Atom Trefl and Igtisadchi complete line-up for Playoffs 12 of women's Champions League
Luxembourg, December 17, 2013 – The League Round of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League – Women came to a close on Tuesday with the last round of matches where another two tickets to the Playoffs 12 were at stake. The line-up for the knock-out stage is therefore complete waiting now for the Drawing of Lots scheduled for Thursday morning at 11:30 am (CET) where Volleyball fans will also get to know the organizer of this year’s Final Four tournament.
Azerbaijan's rookies Igtisadchi Baku were the last team to claim a spot in the Playoffs 12 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League - Women |
The 12 teams that made the Playoffs 12 are: Rabita BAKU and Omichka OMSK REGION (Pool A); RebecchiNMeccanica PIACENZA and Dinamo MOSCOW (Pool B); VakifBank ISTANBUL and Atom Trefl SOPOT (Pool C); Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL and RC CANNES (Pool D); Galatasaray Daikin ISTANBUL and Prosecco Doc-Imoco CONEGLIANO (Pool E); Dinamo KAZAN and Volero ZÜRICH (Pool F). The last to claim their pass to the Playoffs 12 were Poland’s champions Atom Trefl SOPOT that needed to win one set in their sixth game of the preliminaries with Romania’s Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI. The Atomic girls looked a little nervous and lost the opening set of their home game at the ERGO Arena but promptly got back on track to win the second and start the party with their many fans.
Actually there was another spot in the Playoffs 12 at stake for one of the above teams will organize the Final Four tournament and thereby skip the Playoffs to be back in action only for the last and final stage of the competition. Azerbaijan’s rookies Igtisadchi BAKU are the “lucky loser” after they finished the prelims with eight points following on their home victory over Serbia’s Crvena Zvezda BEOGRAD. They eventually edged the competition brought by their compatriots of Azeryol who looked like the pre-favorites in this race before the last round but who lost in straight sets to last year’s bronze medalists Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO to miss on a spot for the next round.
Azeryol will continue their European campaign in early February by joining the Challenge Round of the 2014 CEV Volleyball Cup together with another three teams that played in the prelims of the CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League. These are Germany’s DRESDNER SC, Czech champions Agel PROSTEJOV and Romania’s Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI. They will all wait for the 1/4 finals to be completed in January before they get to know their respective opponent in the Challenge Round.
Back to the Champions League, three teams finished the prelims with an immaculate record of six victories in as many matches, i.e. Rabita BAKU, VakifBank and Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL, with the two sides from Turkey’s megalopolis who dropped only one set on their way to the Playoffs. Turkey and Russia are the only countries with three teams in the knock-out stage, while Italy and Azerbaijan have two apiece. Poland, France, and Switzerland complete the grid with one team each.
For further information visit www.cev.lu
Other FIVB news
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- Coaching assistance programme takes place in Haiti
- FIVB Volleyball World League - As it happened
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support