Fenerbahce ends VakifBank’s winning streak at 73
Istanbul, Turkey, January 27, 2014 – Fenerbahce SK Istanbul stopped the terrific winning streak of VakifBank Istanbul at 73 on Saturday as the “Yellow Angels” beat the reigning club world champions in straight sets (25-22, 25-22, and 25-19) in a Turkish national league match.
The players of Fenerbahce celebrate their straight victory whereby they ended at 73 the terrific winning streak of 2013 club world champions VakifBank |
VakifBank’s last defeat dated back to April 10, 2012 where the side led by coach Giovanni Guidetti had lost to Eczacibasi VitrA in the second round of the Championship series of the Turkish national league. Their remarkable run of victories included an inaugural FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship title in Zurich last year.
The “big match” started pretty well for VakifBank who opened with a 7-2 break before their opponents responded with an 8-1 run to make it 10-8. The score remained very close up to the second technical time-out, and after another tie at 22, the set was decided by a mistake of Polen Uslupehlivan, an ace by Aneta Havlickova and an attack killed by Korean superstar Kim Yeon-Koung (25-22).
VakifBank was once again off to a very good start also in the second set (8-6) but things changed again and by the time his team was trailing 11-14, Guidetti decided to field Serbian-born opposite Jovana Brakocevic, who was back in action after missing a few matches due to injury. However, she also could not change the course of the game and Fenerbahce pocketed the second set by blocking Carolina Costagrande (25-22).
After another good start by VakifBank (5-1), Fenerbahce stormed back flipping the charts around already at the first technical time-out (8-6) and from there onwards controlled the game with Kim eventually top scoring with 22 points while Jovana Brakocevic was the only player of VakifBank to finish the game in double digits (11).
VakifBank will resume their European campaign next week playing France’s RC Cannes in the Playoffs 6 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League while Fenerbahce SK is set to play Czech champions Agel Prostejov in the Challenge Round of the 2014 CEV Volleyball Cup – Women.
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five
- Russia and USA meet in World League 'Match of the Week', live on YouTube
- Edgar leads Volleyroos in Group 1 challenge
- Kovac: "It will be very difficult to win"
- Group 3 travels to Taldykorgan for FIVB World Grand Prix opening weekend
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- Australia and Brazil not worried about fatigue
- Australia ready for improved World Grand Prix performance