Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
Tokyo, Japan, November 21, 2013 – After completion of the first round in Kyoto, the 2013 FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Grand Champions Cup has moved to Tokyo. Andrea Zorzi reviews the second day of action where Brazil claimed their second victory after edging USA in straight sets while Russia and Iran got back on track after their respective setbacks on the opening day defeating Japan and Italy respectively.
Even Japan superstar Kunihiro Shimizu could not do much to stand Russia's physical power and quality as on Wednesday the hosts lost in straight sets to the reigning Olympic and European champions in Kyoto |
Zorzi shares some thoughts also on Japan and its strengths and weaknesses. Though many do believe that Japan still lacks height and size to stand some of the best volleyball teams in the world, the former Italian star and double world champion (in 1990 and 1994) believes the Japanese men shall learn from their countrywomen, improve their play in defence and reception to lay the foundations for a possible comeback to the international elite. Size does matter, but this is not the only thing that currently impacts on Japan’s performances.
Zorzi also had a short chat with his former mentor Julio Velasco who is currently coaching two-time Asian champions Iran. On Wednesday Velasco’s side beat Italy in five sets to cement their credentials as the up-and-coming volleyball force. Velasco reviews his experience at the helm of the Iranian national team as well as the many things he got to learn from his stay in the Islamic Republic.
Watch Andrea Zorzi's Day 2 review and an interview with Julio Velasco:
Other FIVB news
- Live - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 6
- Win with the #VabochanChallenge
- Teams expect tough competition in Sendai
- Cuba, Italy and Russia book semifinal tickets at Men's U23 World Championship
- New Italy coach Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- USAV Cup hosts claim first win
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Hosts concede second defeat to Brazil in USAV Cup
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- Men's U21 World Championship match schedule now online
- USA lose to Brazil in USAV Cup opener
- Poland defeat France in Wagner Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- Wagner Cup coaches putting on finishing touches ahead of World Cup
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day
- VOTE: Top of the class?
- Rising star Souza takes Brazil forward
- Walking in illustrious footsteps
- Taichung Bank and Al Arabi ready for Asian Men’s Club Championship final
- Moim expects Kenya to surprise
- Experienced hosts welcome Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Japan on track for a podium place?
- Arakida: “We aim to develop the best teamwork in the world”
- Hosts Taichung Bank join Paykan, Pavlodar, Al Arabi in semifinals of Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Local Organising Committee prepare Men's U21 World Championship
- Olympic Games places on line in Japan at Women’s World Cup
- #NoiSiamoNoi: Prime Minister Renzi celebrates U18 world champions
- VOTE: Who will win the Women's World Cup?
- 2016 World Grand Prix draw results announced
- Draw held for new World League format
- Brazil win gold medal at Men’s Pan Am Cup