FIVB President salutes Polish passion
Warsaw, Poland, January 27, 2014 – FIVB President Dr Ary. S. Graça F° congratulated the host country of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 for its volleyball tradition and passion as he opened the Drawing of Lots ceremony at Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° was pleased to return to Poland having previously visited the country as a volleyball player|
“It is truly a pleasure to be standing here in this beautiful city of Warsaw for the Drawing of Lots for the 17th FIVB Men’s World Championship,” Dr Graca said. “I would like to thank everyone who has worked so hard to bring together this evening‘s spectacular event. Tonight you will see why Poland was the perfect choice to host this year’s FIVB Men’s World Championship.
“Poland has a strong volleyball tradition and I know that the organisers will make sure that this year’s event will be one that the players and volleyball fans all around the world will remember for many years to come.
“I am happy that once again I am in Poland. As a player I played many times against the Polish team but never won even a set. Now I can be in Poland as a representative of the International Volleyball Federation.”
Polish Volleyball Federation President Miroslaw Przedpe?ski praised the volleyball fans of Poland, who he said will be the difference in making the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014 a huge success.
“This is the moment I have been waiting for years, the emotion is immense. It is a very solemn and interesting moment but for Polish volleyball it is a very sublime moment. This event has become a national event. I am very happy because of that. With partners such as host broadcast Polsat and the organizers of the host cities, who are very much involved in the activities, it will be a superb event which encapsulates the country.
Deputy Minister of Sport and Tourism Thomas Pó?grabski: “History comes full circle. Forty years ago, Polish volleyball players won the gold medal. The Polish government is proud of the fact that we have the opportunity to organize such a large event. I hope our players will give us the reasons why we enjoy not only the achievements but also the organizing of sports. Following the EURO 2012 we are now known as smart and efficient and we proved to be a modern country that can handle such a big challenge as the European Championship or World Cup. I hope that through this event, the world will perceive us as open-minded people, great playing with and loving volleyball.”
Polsat TV President Miroslaw Blaszczyk: “Poland loves volleyball, we love it and I think this is how we can operate. The fans will help us, the world will see the true Poland and its great volleyball passion. It will certainly be a great sporting spectacle. We will show not only matches, as well as the entire background, or conversations with activists and fighters. We hope that our team will rise to the task. We are proud to be able to broadcast the World Championships. For more than a decade we have been broadcasting volleyball. These World Championships will be remembered by everyone.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five