Men's World Championship Drawing of Lots complete
Warsaw, Poland, January 27, 2014 – Three time defending world champions and world No. 1 Brazil will take on Germany (WR10), Korea (WR21) and Finland (WR30) in addition to the second ranked NORCECA team and the top ranked CAVB side (NORCECA and CAVB host their qualification events in May and February respectively) in Group B following the Drawing of Lots which was held at Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
Pool D is arguably the toughest group|
A total of 24 countries were drawn across four pools for the first round of the 18th edition of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship, which will be held across six different cities (Katowice, Lodz, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Bydgoszcz, Krakow) in Poland from August 30-September 21.
The top 12 teams in the world ranking as of January 2014, were placed across the four pools in accordance with the serpentine system. Hosts Poland (world ranking 5) were placed in position 1 before the remaining 11 teams followed.
The remaining 12 teams were drawn thanks to the help of volleyball legends Vladimir Grbric of Serbia, FIVB Player of the Century from Italy Lorenzo Bernardi and Poland’s Tomasz Wojtowicz.
Hosts Poland received a favourable draw with Australia (WR14), CAVB 3 and Venezuela (WR31) joining them in Pool A along with Argentina (WR7) and Serbia (WR9) who were allocated positions via the serpentine system.
Olympic champions and world No. 2 Russia lead Pool C alongside Bulgaria (WR6) and NORCECA 3 and the drawn CAVB 2, China (WR18) and NORCECA 5.
Pool D is arguably the toughest of the four groups with three time champions Italy joined by NORCECA 1, Iran (WR12), France (WR16), NORCECA 4 and Belgium (WR37).
Pools for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014
Pool A - Poland, Argentina, Serbia, Australia, CAVB 3, Venezuela
Pool B - Brazil, NORCECA 2, Germany, CAVB 1, Korea, Finland
Pool C - Russia, Bulgaria, NORCECA 3, CAVB 2, China, NORCECA 5
Pool D – Italy, NORCECA 1, Iran, France, NORCECA 4, Belgium
The Draw was carried out in the presence of FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° and Poland’s Minister of Sport and Tourism Andrzej Biernat.
A record number of 279 teams participated in the qualification process for the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World Championships. This total, coming from 166 national federations across the five FIVB confederations, represents an increase of 65 teams from the previous best of 214 teams from 119 federations for the 2010 World Championships (compared with 102 in 2006, 72 in 2002 and 63 in 1998).
There were 148 teams that have played in the qualification process for the Men’s World Championship.
Brazil sealed their third straight FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship title in Italy in 2010 after beating Cuba in the final. Serbia completed the podium after beating the home side in the bronze medal match.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 9 - As It Happened
- USA continue their winning streak to stay on full points at 2014 Women’s World Champs
- Korea and China prepare for Asian Games final
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Fired-up Iran prove too strong for India to claim second win in Incheon
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Las Panteritas prepare for South American Women's Junior Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- Third international Paidar Demir tournament this weekend in Istanbul
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Thailand join China, Japan and Kuwait in quarterfinals of Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Korea and China top groups in Asian Games women's volleyball
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Brazilian coaches on both sidelines without Brazil playing
- Were you at the final?
- Russia stay top of European Ranking while Poland move up to fourth
- Maritza adds well-known names to roster before third edition of Kupa Plovdiv
- Korea, India and Thailand remain unbeaten in Asian Games men’s volleyball
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Dutch earn second win with victory against Thailand
- Italy jersey and official World Championship ball given to the Pope
- Re-live the FIVB Men's World Championship on YouTube
- Japan, China, Qatar men continue strong run in Asian Games
- Day 2 promises to be just as exciting for Women's World Championship
- Korea's women crush Thailand, China beat Hong Kong in Asian Games
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 1 - As It Happened
- Poland surge up rankings after gold medal success
- Japan drop points on opening day
- Social Media Wrap-Up - FIVB Men's World Championship
- Kuwait enjoy strong start at 17th Asian Games