prix draw results announced
- Draw held for new World League format
- Brazil win gold medal at Men’s Pan Am Cup
- Hosts Taichung Bank and powerhouses Paykan still in contention for Asian Men’s Club crown
- USA and Italy to battle for the gold medal