Croatian ladies have sight set on World Champs ticket
Rovinj, Croatia, January 3, 2014 – The hosts Croatia plus the national teams of France, the Netherlands, and Hungary will be vying through this weekend for a ticket to the Final Round of the FIVB Volleyball Women's World Championship Italy 2014. The European Third Round tournament is set to take place at the gymnasium hall in Rovinj, a place many volleyball fans have become familiar with since it has hosted a number of international tournaments in recent times.
Croatia’s head coach Angelo Vercesi, team captain Sanja Popovic and team manager Juraj Jogunica at the press conference they attended in Rovinj before the start of the World Champs qualifier |
The winners of this tournament will make it to the Worlds while those finishing in second will have to wait for the results of the other Pools to see whether they are one of the two second-placed teams with the best score. The hosts of Croatia will debut on Friday with Hungary and this will also mark the premiere of head coach Angelo Vercesi at the helm of the team.
Brazilian-born Vercesi, who is also the head coach of Azeryol BAKU, was appointed only a couple of weeks ago: “Though we had a very short time to prepare for this tournament we have done a good job and I think that we are ready for this very important competition” Vercesi says. “I am very pleased with the current condition of my players and I think they are very motivated and committed to achieve the goal we have set. We did not have any time for tactical nuances but these players have been together for quite some time and I guess that this won’t be a problem. The Federation has done a good job while preparing for this tournament and now it is our turn to perform well” Vercesi says.
The importance of the tournament is showed by the arrival in Rovinj of Mr. Zlatko Matesa, who is the President of the Croatian Olympic Committee. Matesa will be waiting for good news also from Ludwigsburg where the men’s national team is also playing to make it to the 2014 Worlds taking on Germany, Estonia, and Turkey.
On Friday the Netherlands will open the tournament playing France while hosts Croatia debut with Hungary.
Other FIVB news
- Coaching assistance programme takes place in Haiti
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship