Finland have sight set on first World Champs appearance in 30 years
Ljubljana, Slovenia, December 29, 2013 – Finland will be trying to make it to the FIVB Men’s Volleyball World Championships for the first time in more than 30 years via the third-round qualifier scheduled through January 3-5 in Poprad, Slovakia.
Matti Oivanen is one of the players who is supposed to anchor Finland to their first World Champs appearance since 1982 |
Their head coach Tuomas Sammelvuo failed five times to achieve this goal during his long competitive career but this time wants to break that negative trend. Sammelvuo is confident that Finland stands a good chance to make it to the World Champs coming up next September in Poland.
“The team is feeling good and all players are in a great shape. We only had a very short time to prepare for the World Champs qualifier, but everything went good. A place for the Final Round of the World Champs is our only goal” Sammelvuo says. The Finns first got together in Kuortane before they traveled to Ljubljana to play two friendly matches with Slovenia at the Tivoli hall. Through January 3-5 Finland will then play Ukraine, Greece, and hosts Slovakia for a spot in the Final Round of the World Championships. “We are going to play three tough teams but they all are within our reach. Ukraine and especially Greece remain big question marks to me at the moment” Sammelvuo adds, recalling that the final lists of 12 players will be known only on the eve of the first competition day.
The Finnish mentor can count on some experienced players including Mikko Esko and Olli Kunnari who are embarking on their third attempt to make the Worlds. Nine out of 12 players have already registered more than 100 caps with the national team.
On the other hand, there are four rookies who never played the World Champs qualification before: setter Eemi Tervaportti, libero Lauri Kerminen, and wing-spikers Elviss Krastins and Niklas Seppänen.
The other players retained by coach Sammelvuo for the World Champs qualifier in Poprad are: Mikko Esko, Matti Oivanen, Jukka Lehtonen, Konstantin Shumov, Olli-Pekka Ojansivu, Urpo Sivula, Olli Kunnari, and Antti Siltala.
The last time Finland played at the World Championship was in 1982 as the group around Heikki Montonen finished 17th at the competition held in Argentina (Rosario and Buenos Aires).
Other FIVB news
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week five