Pre-favourite teams move on to Playoffs 12 in CEV Champions League
Luxembourg, December 13, 2013 – A few teams booked this week their ticket to the Playoffs 12 of the 2014 CEV DenizBank Volleyball Champions League after completion of the fifth round in the prelims. The remaining spots for the second stage of Europe’s elite club competition will be assigned next week as the last round is coming up on Tuesday and Wednesday for women and men respectively before the much awaited Drawing of Lots for the Playoffs 12 follows on Thursday morning at 11:30 am CET.
40-year old Volleyball legend Nikola Grbic anchored Zenit Kazan to a 3-1 away victory over archrivals Lokomotiv Novosibirsk to eliminate the winners of the 2013 edition from the race for a spot in the Playoffs 12 of the CEV Champions League |
Just before the DOL, CEV President André Meyer will also announce the organizers of the Final Four tournaments coming up in March and where the next kings and queens of European Volleyball will be crowned.
The breaking news came on Wednesday as the winners of the 2013 edition, Russia’s Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK, lost 1:3 their home game with arch-rivals Zenit KAZAN to bid farewell to the competition and miss out on an opportunity to retain the title they had won last March in Omsk. Another medallist from last year, Italy’s Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO, could not avoid another – their fifth straight – setback in the prelims and is also out of contention for a spot in the Playoffs 12 of the women’s competition.
Three teams have an immaculate record – and maximum 15 points – after five rounds of the men’s League Round are complete. Russia’s Belogorie BELGOROD still has to drop a set and showed they are a major force to be reckoned with this year as they routed also Greece’s champions Olympiacos PIRAEUS in straight sets to book first place in Pool B as well as a ticket to the Playoffs 12. A similar feat was achieved also by three-time champions Diatec TRENTINO of Italy that routed Swiss rookies Energy Investments LUGANO to cement their leadership in Pool D while Belgium’s Knack ROESELARE does not stop to surprise as they also cruised to their fifth straight victory by edging Turkey’s still winless underdogs Galatasaray FXTCR ISTANBUL.
As they beat TOURS VB in straight sets on Thursday night, Italy’s vice champions Copra Elior PIACENZA also secured first place in Pool A as well as a ticket to the next stage while the battle is still open in all other Pools. Turkey’s Halkbank ANKARA was surprisingly edged by Romania’s Tomis CONSTANTA in the fifth round, so the star-studded team mentored by Radostin Stoytchev will travel to Poland and play JASTRZEBSKI Wegiel there next week to claim their pass to the next phase. In Pool C there are still three teams – PARIS Volley, Asseco Resovia RZESZOW, and Budvanska Rivijera BUDVA – vying for the Playoffs 12 while Zenit KAZAN and Lube Banca Marche MACERATA made sure they will continue their journey but next week will be going for another “clash of the titans” in the capital city of Tatarstan to try to finish top of the charts in Pool E.
In the women’s competition 11 teams have arithmetically claimed their qualification to the Playoffs 12: Rabita BAKU and Omichka OMSK REGION from Pool A; Dinamo MOSCOW and RebecchiNMeccanica PIACENZA from Pool B; VakifBank ISTANBUL (Pool C); Eczacibasi VitrA ISTANBUL and RC CANNES (Pool D), Galatasaray Daikin ISTANBUL and Prosecco Doc-Imoco CONEGLIANO from Pool E plus Dinamo KAZAN and Volero ZÜRICH from Pool F. Poland’s Atom Trefl SOPOT will be hosting next week Romania’s Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI for the last round of the prelims and will have to take at least one set from that game to make the next round. Actually also the third-ranked team with the best score will continue its campaign in the Playoffs 12 replacing the organizers of the Final Four; so far Azeryol BAKU with seven points is the “hottest” contender for this supplementary spot, but Dinamo Romprest BUCURESTI and Agel PROSTEJOV as well as Igtisadchi BAKU may be a factor as well.
There are four teams with an immaculate record so far in the competition as Rabita, VakifBank, Eczacibasi VitrA and Dinamo KAZAN all have swept five consecutive matches, with the very best record belonging to Eczacibasi for the players from Turkey’s megalopolis have not lost a set since the start of the prelims.
For further information visit www.cev.lu
Other FIVB news
- Coaching assistance programme takes place in Haiti
- FIVB Volleyball World League - LIVE
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- FIVB World Grand Prix 2015 - LIVE
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Serbian fans show their support
- FAN VOTE: Your play of week seven
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Bright future awaits multi-talented Nora
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Holubec thanks fans for their support
- Draw maps out U21 World Championship