Julio Velasco will be the Argentine Seniors Men's coach
Buenos Aires, Argentina, February 15, 2014 - The Board of Administration of the Argentine Volleyball Federation (FeVA) today approved Julio Velasco’s appointment as coach of Argentina’s men’s national volleyball team until the end of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Velasco coached the Iran Volleyball Team since 2011|
The top FeVA authorities voted unanimously to hire 62 year-old Velasco at Friday’s Executive Committee Meeting. “The country’s volleyball authorities support this project, which we believe will be very important for volleyball and Argentine sport. I have noticed our sport officials are excited to go on with a sport project headed by one of the most well-known coaches in the world, who will help us grow the sport and bring a lot of knowledge," said FeVA President, Juan Antonio Gutierrez.
Julio Velasco recently stepped down as coach of the Iran national volleyball team to lead the men’s team in his home country, Argentina. Velasco, who was appointed head coach of the Iran men's national team in 2011, will take up the top job in Argentina following a request from the country’s President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner.
Under Velasco’s leadership the Iran team impressed in their World League debut last year. “We have shown we belong among the world’s best,” said Velasco referring to the team’s impressive record of five wins from 10 matches. Iran was one of the surprise packages of the 2013 World League defeating giants Italy, Cuba, Serbia, and Germany in the tournament and are currently No. 12 in the FIVB World Ranking.
The Argentine also took the Iran team to victory in 2011 when they won the Asian Volleyball Championship title on home soil and helped them secured World Championship qualification. Iran won Pool B of the Asian Men’s Final Qualification Tournament in September last year for their ticket to the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship Poland 2014, scheduled to take place from August 30 to September 21.
“Without the support of the Iran Volleyball Federation this project would have been impossible. They understand the importance of the project that Velasco will head in Argentina," added Gutierrez.
FeVa's Board of Administration also approved the appointment of Professor Osvaldo Celia as Manager of the team. Upon Velasco’s arrival in Argentina on Wednesday, the coach will hold meetings at FeVA's headquarters and an official press conference at 18:00 at a venue still to be confirmed.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance
- Men's U21 World Championship draw to take place in Tijuana
- Draw held in Argentina for U19 World Championship
- Finland know World League target
- World Grand Prix preview: Six-week, record-breaking spectacle kicks off in Mexico and Kazakhstan
- World League Week 7 Preview: France aim to equal Dutch record