Grbic admits dream of playing in World Championship opening match venue
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 29, 2014 – Even after an illustrious career in volleyball playing in some of the world’s best venues, former Serbian volleyball star admits that it is still a ’dream’ to play a volleyball match in a football stadium.
Grbic represented Serbia at the Drawing of Lots ceremony, which took place at the Congress Hall of the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw.|
As was announced on Monday’s Drawing of Lots ceremony, the opening match of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014, which will launch the first round of the tournament, will take place at the National Stadium in Warsaw on August 30.
The match will be played between host country Poland and Serbia who are no strangers to each other on the volleyball court having met a total of 36 times in FIVB competitions.
The hosts of this year’s Men's World Championship have won 23 of these meetings against their Serbian counterparts. The two countries have also competed against each other a total of five times in the Men’s World Championships in 2006 and 2010 with Poland emerging as the winner each time.
Vladimir Grbic, Vice-President of the Volleyball Federation of Serbia was one of the volleyball stars invited to draw the lots to determine the composition of the pools for the first round of FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014.
Grbic was a member of the national team of Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro and won 13 medals: gold and bronze at the Olympic Games (1996 and 2000); a silver medal at the 1998 World Championships; gold, silver and two bronze medals at the European Championships (2001, 1997, 1995, and 1999); silver and two bronze medals at the World League (2003, 2002, 2004); bronze medals at the World Cup (2003), World Grand Champions Cup (2001), and the World Challenge Cup (1996).
When asked about the composition of the groups after the ceremony Grbic said, "Everybody keeps asking me the same question: What do you think about your Pool?
"In volleyball there are no easy rivals. After all, all teams will be here to win, and nobody lacks motivation for this kind of event. However, I think we were a bit lucky in this Draw not to get the French team, as they are a very strong and unpredictable side. But in the end it doesn’t mean anything. Sometimes it is better to have stronger matches in the beginning so the team can get into the right rhythm right from the start. You never know about these things.
"Through the Pool you have to build up your game so when the biggest challanges come you are ready to face them. Our main goal will be to reach the semifinal, like we did on four previous occasions.
"As for the match with Poland in a football stadium, I have to admit that this was my dream. I always wanted to play a match at the football stadium and even to finish my career in that fashion. In fact, I wanted volleyball to be that popular and in Poland I think it will peak."
Other FIVB news
- Georg Grozer: The man with the hammer
- Mladost Marina wins dramatic championship series in Croatia
- Hatinova wins 3 titles in a row from 3 different countries and says good-bye
- Sada Cruzeiro to begin title defence against Guaynabo Mets
- Lokomotiv Kharkiv wins Ukrainian title again
- Danish men’s and women’s volleyball champions crowned
- Antigua pouch Boys' ECVA Youth title
- St Lucia steers course to win ECVA Girls' Youth Championships
- World League accreditation process open to media
- Doprastav claims third Slovakian title in history
- Rabita wins sixth consecutive Azerbaijani title
- Vital Heynen aims to win a medal in the next three years
- Guaynabo Mets prepare for FIVB Men’s Club World Championship
- Quarterfinal line up confirmed at Women's African Club Championship
- Hisamitsu Springs, Tianjin top groups in Asian Women's Club Volleyball Championship
- Triple gold medalist Andrea Giani on past, present and future World Champs
- Getting to know: Belgium “Yellow Tiger” Valérie Courtois
- Slovakia to make the most of World League experience
- Six clubs confirm quarterfinal tickets at Women's African Club Championship
- Two undefeated teams head into last preliminary match of Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 16 clubs compete for African queen's title
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Tenth national title for Crvena Zvezda in Serbia
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Undefeated Marek claims third Bulgarian title in a row
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- VakifBank achieves spectacular U-turn in Teledunya Super Cup final
- Halkbank perseveres against Fenerbahce to win Teledunya Super Cup for men
- Belarus’ national leagues enter deciding stage
- Rosario wins the women’s Cup of Portugal
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Coaching staff for age group national teams meet in Argentina
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries