Poland to host Serbia in special opening match
Warsaw, Poland, January 27, 2014 – Poland will host Serbia at the National Stadium in a dream opening match of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 on August 30 after the successful staging of the Drawing of Lots at the Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
Poland Volleyball Federation President Miroslaw Przede?ski (centre) with FIVB President Dr Ary S. Graca F° and Polsat President Miroslaw Blaszczyk unveil the new FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship trophy|
With the 24 participating teams successfully drawn across the four pools, Poland Volleyball Federation President Miroslaw Przede?ski confirmed that Poland will host Serbia in the 58,000 capacity football stadium to open the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014.
The Volleyball World Championships return to an open stadium after more than sixty years. Moscow 1952 was the last time the Volleyball World Championships were played in an open stadium.
“It will be one of the most beautiful World Championship matches ever,” Mr Przede?ski said. “We are going to show the world what volleyball is. We haven’t had the World Championships before so this will be a special occasion for Poland.”
Poland and Serbia are
no strangers to each other on the volleyball court having met a total of
36 times in FIVB competitions. The hosts of this year’s World
Championship have won 23 of these meetings against their Serbian
counterparts. The two countries have also competed against each other a
total of five times in the Men’s World Championships in 2006 and 2010
with Poland emerging as the winner each time.
Details of the opening match and ceremony were unveiled as Mr Przede?ski also confirmed the rest of Poland’s schedule of matches in Group A, which will be played in Wroclaw.
August 30 Poland v Serbia, National Stadium
September 2 Poland v Australia, Wroclaw
September 4 Poland v Venezuela, Wroclaw
September 6 Poland v CAVB 3, Wroclaw
September 7 Poland v Argentina, Wroclaw
While the rest of the first round schedule will be confirmed in the coming days, the host cities for the tournament phases were announced.
Group A in Wroclaw
Group B will be held in Katowice
Group C in Gdansk
Group D in Krakow
Group E in Lodz and Bydgoszck
Group F in Katowice and Wroclaw
Group G in Krakow and Lodz
Semifinals and Finals in Katowice
With the opening match launching the tournament, the Group A and D matches of the World Championship will begin on Sunday, August 31, with Groups B and C beginning their bid for the Championship title a day later. The second round of the tournament will take place from September 10 to 14 with group E and F matches. The final six teams will battle it out on the courts during the third round from September 16 to 18.
The top two teams from each third round pool will then advance to the semifinals and finals on September 20 and 21 with - in the only difference to the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014 competition formula - the third ranked teams in the third round pools also playing off for fifth place.
The men’s and women FIVB Volleyball World Championships are staged every four years and are the most prestigious event in international volleyball.
Brazil sealed their third straight FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship title in Italy in 2010 after beating Cuba in the final. Serbia completed the podium after beating the home side in the bronze medal match.
The world’s best 24 teams will compete in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014, which will take place from August 30 to September 21
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Fired-up Iran prove too strong for India to claim second win in Incheon
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Las Panteritas prepare for South American Women's Junior Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- Third international Paidar Demir tournament this weekend in Istanbul
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Thailand join China, Japan and Kuwait in quarterfinals of Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Korea and China top groups in Asian Games women's volleyball
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Brazilian coaches on both sidelines without Brazil playing
- Were you at the final?
- Russia stay top of European Ranking while Poland move up to fourth
- Maritza adds well-known names to roster before third edition of Kupa Plovdiv
- Korea, India and Thailand remain unbeaten in Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Dutch earn second win with victory against Thailand
- Italy jersey and official World Championship ball given to the Pope
- Re-live the FIVB Men's World Championship on YouTube
- Japan, China, Qatar men continue strong run in Asian Games
- Day 2 promises to be just as exciting for Women's World Championship
- Korea's women crush Thailand, China beat Hong Kong in Asian Games
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 1 - As It Happened
- Poland surge up rankings after gold medal success
- Japan drop points on opening day
- Social Media Wrap-Up - FIVB Men's World Championship
- Kuwait enjoy strong start at 17th Asian Games
- Russia and the returning Gamova out for a hat-trick of titles
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day -1 - As It Happened
- Pool A coaches honored to play in Rome
- Celebrations in Poland after a record-breaking World Championship