Drawing of Lots for men’s and women’s AVC Cup completed in Beijing
Beijing, China, February 23, 2014 – The Drawing of Lots for the men’s and women’s competition of the AVC Cup took place during the Confederation’s Sports Event Council meeting held over the weekend in Beijing. This will be fourth edition of tournament, which was last held in 2012.
Thailand took the title in the 2012 edition of the AVC Cup for women, ending China’s reign in two consecutive editions|
The tournament brings together the top eight Asian Senior Volleyball Championship teams for the highest level of competition in the sport of volleyball on the continent.
The fourth AVC Cup for men, which also acts as the qualification tournament for the 2015 World League, is set to be held in Almaty, Kazakhstan from August 18 to 24. Defending champion China will meet strong challenge from two-time champion Iran in the pool competition.
China and Iran are old foes in the Cup event. Although China lost to Iran in the 2010 finals they pulled off a dramatic 3-1 victory over the defending two-time champion Iran to reign supreme at the third AVC Cup for men in 2012. In this year’s competition, the two teams are drawn into Pool B, which also includes Australia and Thailand, in the preliminary round.
Host Kazakhstan was drawn into Pool A – arguably the tougher of the two groups – and will play against Japan, India and Korea who finished third, fourth and fifth respectively in 2012.
The fourth AVC Cup for Women will be held in Nanchang, China from September 6 to 12, which is also a qualification tournament for the 2015 World Grand Prix.
The eight teams are grouped into two pools with host China playing against Vietnam, Korea and Iran in Pool A. Pool B includes Thailand, Kazakhstan, Japan and Chinese Taipei.
China, champion in the first two editions, failed to defend their title in the third edition held in Kazakhstan in 2012. Thailand was able to avenge its second edition loss to China with a 3-1 win in the final showdown two years ago, brining China’s reign to an end. The host team will certainly use their home ground advantage this year to try and regain their domination in the tournament.
Defending champion Thailand (also a gold medalist in last year’s Asian Senior Championship when they beat Japan and China) will meet Kazakhstan, Japan and Chinese Taipei in Pool B.
Pool A – Kazakhstan, Japan, Korea, India
Pool B – China, Iran, Australia, Thailand
Pool A – China, Vietnam, Korea, Iran
Pool B – Thailand, Kazakhstan, Japan, Chinese Taipei
Other FIVB news
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 16 clubs compete for African queen's title
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Tenth national title for Crvena Zvezda in Serbia
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Undefeated Marek claims third Bulgarian title in a row
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- VakifBank achieves spectacular U-turn in Teledunya Super Cup final
- Halkbank perseveres against Fenerbahce to win Teledunya Super Cup for men
- Belarus’ national leagues enter deciding stage
- Rosario wins the women’s Cup of Portugal
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Coaching staff for age group national teams meet in Argentina
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Brayelin Martínez caps outstanding year with honors from ACD
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Izmir gets ready for men's and women's Final Four in the Teledunya Super Cup
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- Nakhonratchasima VC carrying Thai hopes in Asian Women's Club Championship
- Lienviet Post Bank to represent Vietnam in Women's Asian Club Championship
- Former Dutch women’s coach passes away aged 70
- FIVB Men’s World Championship ticket sales begin Monday
- Bethania scores 55 leading GS Caltex to the crown
- Board backs key World Championships
- Iran’s preparations for big year underway in Tehran
- Puerto Rican Hernandez to be enshrined by EIVA
- Peruvian volleyball joins in World Autism Awareness Day
- De la Cruz erupts with 54 points in GS Caltex victory
- Julio Velasco holds first training session with men's national team of Argentina