Men's World Championship Drawing of Lots complete
Warsaw, Poland, January 27, 2014 – Three time defending world champions and world No. 1 Brazil will take on Germany (WR10), Korea (WR21) and Finland (WR30) in addition to the second ranked NORCECA team and the top ranked CAVB side (NORCECA and CAVB host their qualification events in May and February respectively) in Group B following the Drawing of Lots which was held at Warsaw’s Palace of Culture and Science on Monday.
Pool D is arguably the toughest group|
A total of 24 countries were drawn across four pools for the first round of the 18th edition of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship, which will be held across six different cities (Katowice, Lodz, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Bydgoszcz, Krakow) in Poland from August 30-September 21.
The top 12 teams in the world ranking as of January 2014, were placed across the four pools in accordance with the serpentine system. Hosts Poland (world ranking 5) were placed in position 1 before the remaining 11 teams followed.
The remaining 12 teams were drawn thanks to the help of volleyball legends Vladimir Grbric of Serbia, FIVB Player of the Century from Italy Lorenzo Bernardi and Poland’s Tomasz Wojtowicz.
Hosts Poland received a favourable draw with Australia (WR14), CAVB 3 and Venezuela (WR31) joining them in Pool A along with Argentina (WR7) and Serbia (WR9) who were allocated positions via the serpentine system.
Olympic champions and world No. 2 Russia lead Pool C alongside Bulgaria (WR6) and NORCECA 3 and the drawn CAVB 2, China (WR18) and NORCECA 5.
Pool D is arguably the toughest of the four groups with three time champions Italy joined by NORCECA 1, Iran (WR12), France (WR16), NORCECA 4 and Belgium (WR37).
Pools for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship Poland 2014
Pool A - Poland, Argentina, Serbia, Australia, CAVB 3, Venezuela
Pool B - Brazil, NORCECA 2, Germany, CAVB 1, Korea, Finland
Pool C - Russia, Bulgaria, NORCECA 3, CAVB 2, China, NORCECA 5
Pool D – Italy, NORCECA 1, Iran, France, NORCECA 4, Belgium
The Draw was carried out in the presence of FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° and Poland’s Minister of Sport and Tourism Andrzej Biernat.
A record number of 279 teams participated in the qualification process for the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World Championships. This total, coming from 166 national federations across the five FIVB confederations, represents an increase of 65 teams from the previous best of 214 teams from 119 federations for the 2010 World Championships (compared with 102 in 2006, 72 in 2002 and 63 in 1998).
There were 148 teams that have played in the qualification process for the Men’s World Championship.
Brazil sealed their third straight FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship title in Italy in 2010 after beating Cuba in the final. Serbia completed the podium after beating the home side in the bronze medal match.
Other FIVB news
- Georg Grozer: The man with the hammer
- Mladost Marina wins dramatic championship series in Croatia
- Hatinova wins 3 titles in a row from 3 different countries and says good-bye
- Sada Cruzeiro to begin title defence against Guaynabo Mets
- Lokomotiv Kharkiv wins Ukrainian title again
- Danish men’s and women’s volleyball champions crowned
- Antigua pouch Boys' ECVA Youth title
- St Lucia steers course to win ECVA Girls' Youth Championships
- World League accreditation process open to media
- Doprastav claims third Slovakian title in history
- Rabita wins sixth consecutive Azerbaijani title
- Vital Heynen aims to win a medal in the next three years
- Guaynabo Mets prepare for FIVB Men’s Club World Championship
- Quarterfinal line up confirmed at Women's African Club Championship
- Hisamitsu Springs, Tianjin top groups in Asian Women's Club Volleyball Championship
- Triple gold medalist Andrea Giani on past, present and future World Champs
- Getting to know: Belgium “Yellow Tiger” Valérie Courtois
- Slovakia to make the most of World League experience
- Six clubs confirm quarterfinal tickets at Women's African Club Championship
- Two undefeated teams head into last preliminary match of Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 16 clubs compete for African queen's title
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Tenth national title for Crvena Zvezda in Serbia
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Undefeated Marek claims third Bulgarian title in a row
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- VakifBank achieves spectacular U-turn in Teledunya Super Cup final
- Halkbank perseveres against Fenerbahce to win Teledunya Super Cup for men
- Belarus’ national leagues enter deciding stage
- Rosario wins the women’s Cup of Portugal
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Coaching staff for age group national teams meet in Argentina
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries